“Keep trying”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Caverns Palace - CLOSED

Caverns Palace
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
esperance
“Keep trying”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We are still on the fence about this place. It has no true identity. Are you a fine dining with $30 entrees, a pizza place, pub friendly fare, old fashioned out of date salad bar place, oh, and then there's the late night bands. Maybe you can spend $200 on a dinner with wine, steaks, appetizers and dessert and then stay for the country beer drinking party and band. I like to do both but not in the same place. Pick one, or maybe two! The menu is all over the place. What kind of restaurant is this? You can't have every kind of cuisine on a menu and do it well. With that said the food is not bad. It is however inconsistant. One time an app was greasy the next it was freshly made and with quality ingredients. The first time we had a burger, we were amazed that someone could actually cook it properly and as it was ordered. The next time they were very well done when ordered medium. Then there is the service. No one seems to know their responsibilities. We had to physically hand plates to a passerby employee. Even when more food was delivered no plates were cleared. We had to ask for everything we needed as we were not asked by waitstaff. No one checked on us. You need to flag someone down.
Understand we live in the area and really want this place to succeed. I think they are trying to change. There is new management. Bottom line: have a focus, invest in quality ingredients, and train staff.
Good luck. :)

• Visited April 2013

Ottawa, Ontario
“A Find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Needing a place for supper in Schoharie, NY on the first day of our vacation heading down to North Carolina we asked our desk clerk for a recommendation. She enthusiastically endorsed the Cavern Palace so that’s where we went.

Our first impression was a little ambiguous: lots of cars in the parking lot and a nice, newly-finished and attractive exterior but, upon entering, we were a little worried by the cheesy fake stalactites on the ceiling. Things didn’t get any better with the multi-page, all-encompassing, plasticized menu: if a menu has ‘everything’ it usually means ‘nothing’ is done that well and the plastic coating made me think they were more interested in easy cleaning than good food.

Well, we were wrong.

The large number of options did make choosing supper a little more difficult and having spent the whole day in the car driving down from Canada meant our stomachs were a little ‘off’ too. Finally settled on burger: lamb for me, Cowboy for my wife. I was tempted by the goat burger.

As we were waiting for our food we started to notice what a good time all the other diners were having: a group of seven or eight ladies at the next table having some kind of high-school reunion; several tables of couples; another number of families. As their meals progressed they were all visited by the owner/manager who seemed genuinely interested in making sure they were enjoying themselves. Almost everybody left with some left-overs.

Our food did take a while to come and the so-so New York red wine I was drinking didn’t help much but when the burgers did arrive they looked very good. My wife’s Cowboy burger with cheese and bacon was large and good. I had ordered my lamb burger medium and it came what I would have called medium rare but that’s the kind of difference that can be a regional thing. In any case, medium rare was perfect for the lamb which was moist and juicy and tender and delicious. When the boss came over to say hi I asked for some tzatziki to go with it and that was a good choice that worded perfectly with the lamb. Both burgers came with good fries and an excellent coleslaw.

We were too full to try any of the desserts but the coffee was excellent.

We would certainly visit the Cavern Palace again next time we are near Schoharie.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Daniel F
Cobleskill
“Gave it a chance -”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

The first time we went we had hamburgers which were fine. The second a steak - very tough and the third lamb chops which I could hardly cut with a steak knife. The last time we went the waitress was more interested in talking to her male co-workers instead of paying attention to her customers. Her boss had to intervene in order for her to give us our bill.

Visited February 2013
East Syracuse, New York
“Two enjoyable meals.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

My first meal was an evening one after a lantern tour at Howe Caverns. Had the Grilled Salmon, BLT , with french fries, followed with Velvet Red Cake. THe second meal was lunch, after a tour of Secret Caverns. This was a Cowboy Steak Sandwish, with potato chips. Both meals tasty & filling. Had enough for two home meals. The fries & chips were nothing I had tasted before, with the friesbeing the betterr of the two. The restaurant must have a different method of preparing both.

The Palace is located on Route 7, five miles east of Cobleskill, just 100 yards east of Caverns Road/Route 9, the entrance to Howe & Secret Caverns. The restaurant is 2/3 's dining, 1/3 bar. Dining stops at 10:00 P.M., my supper at after 9:30. Lunch starts at 11:00. the two waitresses I met were very frinedly, each stopping back more than once to see if I needed any more needs. If I am in the area in the future, I would have no hesitate to stop again.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

• Visited April 2013