“Worst Customer Service Experience of my Life”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hunter
Kaatskill Mountain Club
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hunter
GreenLeadersBronze level
Marshfield, Massachusetts, United States
“Worst Customer Service Experience of my Life”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I called The Mountain Club to make reservations as a friend of mine is getting married there this summer. When calling reservations I spoke with someone named Isabella who was rude and uncooperative. I was asking questions about the different types of rooms they have as we're traveling with a big party. I was told "to shut my mouth and let her explain what they offer and then I can make my decision." Are you serious? I felt like I was on the job interview scene from Step Brothers. What a joke. I told her I would have to speak with her manager at the end of the call. After that she was semi helpful but not really. Once I (finally) got on the phone with the manager she told me she was "only the manager on duty" and they don't record their phone conversations so she has no idea of what was actually said. Completely unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Katie H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed in Kaatskill Club the first week in January of 2013. Like all skiing-place hotel, the lobby was always wet and little dirty. Not too serious. The room was old fashioned but clean and big enough and includes a good kitchen and Jacuzzi.They have a Bar but I don´t drink too often and I have no comments about. If you don´t like to ski, you must not go. Hunter is very small town and bored. There is a good Mexican restaurant but nothing else. The ski lifts are at hotel hotel and there are green, blue and black slopes very friendly. The ski rentals out side the hotel; on the main street were cheaper. If you like shopping you have to drive one hour to the south to Kingston when you may find Target, Marshall and others. None of them have too much items in store.
For Skiing, Kaatskill Club is a good choise

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Enrique M
NY
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am trying to be as un-biased as possible on this review, we stayed here for almost nothing because our Cousin owns a timeshare here. We stayed in 1 bedroom accomodations. There was a pullout couch and a Murphy bed and a separate bedroom. You could SUPER comfortably sleep 6. You could easily fit up to 10 people in here for a weekend ski trip and move a table around a bit with a few air mattresses. The room was overall very clean and staff was friendly. The 1 bedroom unit was very BIG had a full kitchen and fully stocked with utensils plates etc. I will not comment on the rates because I did not pay what others paid so it would not be fair. Overall I would definately recommend the hotel if you can split the costs with others. The outdoor pool is really awesome with adjoining hottubs and huge fire pits. Looking forward to our next adventure there!!!! Snow tube park was a blast for all of our kids too! The ONLY critical comment about this place was the tube TV's in the rooms, for charging what they a night they can easily afford to throw a few flatscreens in the rooms that go for under $200 a pop nowadays. Other than that a pleasure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was hesitant to stay here when reading so many negative reviews. I decided to give it a shot anyway. The room itself was clean, very nice, marble counters in the kitchen. JAcuzzi in the bedroom. Spacious, had a balcony over looking the mountain. I was very content with the room.

At the end of the day you are still at Hunter Mountain. Very small mountain. Not many trails, but I came for the weekend and because it was convenient. I expected a larger mountain but it is what it is.

Bring a lot of food, (And a frying Pan.) Make use of the kitchen because it is probably your best bet for food around here. Van Winkles had very good food, but how many times can you eat at the same restaurant. I enjoyed staying in with my girlfriend and cooking dinner with the fireplace going and the radio on. Don't even bother going into town for food. This town has 1 traffic light in it, so i think that gives you a fair judgment of the types of establishments it has.

It was nice, but $375.00 a night could probably be spent better. I wanted to book wyndam but they had a convention and were sold out. Overall i would recommend this to a friend though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We always stay at this hotel because it is right at Hunter mountain and is most convenient. The room decor is fairly dated but I expect that at seasonal, mountain hotels. The rooms are spacious and have fireplaces in them which is awesome! I have never had a complaint about the housekeeping services. There is a heated outdoor pool, two hot tubs, sauna and steam room to use free of charge..... all are wonderful. The pool is my favorite..... you can jump in while indoors and swim out. It is especially fun when it is snowing out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Well,let me just start with the day that we reserved the room.my father In law was thinking about to go skiing before New Year's Eve and I said let's go to hunter because I never been there.my wife was looking online and It said that one night for a big size room was about 500$ .first It says that there was no rooms available and then we called the place and asked the guys if there was rooms available,they said there was room and it was 650$.the price online was 150$ less.what a disaster !!! Ok ,so we booked it even there was a big difference of the price. We got there , we unpacked ,put our stuff away and started getting comfortable.the first thing people do when they get to the hotel room is :they take a shower.there was no hot water !!!! For two straight days ,which is horrible.nobody showered the day we got there and the next day we checked out.we called the front desk but they didn't do anything about it .the next thing was the lockers. I wanted to go to the pool outside and relax a little bit .the lockers didn't have locks,which means I have to leave my stuff unatended.the pool closes at 10:30 pm which I think is to early to close down.and also the next day they opened very late in the afternoon.i think for the money we paid we got nothing !!!! They're put the prices up because if the holidays ,I think they're just overpriced.i wouldn't recommend it to anybody to go there!!

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Brooklyn84
HunterResort, Guest Relations Manager at Kaatskill Mountain Club, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
All room pricing and descriptions for the Kaatskill Mountain Club can be found on our website: http://www.kaatskillmtnclub.com/Page2.aspx?Link=KaatskillMtnClub&PageID=35. The advertised rates are for midweek and weekend, however the site also clearly states "All rates subject to change without notice. The rates listed are based on our peak season and do not reflect holiday periods or low season rate schedules". Depending on the time of the visit the rates may be higher or even lower than those advertised rates. In this instance the rate was based on a Holiday period as it was during the Christmas/New Year’s Holiday week.
Our goal is to have our guests as comfortable as possible during their stay. All maintenance requests are handled immediately upon a guest bringing them to our attention.
The pool lockers do not have locks as their intended purpose is to store shoes or extra towels while guests are enjoying the pool or hot tubs. All guests are welcome to leave valuables at the front desk where they can be locked in safety deposit boxes. Often guests will utilize the front desk to store laptops, phones, cash, jewelry, etc. The pool hours are from 2pm to 10pm as reviewed at check in with all guests.
We are sorry that this guest and company did not enjoy their stay with us. We offer more than just rooms here at the Kaatskill Mountain Club, we also host a variety of activities free of charge to enhance our guest’s stay. We encourage all guests who feel that they did not have an enjoyable experience to contact our management office regarding any issue such as the lack of hot water mentioned in this review.

Travelers are raving about these Hunter hotels

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 26, 2012

After a long day of skiing at Hunter Mountain, we walked to my car only to discover my keys were MISSING. It was so late, AAA couldn't tow us anywhere that could make a new key for my Honda...and we trudged up the hill following signs for the Kaatskill Mountain Club and Van Winkle's, hoping for a room and a drink (or 3).

We were SO lucky to find this lovely hotel.

Mary, at the desk, was so gracious and accommodating! She found us the best deal on a room and even lent us her phone charger for the night so we could call AAA in the morning. Andrew, the concierge, drove us down into town to pick up supplies and even stopped to help us look for the key on the way back up -- he was amazing! Van Winkle's served us a delicious dinner, and the bartender warmed us up with beautifully crafted cocktails and cold beer.

I cannot say enough about this great hotel, bar, restaurant and the people that run it. The night turned out so much better than we had expected, and it is absolutely thanks for the amazing people at the Kaatskill Mountain Club. Thank you!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bethany D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Hunter Inn
#3 of 7 in Windham
Xenia Resort
Xenia Resort
#3 of 6 in Hunter

Been to Kaatskill Mountain Club? Share your experiences!