“Meh” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of American Glory BBQ

American Glory BBQ
Ranked #12 of 84 Restaurants in Hudson
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Southwestern, Cajun & Creole, Grill, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: American Glory Restaurant is located in historic Hudson, NY, only two hours north of Manhattan along the scenic Hudson River. Situated in the heart of Hudson’s restaurant district on Warren Street, only a 15 minute ride from the Taconic State Parkway or NYS Thruway and within walking distance of the Amtrak station. American Glory specializes in legendary wood smoked BBQ and classic American comfort foods. Our menu includes many vegetarian and gluten free options. Housed in a masterfully renovated red brick firehouse, American Glory Restaurant boasts a rich history of dedicated firefighters. Formerly the H. Rogers Hose Company it was home to the second oldest volunteer fire department in the United States;organized in 1794. The firehouse has been meticulously restored to highlight the original red brick walls, wood floors and historic grand wooden staircase.American Glory is warm and inviting, filled with the aroma of wood smoked barbecue, hometown comfort foods, enjoyable music, good times and roaring laughter.A beautiful dark wood and mirror bar with ice chilled beer taps sits on the casual pub style first floor and expansive doors open to our sidewalk dining area. The second floor houses a spacious family dining room with seating for 100 people and doubles as an art gallery, featuring a different Columbia County artist each month. The additional private dining room with working fireplace and large screen TV seats 24 people, an ideal setting for business meetings, billiards, intimate gatherings and family Sunday dinners.
Hartford, Connecticut
“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

We sat at an outside table, which was pleasant. We both ordered the pulled pork sandwich, with the cole slaw topping on the side. Service was fine. While a tad more vinegary than I would have liked, the pulled pork was OK. The fries that came with it were good. The cole slaw was just OK. We each had a beer. I had a Guinness, which was not very cold. Maybe that's how they serve it in Ireland, but the menu says their beers are served at 29 degrees. Mine was no where near that. My wife's Juengling was colder. Judging by looking at their menus, all the restaurants in town are just a tad over-priced, IMO. I suppose they are thinking that people come up from NYC, where the cost of everything is insane. For instance, at this restaurant, the Guinness was $6.50, and Juengling was $5, whereas I've never paid more than $3.50 anywhere else for Juengling. OK, we're cheapskates. But the thing that gave us a feeling that they were desperately trying to boost their bottom line was the baked beans. I have never eaten at a BBQ place that doesn't include them with the meal. My wife wanted some, so we paid extra. They came in a little dish, and I mean little - a tiny amount for $2.50 extra. Really, American Glory? The menu said they were homemade, but I think they were awfully similar to beans I have bought at my local supermarket. The menu also mentioned bacon in the beans, but none was found.

Visited June 2014

Brooklyn, New York
“Almost, But Not Quite”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

American Glory BBQ. Hmmm…

The atmosphere – very nicely done. American Glory BBQ is definitely one place in Hudson where the proprietor has put some extra-effort into designing the restaurant. The restaurant is more of a pub / restaurant with a lot of hard wood furnishings, so that lends to the overall feel of the place and for sure gives it a BBQ theme.

The food was… a disappointment. There was just something missing. It was lackluster … it came up short. For all the effort put into the atmosphere, not to mention the high prices, I expected the food to deliver, and it didn’t.

The corn bread was alright. But that’s not saying much when the meat is lacking. There were a number of sauces on the table that you could drench your meal in, but that to me isn’t BBQ. BBQ is the sauce that they make on premises that your meat is slowly simmered in (or at least the sauce is slowly simmered), that gives it that tang. Not something you slather your meal in to cover up the distinct lack of taste. As for the meat itself, there was no tang here. No kick. No flavor.

Like much else in Hudson, I felt American Glory BBQ was overpriced for what it was putting out into the world. I didn’t get that overtly self-entitled feeling that I got at most other Hudson establishments, with the exception of the prices, but I most-likely won’t go back. If they could get the food right, then they might have something.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bronx, New York
“NOT WORTH IT”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Save your money, and eat at TGIF. Prices are cheaper, there is more to eat and service is faster.
The waiter did try his best but it was the owner that was being offensive. He never told us he was the owner, I thought he was the kitchen help. Maybe he thought he was being funny, well he can save it for comedy night. He turned a good evening into a terrible one.We were visiting from NYC, and out for diner with family and friends. We made the wrong choice.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank princessvahine
Hudson, New York
“Nice for all”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Love the atmosphere. Food is average and prices are good. Drinks are good with lots of options. Have always had good service.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
New York City
“Beware of the owner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Had reservations for 8. The place was empty. place was starting to fill up within the hour. 2 ordered fried calamari and French onion soup & I ordered salad. The cooked apps came & I was still waiting for my salad. The dinners arrive with my salad appetizer! I tell the waiter I certainly don't want both at the same time. He says no problem I will bring it back when you are done with your salad. I was upset since cooked apps came out & a salad did not. A gentleman comes over to me who I later find out is the owner. He says are you in a bad mood. I said to him excuse me! He said you seemed in a bad mood when the food came out. I told him I was not in a bad mood until an uncooked salad app came out with my dinner. He said it's a holiday weekend and we are busy. I told him I understand that but when we were seated the place was empty & cooked apps came out yet my uncooked salad did not. He said so you don't want your meal now? He gave me a dirty look walked away and said Geez. Everyone was finishing their meal when I finally got mine. The waiter came over and said can I get you anything else. I told him the owner was rude and he should have offered me at least a comped drink. The waiter said let me go and see if the owner will do that. The waiter apologized profusely. We eat out often. I have never encountered such a rude manager much less an owner. I was shocked. I would never recommend this restaurant simply for that reason. If an owner has no respect for customers who keep them in business they do not deserve to stay in business!!

• Visited May 2014