“Unique gem in upstate Howes Cave NY”
Review of Caverns Palace - CLOSED

Caverns Palace
Sloansville, New York
“Unique gem in upstate Howes Cave NY”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Caverns Palace came to mind instantly for our grandson's birthday celebration for 20 people. We've dined here previously and enjoyed our experience. The decorating theme recreates the stalactites that can be seen at the famous nearby attraction of Howe Caverns. Needless to say it was a big hit with the kids and adults alike. The restaurant is spotless and spacious. The chef and wait staff were very helpful with getting every detail down to the very last with the varied menu and pricing. No surprises when the bill arrived. Everyone was very professional and accommodating.
Locally grown Angus Beef is all they serve and it was the best prime rib we ever had, hands down. The sides were delicious and abundant with our own personal salad bar in the party room.
This restaurant has recently undergone management changes so perhaps some of these other earlier reviews might have been a reflection of a different mindset because our family had nothing but, wonderful praise for a great lasting epicurean memory.

• Visited October 2013

Esperance, New York, United States
“Terrible...terrible...terrible”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I cannot understand why this place is always so busy, this was hands down the worst meal I have had at a resturant in probably my whole life. My fiance and I both ordered burgers, and he ordered french onion soup as well. The soup was terrible, bland and looked more like chicken gravy. I've never seen french onion soup that looked like that. His burger was supposed to be medium, it came out well done and dry. My burger was supposed to be medium well, and it came out well done and so dry that I could hardly choke it down. It was beyond awful. Meanwhile, the service was slow beyond compare, and it certainly wasn't because they were busy. We went toward the end of the evening so there was really no excuse for the 40 minutes it took to get our burgers. Also, our waitress was clueless and terrible. I will never go back again.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Brittany S
Liverpool, New York, United States
“Great food and ambiance”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The ceiling is created to look like stalactites and the lights look like rocks! It was so cool the see this décor. The food was top notch too. I really enjoyed my salad, steak and potatoes. They were cooked to perfection and the portions were great for the prices. This restaurant is located 2 minutes away from Howes Caverns. Lots of parking.

Visited September 2013
Schoharie County
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It was decent for awhile but now pretty much stinks.”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Our group has gone to this restaurant once per month for about a year. Over the last few the salad bar and food was good. Now they've changed the menu again for the third time and the salad bar has been changed to Greek items ... which to my taste is mostly bitter.

Last night our friend's chicken was "raw" and sent back. The baked potatoes seemed to be boiled and sliced and the veggies ... cold mush. The NY strip steaks turned out to be two thin slices of mostly grizzle and my "medium" was actually red n raw. I rarely leave food on my plate but most was left behind last night.

Two stars for a good waitress.. good coffee.. and we weren't charged for the raw chicken that wasn't edible.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Randy C
MA
“A long wait for good food.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Stopped at Cavern Palace after visiting Howes Cavern because it seemed to be only place to eat close by. Waitress was good but it took 2 hours from start to finish - only 10 tables being used, we didn't order desert - out of time. Meals were really good & big enough to share, wish we'd known before ordering. Salad bar only came with a few meals & not with kids meals (Didn't ask if we could substitute.) Kids thought decor was cool - ceiling covered in fake stalactites & cave photos on walls. Very clean restrooms but women's room had 3 empty paper towel holders. Toilet paper was on large rolls on toilet tank or small rolls on top of holders where kids couldn't reach. Some stalls had none.

• Visited August 2013