All reviewsoutdoor firebanana breadlounge areaminor thingshunter mountainspring and summerrainfall showerate hereromantic getawayprivate terrace overlookingbucatiniamazing roomgreat destinationpool tablefront desk staffroom fireplacebeautiful property
Reviewed October 22, 2017

Amazing trendy hotel/lodge in the catskills. Really all you could want for a weekend getaway in the mountains. The lodge is adorably decorated, perfectly to theme and extremely cozy. Easy to get to/find. Friendly front staff and seem willing to accommodate or assist in any request. Rooms are large, comfortable, and I loved having an in room fireplace. I stayed in the most basic room I believe, my room was still very large. They keep the rooms smelling wonderful with their own products that are also featured in the bathroom. Excellent overhead shower. Lounge is inviting, with a fireplace, pool table, games, and endless books. It is absolutely a place where you can be somewhere other than your room. Great care is given to the outside lounge area as well with daily bonfires and s'mores. Pool is kept open and heated well into October.
Restaurant is fantastic for breakfast. Quick, with beautiful views. Dinner is slightly over priced for what it is, but you're also paying for convenience and that during certain times of the year, the mountains become pretty uninhabited for weekend guests. Bar is great and very lively when open. When the bar/restaurant is not available, a limited drink menu can be provided by the front desk staff. I will absolutely be back again, mainly for the vibe and atmosphere.
Improvements: refill water jug for guests each day, frequently check/update games as some parts have gone missing.

Room Tip: Ofcourse rooms with a view are better, but a bit pricey during off season.
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
GlennonTravis, Manager at Scribner's Catskill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2017

Hello Dina -

Thank you for your kind words, we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed October 21, 2017 via mobile

HOTEL:
Hotel is in a beautiful setting and in a very cool building. Rooms were recently updated and comfortable. Our was on the top floor with a sleeping loft and outdoor terrace.

RESTAURANT:
Food was very good. Menu had a very limited selection.

STAFF:
Staff were very young, friendly and inexperienced. We arrived back to our room on our last night to find our door open and not locked, along with a bunch of cleaning supplies that were hurriedly left behind. None of the staff seemed accountable.

SERVICE:
Service was disappointing, slow and inconsistent. First night we only were given two bath towels. 2nd & 3rd night we were given wash cloths, hand towels and bath matt. Bath towels had holes in them and bath matt was frayed and stringy on each end. We arrived back to our room on our last night to find our door open and not locked, along with a bunch of cleaning supplies that were hurriedly left behind.

CLEANLINESS:
Rooms were not clean when we got them and were not cleaned while we were staying in them. All that seemed the be done was make bed and refold towels.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hiram B

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your review and, of course, we are extremely sorry you are disappointed with your stay. We do clean all our rooms daily and we are looking into how we failed to clean your room properly. We appreciate you taking the time to write your feedback. If there is anything we can do to improve your experience please do contact me directly.

Reviewed October 20, 2017

Had the most wonderful stay here last weekend. I know it’s a new venture so really wanted to give a good idea of the place.

Parking: was great. Easy and loads of space. You can drop off your bags outside too which is handy.

Check-in: young girl who was fairly new to the job. She was very sweet and friendly. She didn’t know everything and got a bit confused at one point but there was also a more experienced person around who helped out and got things sorted for us.

Room: really fabulous, clean and comfortable but also very chic. Felt like a special place to stay. A few more towels would have been great but that’s just me – I just like a load of towels.

Common areas: these are really fabulous, there is this huge open library area with books and a pool table and then downstairs are these low light little cubbies where you can snuggle up if you’re on a romantic weekend.

Pool: Warm and clean and with great views and places to lounge.

Food: Not the biggest portions, which you sort of want after a long days hiking but man was it nice to get a really good meal. Cocktails were good too. I really like the atmosphere in the bar at night, lot of interesting people staying. I’m from BK and I’m pretty sure almost everyone was up from the city. I loved that, I’m sure some would groan and say ‘hipsters’. I guess that makes me a hipster, which is laughable actually.

Views: you can actually see the Hunter ski runs from the hotel and the views really are spectacular, you might want to ensure you’re booked in the front of the lodge if you want those views.

Price: Room rate wasn’t cheap but it was good value for money given how great the place is. It’s not the Hamptons either so it’s not off the chart (yet).

Extras: nice little touches in the rooms with nice books and s’mores. Also a fire was lit in the evening which was fun. Really love the hiking guide who was there in the morning, really nice chap and really helpful.

All in all, a great trip. I will be going back, especially during ski season. If you’re considering it, I would book early, I think this place will get very busy (it was fully booked when we stayed there last week – 10/14).

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled with friends

Hi Rowena,

Thank you for sharing your detailed review. We work hard to make our guests feel at home and well cared for so it is very rewarding to hear that you enjoyed yourself. We hope to see you again on the mountain top soon.

Happy travels,

Reviewed October 16, 2017

My husband and I came here to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, lured in by the gorgeous photos and Catskills setting.

The common areas of the hotel did not disappoint -- the lounge, the library, outdoor fire pit, and deck are all lovely. However, the service and hospitality did not even come close to matching the level of luxury the lodge is aspiring for (and charging for). None of the staff was friendly or welcoming, instead they all emitted a "too hip to be bothered" vibe. For the price, this was unacceptable to us.

The restaurant service was also terrible, even though the food was delicious! Such a disappointment.

Also, it should be noted that basic room amenities are lacking, such as an alarm clock, drawers to put your clothes in, bathroom toiletries like cotton balls & q-tips, a mini-bar or fridge, an iron & ironing board, and info about the hotel and the surrounding area.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank megancF339VS
GlennonTravis, Manager at Scribner's Catskill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2017

Dear MegancF339VS -

Thank you for sharing your review. We are very sorry to hear about your disappointing visit. We care deeply about all our guests and we regret that we didn't have an opportunity to make it right while you were staying with us. We really appreciate your feedback and hope you'll contact us if there is anything we can do to improve your experience.

Reviewed October 15, 2017

The view, the location is great - seeing and being in the mountains make this hotel so special. The overall design is really nice, without being overpowering - it catched the "mountain" vibe and feels still modern. Loved the pool and the fire in the evening.
Our room was spaceious, with a beautiful minimal interior and the beds super comfy - I missed some hotel-slides and/or a bathing robe plus maybe a tea/coffee maschine so one could have it even more cozy.
Service is very friendly - although there is a bit of room for improvement… Tap water was not refilled, we (two people) were given only one small lotion.
The restaurant was ok, not very special but kinda pricey - There are better options around. I would return and bring my own slides :)

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends

Hello -

Thank you for sharing your review online, your kind words are appreciated.

We will look into larger bottles of lotion and to placing slippers in our rooms; with winter approaching our wood floors can feel cold on bare feet. We do provide filtered mountain spring water in the guest rooms and we're sorry we missed refilling the water bottles in your room.

We truly appreciate you taking time to share your feedback which helps us improve our lodge.