“Good location, very average hotel”
Review of St. Charles Hotel

St. Charles Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hudson
Truro, Massachusetts
“Good location, very average hotel”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

First off I'll say the room was great, very good bed, clean, well appointed. The overall appearance of the place is (I'm sorry) a flop house, The building has a great old front on the village square, great location for food, antiques, hiking ect., but it looks neglected. Most staff were helpful, Check in at around 9pm seemed to be an inconvenience to the deck clerk. Good location, room, parking, Bad overall look, feeling secure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Matheu M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel was the dirtiest that I have seen. The room wreaked of marijuana and the facility did not look like it had been cleaned. We were there on business, only one night and did not have time to find a different hotel, so we dropped our bags and went about our business. The next morning there was not a drop of hot water. The toiled would not work. And the management did not seem to care AT ALL! Trust the people who posted about the filthy conditions in the previous posts. This place was miserable. Really miserable......

Room Tip: Just find a different hotel. This place is not a bargain.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Frequent_flier7755

Travelers are raving about these Hudson hotels

Asbury Park, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here for two nights, and found the room to be more than adequate to fit my needs. There was plenty of parking in the hotel lot, the room was clean and comfortable, and I could walk to just about anywhere in Hudson that I wanted to go. Management was friendly and courteous. The free continental breakfast was not that interesting, but I saved some cash by eating there one of the two mornings. I recommend the St Charles for anyone looking for inexpensive lodging in Hudson.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sheila B
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Don't judge this book by the front cover or facade. The building is pretty but needs some TLC but the rooms are very comfortable, clean and updated. We really liked the location which is about a nice 20 minute stroll from the Hudson Amtrak station walking along Warren St which is the main shopping and eating street. We really liked the staff and the rates were great. Can walk everywhere from here. Glad we found it and almost forgot..free and strong WiFi!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank cthom5261
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I'm really baffled by some of the negative reviews on here. We went to the St. Charles to do some recon for our wedding in summer 2013, expecting the worst. Instead we found a warm, welcoming lobby with a Christmas tree, soft lighting, clean office area for business travelers... and a very helpful and sweet manager, Ricky. She had an injured foot but still took us on a tour of every type of room at the hotel. The hallways are old-school carpeting but they are clean, and the building has preserved charm. They have obviously done many renovations and the rooms are giant by NYC standards, with big beds, nice hardwood desks, flat-screen TVs, and in some cases living areas and mini fridges. One side has park views and you can't beat the quiet location just off Warren. There is also a little cafe area with complimentary breakfast (dry cereals, fruit juices, etc.) It seems a great place for those traveling with kids as you can order rollout beds and cribs for your room, plus there is the adorable Grazin' Diner down the block and a small park just across the street. Bonus: Big, free parking lot so you don't have the hassles of metered parking on Warren.

We immediately booked the entire hotel for our wedding guests, and would not have done so if Ricky was not so stellar at making everyone feel welcome. She has been kind to our family and friends while booking long-distance, too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Coatesville, PA
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here one night last week while attending a nearby family event. The hotel lobby is clean and well lit. Not sure when renovations were completed or if they are ongoing but the carpet, etc., in the lobby and the halls looked new. Our room was basic but clean and quiet. The bed was quite comfortable. This is not a luxury hotel and it doesn't claim to be one, but the rates aren't luxury rates either -- and we definitely will stay here again. Both the gentleman who checked us in and the woman who checked us out were pleasant and helpful. A continental breakfast was included in our rate, but we didn't try it because we had made other breakfast plans.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PATravelGal
Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I admit it. I committed a sort of modern day no-no. I booked a room at the St. Charles and *then* read the reviews! Frankly, the reviews had me on edge as I had no other option for an overnight stay. Thankfully, this story has a happy enough ending.

Pulling up to the St. Charles I began wondering what I had gotten myself into. Walking into the lobby doesn't do much to ease your jitters either. However, the staff was very friendly. My husband and I kept our fingers crossed riding the elevator up to the third floor (I requested a quiet room after reading the reviews).

The hallway carpet seemed to be new. Our room was new, modern, and clean and totally adequate for an overnight stay. It was also quiet. Small shower/toilet room but I wasn't expecting a bathroom with a sitting area. The one thing I disliked was the duvet - it was not warm at all which forced us to have to use the heat all night.

The St. Charles offers a breakfast but we opted to go to a cute cafe in town.

The hotel clearly needs to be renovated and it seems like it's being done piecemeal. It could be a nice, smaller hotel. Hopefully the owners will take heed of the valid customer feedback and continue the necessary upgrades.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KABorg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hudson
The Barlow
The Inn at Hudson
The Inn at Hudson
#8 of 17 in Hudson
The Croff House Bed and Breakfast

Been to St. Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!