“Horrible Customer Service!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hunter
Kaatskill Mountain Club
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hunter
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I understand that it’s off-season but really? One of the first things we were told by the front desk staff was that we had a balance of around $30 for taxes since we had purchased a living social voucher. I actually travel quite a lot and usually you pay your balance when you check out (and to be clear, it’s not what she said but how she said it). A hello and welcome would have been nice. Our experience with the front desk staff did not improve from there. Nice hotel but horrible customer service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bjohn21

Reviewed July 11, 2012

The KMC website states stay two nights - get one night free available during the first couple of weeks of July, August, and September 2012. We stayed July 2nd to July 6th. We made reservations over the phone about a month in advance, but never got any sort of confirmation email as promised. Called back twice to have them send me the confirmation, but never did get it. Very nice folks on the phone trying to cooperate, but obviously no power to execute my request.
Now the really insulting part... Instead of the advertised daily room rate of $180/night, which is the advertised weekday rate, we were told that because of the stay two - get one free "deal", the daily room rate would be $220/day. So instead of saving $180 we wound up saving $100 for the 3 nights stay. Still not bad, but was actually stay 2 nights, get 1/2 night free.
When we complained about the rate to Jennifer, the General Manager, we were told "didn't the confirmation email explain everything?" When I explained we never got the confirmation (and now we see why), we were told that is highly unusual as they "always" confirm with an email.
On another topic, the package "deal" included a daily continental breakfast. WHAT A JOKE! Off the lobby they had a fold-out table with some old coffee in a pot and some very sad looking muffins. That's it!!! And they told us about the continental breakfast with a straight face at check-in. Some other issues included thin walls and ceilings (can hear every step of the people above us), very dated TV's (with interference/snow on many of the channels), no SPA service available eventhough we asked 2 days in advance for a mani-pedi, etc, etc.
All in all we love the area, but this place really, really needs to clean-up their act if they expect not to go belly-up (i.e. Chapter 11). Their reputation in town is pretty bad, and after speaking with several guests about the situation, no one will be returning anytime soon.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor so you don't have to hear the folks staying above you.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Barry K
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife and I have spent a lovely 4th of July in the GORGEOUS Kaatskill Mountain Club . The rooms are lovely,the area breathtaking,the bar and restaurant very friendly and inviting,very good food. The drive up is one of the best in the northeast. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peter R
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We have not even stayed here yet and it's already turning into a bad experience... We will be attending a wedding at Hunter Mtn. this summer, as part of their wedding deal they give a discount for guests of the wedding, fair enough.

In an attempt to reserve a room I called multiple times and got a recording. After calling multiple times per day for 2 days I finally decided to leave a message with all of my contact info. 3 days later I never heard back so I called again, this time I finally got a person who was seemingly nice enough. However, I'm pretty sure he quoted me wrong on the times and amounts that my credit card would be charged.

What really upsets me out of all this is that the wedding we are attending is at 3pm, and check in is not until 4pm. I asked about early check in and was told that it could not be guaranteed. Since this room was part of Hunter's wedding package I would have assumed that they would have made a provision regarding this situation, especially during their off season. The guy on the phone gave me the feeling that I was going to have to leave the wedding reception to check in and get my things out of my car and to my room. Not something you should be doing to the guests of someone who is paying for an expensive wedding at your establishment.

I'm sure that our room will be great, it's just too bad that the service leading up to it was not.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Four20AllDay
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed here for one night in June for a triathlon at the lake. The condo was certainly comfortable, and a reasonable off-season price for a two-bedroom. The service of their clearly 'off-season' staff was a real disappointment - they were curt, uninterested in helping us and gave us misinformation about their payment methods.
Firstly, the front desk woman told us that if we didn't have their parking passes displayed, we were liable to be towed. We said fine, we have three cars. "Oh, sorry, we can only give you two passes". Uh, ok... let's be clear that the place was probably at 10% occupancy, our cars were the only ones in the entire car park of the condo row where we stayed. We parked anyway, no towing. A stupid and inflexible 'rule'. Then we requested a later checkout, and were told that they couldn't tell us one way or the other until the following morning. Who knows why - when we called the following morning to ask, we were told it was impossible to leave an hour later, because there was another reservation - did they not know that the night before??
We were clear that we would like to split our payment between our three parties on checkout - we were shown the invoice and told the 'balance' to be paid - we reiterated we would split the charge upon checkout, and gave them a card to hold. They also tacked on a 'resort fee' for which there was no explanation or justification. We went to check out the following morning and were told it had already been fully charged to this card, and they would charge us a 10% fee to refund it and pay as we had already confirmed would be possible. When we explained that it was clearly their screw up and we had been told something quite different by the previous night's attendant, the new one apologised but made no further effort to help us.

Overall, an adequate place, made into a solid 'will not return' by incompetent service.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TriTeam
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The good;
We have stayed at Kaatskill Mountain Club for the past three summers during the German Alps Festival and have always had a good time there. The family and, in particular the kids have enjoyed the outdoor heated pool and the two hot tubs. It is also lots of fun to sit around the camp fire at night and toast marshmallows. The bar is a friendly, clean place where kids are welcome to tag along. It is also fun to mingle with some of the band members that may show up in the bar. It is a good time and we always meet lots of friendly people there, guests as well as staff. The rooms have been consistantly clean although there are signs of wear. We enjoy the sauna and steam room as well. The fitness center looks adaquate although we did not use it. We also did not used the spa services. The hotel is never full during the German Alps weeked so that enhances the experience for me.

The intermediate:
I can't honestly say that $500.00 per weekend night for a two bedroom suite is the best value going but hey, it's the price you pay for the convenience of being able to walk to the festival grounds at the foot of the slope and drink lots of German beer and not have to worry about getting a DWI returning to your rooom. This is the first year they did not charge $10.00 per day for WiFi. It was free this year.

The bad:
On our last visit I found the King mattress in the main suite to be so hard that it put my back in spasm and was in pain for the entire stay. I called to ask if there was anything that could be done about this and, after checking with the manager was told there was not, that all the mattresses were the same. This did not happen on our previous two stays. I suspect the mattress was old and worn out accounting for the hardness of it. The last night, I slept on my wife's side which was not nearly as hard and also confirms my suspicion that the mattress was just worn out. The last time I had back pain from a hotel mattress, it was at a Super 8. I cannot imagine a quarter share owner tolerating such a mattress. For 500 a night, they had darn well plan on upgrading their mattresses more often. I complained yet again at checkout about the mattress hoping they would take the hint and offer a discount or some compensation for my incovenience. The lady apologized which was appreciated but not adaquate compensation.

A couple of pet peeves:
It would be nice if they would offer discount tickets to the festival considering the prices paid at the hotel. The resort is under the same ownership as the hotel. Another annoying thing is the special privilages given to family members of resort staff. We waited over an hour to get into the festaval grounds to reserve a good table to see the bands, only to find that the best tables had already been reserved by family members of staff. I would think being hotel guests would at least put us on a level playing field for festival access.

No, we will not be staying there this summer. We will see about next year.

As a footnote:
I got a good laugh at the review by the guest who acted surprised about being booted for being too rowdy at 2 AM! There are limits to even New Year's Eve revelry and I applaud the staff for advocating for the rights of the rest of their guest. It only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us.

Room Tip: The slopeside(odd numbered rooms)overlook the pool area which is a plus if you have kids playing in...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank James F
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Just got back from a family weekend and the stay at this resort was great! We had a 3 bedroom suite with a pullout sofa, full kitchen and dining room. The unit was clean and comfortable with 7 adults and an infant. We are already talking about going back to do the more challenging Zipline located on the property and we would definitely stay at this resort again.
I would have given this a 5 star except for a few minor things. I would rate this a 4 1/2 star but it could easily be a 5 with a couple little updates.The mattress in the master suite wasn't all that great and felt a bit lumpy, We still slept fine and the rest of the family said their mattresses felt ok so it could be that we have older backs. The tv in the living room was a small older tv and not a flatscreen so watching the Bruins game on this wasn't an option. We went to the bar/restaurant downstairs for that and had a great time meeting people that were guests at the resort and locals as well. Also, the sleeper sofa cushions could use a repadding since we sank a little when we sat on them.
The staff was friendly and very helpful.
FYI-The weekend we chose in April was one of the slowest so be sure to check calenders for events and if you go for the "high adventure zipline", make sure you check to make sure that it will be open due to the ski lifts being closed. We still were able to do the regular canopy zipline. Fun!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Franny81
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
Hotel Vienna
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter

Been to Kaatskill Mountain Club? Share your experiences!