“Will definitely not be returning to the Fairlawn Inn”
Review of Fairlawn Inn

Fairlawn Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hunter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Will definitely not be returning to the Fairlawn Inn”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Frankly, I don't know how this place has a 4.5 star rating, and this makes me question relying on Tripadvisor for my next destination, so I would give this place a generous 2 stars, and its pretty much a reiteration of what previous honest reviewers have said.

Pros:
- VERY close to Hunter mountain, and amazing views!
- the woman and young man who work there are very nice!
- breakfast is great! a choice of eggs, a goat cheese omelet, pancakes or waffle.

Cons
- the owner, Chuck, is a very uptight person!! I needed to give an exact arrival time, and when i called to say i will be late, it was initially no problem. However, when we got to the inn, we were informed that because we were not there at the initially promised time, and got there at 5 pm (a pretty reasonable check-in time), the inconvenience we caused will mean that we will having a dog in the next room. I was actually shocked that anyone would say anything like that, never mind a business owner, but this gave me a terrible first impression of the place. the dog did in fact bark, but that wasn't the problem, the problem was how he spoke to me and my family, and the insinuation that somehow we were not good guests or something, since we came two hours later. I honestly don't know why Chuck requires such a specific notice, because he sits home on his computer all day, as anyone staying there knows he is home all day long.....
- there are signs everywhere- telling you what to do, what not to do. i have included several pictures of this
- sure the house is unique, but its also very cluttered and things don't work properly. There is very little space to make yourself feel at home, as there is already a bunch of stuff everywhere, and most of it is not practically useful, like the outdated lamps inside the room basically provide no lighting whatsoever.
- the thermostat was locked up!! it was freezing inside the room, and for that kind of price, i would at least liked to have a little warmer room. when i approached chuck about it, i basically had to beg him to unlock the thermostat and move it two degrees higher. Unbelievable!
- the house smells. Sure, some may like it to smell like their grandma's house, but a little air freshener wouldn't kill anyone.
- breakfast coffee is terrible. for the price we paid to stay there, they could have at least not reused the coffee for our pot! And speaking of breakfast, there are not enough tables and chairs for everyone, so you may have to sit at some other part of the house, or wait till other people get up to get your breakfast, since they only serve it for an hour.
- the bed is EXTREMELY hard and uncomfortable! my and my boyfriend's neck hurt the next day!
- charged my mother an extra $40 per night to stay with us, but please tell me where that money went, because the only extra thing he had to do was make her an extra waffle in the morning, which was like what $7-8 at Ihop?

Basically, if you like to go to old smelly houses, be talked down to by the 'host' who also charges you > $200 for your experience, yes this place is for you. If you like to go to cozy, friendly inns or hotels, look elsewhere, we know we will.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank mfabisevich
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
First of all I apologize to this guest if her experience did not warrant the 4.5 stars that is a normal experience here at the inn. We have 66% of our reviews before this posting rating us Excellent and an additional 19% Very Good. I would ask that readers of this review read further reviews and see what is normal and customary at the Fairlawn.

Check- in times are flexible and she arrived in an appropriate time frame so her comment is unusual. She indicated that the dog in the next room was a consequence of a late check in. In reality it was a courtesy I extend to every guest staying in rooms that adjoin a visiting “friend” aka dog. We are very happily a dog friendly establishment. The room next door was incidentally one of the dog friendly rooms and I informed her about the dog so if there were any issues during their stay to contact me and I would address them. She did not indicate that there were any issues with the dog. She had originally booked that room but moved to another one to accommodate a third person that was added last minute.

I find her comment of me being on the computer all day funny as I work hard to insure that the inn is clean, updated and a great environment for guests. In addition, I shovel the snow, cook breakfast, clean rooms and maintain the house. If I am on the computer it is most probably me taking a reservation or checking email. On most occasions the inn is a one man show and hosting at the Fairlawn is like keeping up with a family of 18 when you are full. I happily had a busy holiday season.

The rooms are individually decorated with lamps for reading, comfortable chairs and updated annually. That room maybe a little more crowded as it has a daybed to accommodate the additional person. The thermostat is set on a universally acceptable 68 degrees and the covers are to insure every guests needs are considered since several rooms share them. I raised the temperature upon request and heard nothing more from the guest so I assumed she was happy. The notices she photographed are posted about our being a “green” establishment and are informative about that, and ask guests to participate.
The house does not smell (bad) as it is filled with scented candles for the holidays and impeccably clean. We made coffee especially strong for them on request as our normal coffee was too weak in their estimation. We tried to accommodate them as much as possible. The dining room has enough seating for all guests but tables on occasion must be shared.

The mattresses are Serta Perfect Sleepers and get rave reviews all the time so I am a little surprised at that comment of them being uncomfortable. The charge for the third guest in the room is standard at most establishments and was discussed with this guest prior to arrival in lieu of a second room. She also neglected to say that I baked some eastern European cookies that were a traditional Christmas cookie to give them on departure, since we had a similar heritage. We had several conversations during their visit so I was surprised at her commentary on this review.

We pride ourselves on our hospitality and are concerned that this guest did not feel that we met or exceeded their expectations. Historic Homes are what they are, charming, eccentric, cozy and comfortable and a great place to stay in lieu of cookie cutter chain hotels but it is not for everyone. Again I apologize to this guest for any inconvenience or perceived lack on our part.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My fiancé and I decided on a last minute ski adventure this past weekend. We could not have been happier with our stay at The Fairlawn.

Because our plans were last minute, we were not able to find a sitter for our dog and were lucky enough to find an inn that could accommodate him. We stayed in a beautiful end unit room with fireplace and stunning Victorian wallpaper. It had enough space for us and the dog to be comfortable. Water pressure was great, especially for such an old home.

Chuck made us delicious breakfast of pancakes and omelette. He was very easy to talk to, and also quite gracious about our late check in.

Extremely close to Hunter mountain, we can't wait to stay here again. Thank you so much Chuck!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the cozy Fairlawn Inn for a night this past weekend, after a long day of hiking around Kaaterskill Falls. The inn was very accomodating for our early evening check-in time, which was 2 hours ahead of schedule, and was in a perfect location just minutes away from the park. Chuck the innkeeper was terrific - he made sure our room was well-prepared, clean, and even upgraded us to a gorgeous, spacious room with a wonderful bathroom the size of the bedroom itself! Highlights of our stay:

- Green: Everything at our stay we experienced had a mind towards being green: from the complimentary Tom's products, to the peppermint soap and shampoo/conditioner dispensers in the shower. We appreciated this very much!

- Homey: clean, comfortable, and really neat accomodations throughout the inn that made us feel at home.

- Delicious! Chuck made us a fantastic welcome cheese platter (a gift from friends who knew of our arrival) with homemade apple bear jam/goat cheese that was to die for. Breakfast the next morning was equally mouth-watering.

- Friendly and hospitable: we had a great stay, got some good recs for sites around town, and hope to be back soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I decided on the spur of the moment to take a short trip to relax after a busy summer - I'm a nurse and had spent long hours filling in for others on vacation, and my husband's organization has its annual major fundraiser toward the end of August, with many hours going into the preparation. While I worked a 12 hour shift on Tuesday, my husband scoured the internet for some not-too-far-away ideas, and presented me with three or four options when I returned home. On Wednesday morning we took off for Hunter, NY, destination the Fairlawn Inn, and we are so glad we did.

Despite living in NY all our lives, this particular part of the Catskills was new to both of us. The natural beauty of the area was stunning, and the Fairlawn Inn was an incredible bonus to our trip. A gorgeously restored building, with meticulous attention obviously given to decorating details, and yet ecologically conscious as well, with obvious thought given to limiting waste. We stayed in the Willow room, which had a wonderfully restful covered patio with comfy wicker lounges right outside the door on the second floor balcony; we are both avid readers and it was a perfect spot to relax and read. Or nap!

Chuck proved to be a very thoughtful innkeeper who made us feel very much at home, with many good suggestions for things to do and places to eat in the area. Breakfast of course was at the Inn, and it was beyond compare. We prefer to stay in B&Bs when travelling if possible, and this was easily the best breakfast we have ever had at a B&B. We only stayed two nights, wishing it could have been longer, and are already thinking about planning a return trip to explore all the area has to offer, and possibly during ski season as well! A very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Room Tip: We were able to view a number of rooms as we were the only guests while there, they are all equally...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer J
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I feel compelled to write about this B&B because I am truly amazed at the number of 5-star ratings its get, and so I wonder if something is amiss. A search through recent reviews show that most guests do drop extraordinary superlatives on this place -- and a very small fraction leave awful reviews. I also find it odd that the proprietor responds at length to each review -- I haven't seen that before, but to be perfectly fair, he's a nice guy, cares about the property a lot (perhaps less so about the guests, I fear) and he's a bit high maintenance, an attribute which permeates the whole place and makes it slightly uncomfortable. All in all, it's not a bad inn, but having stayed at a number of B&Bs over the years, I really don't understand the plethora of 5-star ratings that reviewers lodge on this lodge, and I have to admit I'm a tad suspicious.

I found the place very decent during my stay in June -- but it's not superlative. And Chuck, who really is a fine fellow, is probably a bit too high strung about the work of running an inn, from my perspective. For instance, as other reviewers have stated, I've never been to a B&B that requires an exact time of arrival, and you're made to feel that you're greatly inconveniencing the proprietor if that changes, or if you are unable to be absolutely precise with your arrival. (Hunter's a very small town. I suggest he carry his cell phone with him and therefore he could meet you at the door within 5 minutes if he were anywhere out and about.) There are also lots of signs within the inn about what you can and can't do. And there is really only a single seating for breakfast. (If I'm not mistaken, it's from 8:30-9:30am. So you better show up on time.) Most other inns will give you a 2- or 3- hour window -- which, like the arrival time, is not as guest-friendly as one would hope.

A word on the rooms. I found them a bit uncomfortable. They are heavily decorated and so there really isn't adequate space to lay your suitcase or sit comfortably. I understand it's an inn, not a hotel, so rooms tend to be smaller. But if a room is smaller, don't crowd it with unnecessary furniture. Also my shower was rickety so I had to truly balance within the shower so that it wouldn't (feel like it was about to) keel over. And then there's a sign warning me to make sure the shower curtain is in the shower at all times so that the water doesn't leak out. Fair enough, although the sign could be a bit more gentle. But the shampoo dispenser (he's "green" so there's no shampoo bottle or soap bar) is located on the wall outside of the shower. Good luck making that work. Thus, the whole process of showering turns out to be way too complex and -- in order to get the soap/shampoo and not violate the rules of the water on the floor -- I kid you not, the shower curtain ends up encroaching on the showeree. So I had the shower curtain adhere to my naked skin while showering. Not a pleasant feeling -- especially since I wouldn't expect that the shower curtain is not sterilized after guests leave.

I don't mean to offend Chuck. He's a good guy and probably there are guests who adore him and who he adores back. And I would stay there again -- if he'll have me, after this review. But seriously. This is a 3-circle inn, not a 5-circle inn.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank GimmeExtra
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The week of August 21, my wife and I spent 4 wonderfully relaxing days in the Catskill Mountains and the Fairlawn Inn. The Inn was built in 1904 and still has much of its striking interior woodwork and charm. We stayed in the Green room, which is light and has a very large bathroom. I would also recommend the Gazebo room, which is blue and filled with morning and afternoon sun light. The Opal room also gets the morning sun and is the largest room in the Inn.

Chuck creates wonderful omelets and decadent French toast. Breakfasts are a real treat and since we, along with a few other guests, usually took our time, Chuck would join us for some delightful morning chatter. After all isn’t that one of the reasons we stay at B&B’s.

Friday night was our last night at the Inn and was most memorable. We never made it to dinner, as we sat out on the lovely garden patio in the cool of the evening with another couple, Chuck and his friend, drinking some wine(you need to provide your own, Chuck will provide the glasses), nibbling on a spinach artichoke dip that Chuck had quickly thrown together (it’s not really part of the deal but something he did on a whim), taking in the glow of the fire pit and enjoying the conversation.

The restaurants that Chucked recommended, The Village Bistro and Vesuvios, are excellent.

We tried the mid level zip line offering on Hunter Mountain, which is a lot of fun.

If you have the time visit Olana, it’s without question well worth the visit.

And last of all hike!!

Room Tip: See my comments about three of the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
We at the inn and other guests congregated each night around the fire pit and bonded. This was one of two couples that visited mid-week and all of us had many conversations and laughs. The innkeeper is appreciative of the compliments and that they enjoyed visiting our beautiful area. Visiting an area B&B is a good way to get recommendations of what to do, where to go, where to eat and I am glad they enjoyed the suggestions. Thanks for the conversations and compliments, we hope you return often.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This past June, I assisted my father in traveling to the Hunter/Tannersville area to attend a class reunion. While my father stayed in a nearby house with classmates, I had the pleasure of a room at the Fairlawn. As you can see from the pictures, the building and grounds are beautiful. During the days, the cozy and cheerily appointed room gave me the quiet I needed to get some work done (totally solid WiFi), then join my father to socialize in the evenings.

Chuck, the owner/proprietor, was polite and thoughtful in making sure that I had everything I needed. My only regret was not making it to breakfast more than once (jet lag + other obligations). If I again make this trip with my father, there's no doubt I'll find myself back at the Fairlawn.

Austin

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AustinA529
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
We are glad this guest enjoyed his time here.

His father rented the entire house for a 50 year reunion several years ago. That was a nice thing to behold. Much fun, laughter and a good time was had by all. And, the ladies present did all the cooking and the inn was spotless on their departure.... I think on Friday they cooked for 38 people.

I was honored with induction into the "class of 1957" as a result. This year they stayed somewhere smaller but took the time to come and visit, tour the gardens and visit again. We hope to see them again next year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!