“Loved Fairlawn Inn and innkeeper, Chuck”
Review of Fairlawn Inn

Fairlawn Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We had booked the whole Fairlawn Inn for us and our guests for my daughter's wedding in the Catskills. Upon meeting Chuck, we felt that the Fairlawn Inn suited our needs and looked forward to his home-cook breakfast.s Chuck was very accomodating as our most of our guests hailed from overseas. We felt extremely at home in his Inn and we truly admired all this paintings and lovely decor. His lunch was excellently prepared and he sent a bottle of champagne to my daughter and her wedding party as they were preparing for the wedding. My relatives had a great time in the inn and loved the warmth and the beautiful ambience of the Fairlawn Inn. Chuck was indeed very helpful and was prepared to help us with any thing. He was just fabulous and when we go the Catskills, we'll definitely stay in the Fairlawn Inn. My daughter was very impressed with his hospitality. Great Inn and inn keeper.

Ann Flowers

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 15, 2008

We found the accomdations superb and fascinating, the inn-keeper cordial, welcoming and enjoyable, the home-cooked breakfast delicious, and the ambiance unique and interesting. The location is excellent for Catskill tourism. The innkeeper was helpful in directing us to the beautiful sites of the Hudson River School of Arts paintings.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed September 14, 2008

I have to strongly disagree with the previous 2 negative reviews. My partner and I found this charming B&B after looking in a local magazine. We decided to book it on faith and had a wonderful evening.

We arrived and were greeted by the innkeeper and given a warm welcome. The room was clean and comfortable and while the TV was a bit small, you are in the catskills after all- who needs a huge plasma flatcreen? The home was decorated uniquely. There was never a dull moment looking around at the tasteful art and antiques. There was even a pool room which was such a delight!

The innkeeper was neither creepy nor pretentious. I found him a delight to converse with. He was friendly, smart, well traveled, witty and hospitable. After a long week of very little contact with anyone, it was pleasant to be staying at the home of someone so engaging and lighthearted who--unlike many other inn keepers or B&B owners, made you feel perfectly at home and didn't have any petty and inhospitable restrictions about roaming the premises.

I am an avid world traveler and overall I must say that this has been one of the most delightful places I've stayed in quite a while. And on a final note, the breakfast was exemplary. I highly recommend this inn.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2008

My husband and I had our first B&B experience at the Fairlawn Inn. Our getaway to the Catskills was planned around relaxation, the great outdoors, and beautiful surroundings. We found all of this and more at Fairlawn.

The reservation process was convenient. Directions to the Inn precise. All aspects of arrangements were easily made. At our arrival (which was a little earlier than we'd expected) we were greeted warmly by the Innkeeper/Owner. We were given house rules, if indeed this is the correct term, which are based on common courtesy and guest safety. We were pleasantly surprised at having access to several common areas which consisted of most of the first floor.

Hubby and I had discussed before our arrival that the atmosphere would be different than staying at a hotel. Although respect should be shown by guests at any establishment, we felt that entering someone’s home required that extra step. We felt that we gave that and the same respect was shown to us.

The house is spacious and beautifully decorated. Being a lover of the Victorian era, I was delighted to take in the antiques, artwork and wide selection of books. The lamps and stained glass were a delight. The long porches and gazebo areas offered a lovely view of Hunter Mountain at one end and the well planned gardens, patio and water feature at the opposite end.

The Gazebo Room located in the turret was like going back in time. Attention to detail could be seen everywhere. Breakfast was spectacular and well presented. We were happy to have Chuck join us (when all guests had been served) for breakfast both mornings of our stay. Like us, he has a tremendous sense of humor and we enjoyed the socializing as well as helpful tips on things to see and do.

All in all we loved our stay and would highly recommend the Fairlawn Inn!

Sheila & Joe from Pennsylvania

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Because of some personal issues, my partner and I have not traveled this year, but are looking forward to traveling more later in 2008. We have stayed at the Fairlawn Inn several times over the past several years and have always enjoyed ourselves. Chuck is a warm and humorous host, not to mention a fabulous cook. Let me say I am not a friend/family member of Chuck's, but the negative remarks against him leave me puzzled. No, this isn't a minimalist boutique hotel, so if that's what you're craving, sure, you will be disappointed with the traditional decor. Like other B&B's I've stayed in, you will not be able to order from an extensive menu or buffet of hot breakfast items like you can in a big hotel restaurant, so if that's what you want, sure, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you want a charming B&B decorated with antiques with a innkeeper who makes delicious food and provides helpful advice about the Catskills area. then I think you will like the Fairlawn Inn.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We were a group six, and our stay at the Fairlawn Inn was outstanding.

When we called to make our reservations Chuck wasn't available, but Kathy helped us and everything went without a hitch. She sent us a confirmation by email right away, together with directions and a list of recommended restaurants. She also gave us her personal recommendation for dinner. She was extremely nice and helpful. We had a few more email exchanges with various questions which were answered promptly.

We arrived at the inn on time and Chuck was waiting for us. Unlike other reviewer's experiences, Chuck was extremely nice and friendly, and he never forced us to do a tour of the house. He explained all the rules of the inn and gave us his personal recommendations for things to do an places to eat. It's true that Chuck's rules are strict, but they were not an inconvenience to us; on the contrary, we understand they are necessary to keep the place safe and organized, and to provide a high level of service to all guests.

We stayed in the Gazebo room, which was very clean, bright, and had complimentary water. The bath had many accoutrements, including the obligatory clean towels, soap and shampoo, and also bath salts and a disposable razor that came in handy since we forgot to bring one. All in all better than some of the best hotels.

Like other reviewers have noted, there were complimentary snacks downstairs, breakfast selection was very good, portions were abundant and delicious, and service was very courteous. Chuck even offered us more food. Check in and check out were quick and easy.

Consider the Fairlawn Inn as a great place to stay when you're in the Catskills area. We were very pleased with our experience and are definitely planning to return.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2008

We stayed at the Fairlawn in June for a weekend. The place, overall, is fine for a Catskill weekened; however, the Innkeeper, Chuck, is extremely moody and rude, making the time spent there unpleasant.

As soon as we arrived, Chuck was in one of his "moods" and told us that our arrival was making his life difficult - SERIOUSLY. He then proceeded to give us a tour of the place, during which he described that breakfast is served from 8am-9am (not a minute earlier or later), and you absolutely CANNOT order something not on the "menu" - otherwise, Chuck becomes extremely unhappy and starts complaining. During our stay, he gave us good suggestions for hikes and restaurants - so no complaints there. But, he also forced us to go on a 1/2 HOUR tour of his paintings that are hanging around the Inn - we had to look at a clown he painted when he was 10 - everytime we tried to escape, he kept forcing us to go look at more paintings until I finally said that we had somewhere to go.

Overall, the place is EXTREMELY overdecorated - there is no where to turn without running into a piece of furniture. The beds are quite comfortable and the bathrooms are o.k - showers have good water pressure. He has snacks available downstairs - but make sure you don't take more than one of the freshly baked pastries - only ONE per person. He also has bugspray and sunscreen around the Inn, which is pretty convenient considering how many bugs there are around.

This place gets pretty mixed reviews from me b/c, in general, it's a good place to stay; however, I will not be returning because of Chuck's attitude. He seems to forget who is paying whom. I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2008
3  Thank NYCTravel08
Ctomajko, owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2008

A few comments from the owner of the inn about this review.

If I monopolized anyones time or did not make them feel most welcome, my apologies. I cannot remember a guest complaining about the time I spent with them showing them some paintings or the collections I have accumulated over the last 30 years. Most guests have been appreciative of the time I spent with them - time spent normally only when there was an interest shown. The house is decorated in high Victorian Style and for that I will not apologize. Most guests find it charming, cozy and very comfortable.

Breakfast is served from 8-9am and is never restricted in quantity. I offer juice, something freshly baked, freshly cut fruit and then a breakfast menu. The menu consists of organic giant eggs, bacon, sausage, three different omelets and either pancakes or French toast. I do ask guests to stick to the menu as "off the menu" preparations affect all guests in food quality and timeliness. Latecomers do have fruit, baked items and coffee if they choose. Special menu requests are handled when we take the reservation so we are prepared for those special requests.

I do offer sunscreen, bug off sprays etc. and thought that to be an "extra" - no one can be expected to control the insect population but you can try to make it more comfortable for the guest.

If you see the other reviews you will see that guests are very impressed with every facet of my inn. I take an incredible amount of time and effort to insure it is clean, hospitable and that every guest gets more than they expect. That possibly did not happen in this case so again my apologies for any shortfall they experienced.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Hotel Vienna
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 3 in Tannersville
Beds On Clouds Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!