“Overpriced, dirty, poor service, but good location”
Review of Hunter Inn

and 1 more site!
Hunter Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hunter
Brooklyn, NY
“Overpriced, dirty, poor service, but good location”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I am not sure exactly where to start with this review. I had very high hopes for this "inn" since it looked great on the website and the reviews here sung its high praises.

Sadly, I cannot concur with any of the positive reviews.

After a 3 hour drive we check into a room which had the thermostat set to a brisk 60 degrees. We raised the temperature to the mid 70s but it took over an hour to get the room warmed up. As a result, my girlfriend and I had to keep our jackets on for over an hour in order to avoid freezing. This is not the best or smartest way to welcome your guests, especially since they were expecting us at a certain time, and we were there at that time.

Next is the shower situation. The hot and cold water must be engaging in some sort of civil war at this inn. I'd preset the shower to a "warm" temperature and it would be fine for a few minutes. Then, at random, it would either become scolding hot or freezing cold. I am not joking either, it became extremely hot incredibly quickly and subsequently my arms, chest, and legs aquired a bad heat rash for over a day from it. My girlfriend was not using the sink/toilet at the time so I am not sure what caused these insane temperature fluxes. This happened every day.

On the surface, the room looks clean but it clearly is not cleaned properly. Along the corners of the room and the areas behind the backboard of the bed are incredibly disgusting. Behind the backboard of my bed I found; a bunch of different and moldy jelly beans, tissues, a couple of dead bugs (not sure which kind), dust, mold, a couple of crushed pretzels, and other stuff I didn't recognize. It's really not hard for the staff to get one of those vacuums with the nozzel and quickly vacuum behind the bed. It was so gross sleeping in those beds night after night.

The hotel has many different vending machines, but none of them seem to be stocked with any beverages and I tried them all. The ice machines do have ice though.

The bar seemed to be the only safe haven in this place. The drinks were a bit pricey; a beer and a cranberry vodka cost $19, but it was clean and well maintained. Also, the breakfast was pretty good and it felt quite cozy eating there in the morning.

The only thing this place seems to have going for itself is its location. It's about 5 minutes to the mountain and right down the road is a gas station which has plenty of sundries and food at good prices. We bought lots of snacks and drinks for the room. Also, about 10 minutes away is a sort of Main street with restaurants and shops.

The bottom line? Do yourself a favor and rent some one's vacation home. If you plan on going up to Hunter Mountain more than once, then it would be in your best interest to do this. A friend of mine rented a small, but cozy apartment for the entire season (December through March) for $1,500. In contrast, we paid over $500 for only 2 nights at this place. I recommend staying away from this place if I were you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank YankeesFan27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Tinton Falls, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great experience at the Hunter Inn this past weekend. Went up for a quick ski trip with 8 of my buddies and the Hunter Inn was everything we needed plus some.

STAFF -(Hotel) was more than accommodating but still stayed true to their audience with a friendly yet no - BS attitude. Girl at the front desk went out of her way to make sure everything we wanted/requested was taken care of but wouldn't be pushed around. Night Security was always present and mitigated any "shenanigans" quickly before non-nightlife participating guests were disturbed. (Bar/Restaurant) - Bar tenders were friendly, fast and poured well. Waitresses - had the same girl twice - did the job "Ok" but I think a job is hospitality might be a stretch for her.

CLEANLINESS- Probably cleaner than your house. I went to the breakfast buffet in my socks and didn't feel like I need to burn them afterwards. Room(s) were clean and well appointed. Housekeeping staff did a great job every day.

AMENITIES - Bar/Restaurant all noted above. Lobby has a great feel and complementary coffee and tea throughout the day/night. Nice hot tub outside, make an appointment at the front desk (smart move by the hotel management - no one needs NY'ers fighting over "hot tub time"). My only complaint was that the water wasn't that hot. Management, if you're reading this, HOT water is great after a cold/hard working day on a mountain. Great little game room on the ground level with video/table games for all age levels. The hotel also offers a TV room, for what I don’t know, but hey, they do offer it.

PARKING/TRANSPORT - Parking is plentiful and well organized. As for transportation - I wish they offered a shuttle to the mountain given their close proximity. I think that might be in the works though as I noticed a small school bus outside the Inn.

SKIING - this is totally unattached to the Inn but I have to say something about it. Hunter Mountain is for Strong Intermediate/Advanced skiers. While the mountain is flooded with first timers it might be wise for your safety/the safety of others for all those who are on rented skies, wearing designer jeans on the mountain and/or like to cruise slowly while taking WIDE turns to go to Windham. In sum - beginners/morons don't ski Hunter. Let there be a sacred place in the Catskills were people who have a clue can go and do what they love to do.

In sum, stay at the Hunter Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank James G
New York
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I typically stay here when we go to Hunter. The rooms are nice and clean and the property is very close to the mountain. The staff is always very nice and accommodating. In the past the only let down of any visit was the outdoor hut tub was not working.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was here in July for a long weekend with my boyfriend. The front desk was phenomenal. Very friendly. Our first night was so good that we stayed a second night. Unfortunately the room we had the first night had wet carpet. I think it was just cleaned - not sure but still stayed another night. Breakfast was very good. Peaceful and tranquil surroundings. Would go back in a heart beat!

Room Tip: Higher floor is more quiet - facing the mountain is an awesome view in the morning.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Hunter Inn in Hunter, NY to attend the Celtic Festival at Hunter Mt. There weren't a lot of choices in the area and this is the place our group leader chose for us to stay. I would go back because the staff was very nice, breakfast buffet very good and location to the mountain within walking distance. There was a "play area" on the lower level with a ping pong table, video games, pool table, etc. There are a few picnic tables in the back and rooms have small balconies. It is a ski lodge type inn and we expected it to be somewhat rustic, but were surprised at the lack of amenities. It advertised a bar, which was never open - no bartender available. The rooms were average, beds extremely hard and pillows terrible, thin and hard. The bathroom had a tub/shower combo with some mold or old grime along the edges of the walls. If possible, bring your own pillows. The price was very high for the level of accomodation, but perhaps raised because of the Celtic Festival.

Room Tip: If interested in using the balcony or you care about the view, request a mountain view room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hunter Inn one evening (6/9/12) as he was participating in a triathlon event in the area over that weekend. We looked for lodging nearby the North/South Lake State Park and this hotel fit the needs very well. It is located right on Route 23A surrounded by beautiful grounds; there is a huge lawn/picnic area in the back that guests can use at their leisure.

We stayed at room 102 which is on the ground level and faces the picnic area on the back. It has a nice back patio with benches and a patio umbrella (see pictures). Laura (one of the hotel owners) recommended this room to have convenient access to the ground and the parking area since my husband was bringing bicycle equipment to dismount from the car. The room was very spacious and clean with two queen size and very comfortable beds, with simple decor but adequately appointed with a large TV set, toiletries in the bathroom and blow drier.

The lobby has a very nice fireplace which makes it very cozy and inviting. There is free wi-fi internet access available in the lobby area (only). There is also a game room in the ground level with some arcade game machines as well as a ping-pong table, a foosball table and a pool table. There is supposed to be a small fitness room (next to the game room) but the equipment was out of order.

The hotel serves a complimentary continental breakfast from 6-8 am and a very nice buffet breakfast (with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, pancakes, cereal, fruits, bagels, assorted breads, coffee, tea, juices, etc.) from 8-10 am on the weekends. The staff is very friendly and helpful, eager to answer any questions and assist guests with their questions and needs.

We certainly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to this area. It offers great rates, a great location, clean premises, and very good service.

TIP: We also recommend visitors to this area to take a car ride along 23A heading west, and make a long loop as follows (this was the main bike route for triathlon participants doing the Half and Full IronMan): Take route 42 South, then route 28 East to reach the little village of Phoenicia and then take Route 214 North back to route 23A. It is a very nice scenic route, about 50 miles long... you can stop at Brio's restaurant in Phoenicia to enjoy delicious pizza and Italian food (highly recommend the seafood and pesto pizza!!)

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground level allow guests to have direct access to a back patio and the parking are...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed at the Hunter Inn over the long weekend and had a really nice time. The staff could not be nicer and more friendly and we will definitely be back. We did not realize that breakfast came with the room and that was a nice surprise. They had a nice continental breakfast and some really great fresh fruit. Considering that I did not see a grocery store anywhere around that was a nice touch. We also enjoyed the bar one night and had a good time listening to the musician they had playing there.

The rooms were clean but I think the carpet could use to be replaced as well as the curtains. It was a bit old. Just a suggestion. The bed is hard but we both slept great! Our room was near the lobby so it was easy in and out with our things but if you are traveling here over the weekend and go to bed early you might request a room further from the lobby as the sound carries from the bar.

The staff is very informative about the area and what is happening. We did not have the time to check out many of the local places as we were in town for an event that tied up most of the weekend. There was a list of different fun things to do in the room and they were telling us about some different festivals etc during the year that I am sure we will come back for.

We ate at Salena's Diner and at the Last Chance Tavern while we were in town. I loved my wrap at Salena's and thought the candy store at Last Chance was a very tempting draw - yummy. My husband loved the burger at Salena's but was not as crazy about the one at Last Chance.

Overall I would give the Hunter Inn really high marks. If they replaced the carpet, curtains that don't fit the windows, and the older bedspread I would give it a 5 star rating.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness center - there is a hot tub for the winter though.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjj2red
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Hotel Vienna
#1 of 6 in Hunter
The Sun View
The Sun View
#2 of 2 in Tannersville

Been to Hunter Inn? Share your experiences!