“Cozy Times in Front of the Fireplace!”

Thyme in the Country
Ranked #11 of 17 Hudson B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My family and I just enjoyed another wonderful stay at Thyme in the Country (this was our second visit). Mary and her family were so gracious and accommodating -- we really felt like we are in our own home. Highlights of the trip included drinking hot cocoa with homemade marshmallows in front of the crackling fireplace; coming home one evening to a magical candlelit snowy pathway; homemade apple pie; delicious breakfasts; and lots of wonderful tips on things to do and see in the area. This is a special place and very family friendly -- we brought our 3 yr old son with us and he had his own little feather bed right beside our bed, which all of us very happy. Thank you to the Koch family for making this past weekend a very memorable one for us!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed November 3, 2010

We stayed at Thyme in the Country during a weekend trip out of the city. It's about a 10 or 15 minute drive from the center of Hudson, and it's got a beautiful farm setting (the gardens, animals, pond, and walking path have lots of charm and character!) and a very comfortable large house with a few different common spaces. We stayed in the Lavender Room - it was really very clean, nice details but not too cutsey, and we had our own bathroom. Mary, the owner, is a terrific host. She'd sit down with us for conversation a few times, she bakes delicious afternoon treats, and breakfasts were really hearty and fresh. They have a very sweet little dog named Mr. Shivers who is happy to spend time with you on the couch. We'd definitelty stay there again and would recommend it to anyone who is traveling near Hudson.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I made a weekend trip to the Hudson River Valley and decided to stay at Thyme In The Country. The rate was very affordable and it was close to the places I wanted to go. After a long day of driving, Mary made me feel right at home with a cup of tea and just baked chocolate cake. Afterwards I read one of her touring books about the Hudson River Valley and watched a movie with Mary and Mr. Shivers. I enjoyed a good night's sleep and a hot shower and nice breakfast in the morning. Mary and her family try to use all organic ingredients at the inn. I think most of the things I ate came from their cow and garden...cream in my coffee, fresh eggs, swiss chard in the breakfast casserole, fresh peach crisp, etc. P.S. They also have a salt water pool in the back and two ponds.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We have a 16 month old who is very active. this always makes us nervous to go to various houses, hotels, etc., that might have things that are breakable. Not with Thyme in the Country: it is kid-friendly!. From the beginning, Mary was very accomodating to our daughter, even offering to set up a Pack 'n Play in our room so that we wouldn't have to bring one ourselves. In addition, Mary has toys scattered around the house, so it feels very welcoming to little ones.

The house and grounds are absolutely gorgeous! there is plenty to do from swimming in their eco-friendly pool, to watching the cows being milked. And the food each morning is wonderful! homemade yogurt, fresh milk, eggs, etc. Mary is a superb and thoughtful hostess and gives plenty of advice on where to eat in the Hudson area, what to do, etc.

it doesn't get much better than Thyme in the Country!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2010

This was a last minute reservation on Memorial Day. All other place were either booked, overpriced or gave me the impression of the Bates Motel. I called on the off chance to see if they had a room. My horse was going to be in his first show and I really wanted to spend the weekend and not have to drive back and forth. Mary answered the phone and had a solution instantly. She had a spare room with 2 twin beds that the person in the suite was not going to use. This meant that we could use the downstairs bathroom and the outside shower! What an adventure. My girlfriend and I had some many giggles running up the garden, past the chicken coop and then watching the cows grazing in the garden as we each took our showers. We felt like teenagers. The breakfast was amazing too. When we returned from the show everyone was sitting around the table and the family made us and the other guests fell right at home. I am taking my mother and Step Father with me an my husband to stay during leaf peeping in October....this time we will be using the indoor shower though! Thank you for accomodating us and for a fun stay!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2010

The Koch family welcomed us to their farm and their green way of life. They were superb in telling us about the area including local organic eateries and a local biodynamic farm. They were extremely attentive to our needs and even had a bike ready for us to use. Mary cooked right on the premises based upon what we liked and our food allergies. They were really relaxed and kind hearted. We enjoyed the fireplace. Olana is near-by and is a wonderful attraction if you like art. If you need a weekend in the country, this is the place to go!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2009

Thyme in the country is a lovely home away from the congestion and noise of the city. Surrounded by forrest and field, it's hard to believe a place with cows in the back yard is only two hours up the scenic Hudson from NYC by rail. Large bedrooms, several fire places, and I think there were four living rooms in the house! Tended, within the house, mostly by the matron of the home, Mary, who is friendly, charming, beautiful, and an amazing cook (though she is far to humble to think so herself). Most interesting of all, the entire place is a green establishment, with solar power and energy efficient fixtures. If you want to relax and feel at home away from home, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple