“Great time for all!”
Review of Howe Caverns

Howe Caverns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At the great cave of the Northeast, an elevator takes you 156’below ground. The doors open into a prehistoric underground cavern 6,000,000 years in the making! Trained tour guides help negotiate the cave and teach about its magnificent natural features. Back on the surface, mine for gemstones at Howe Caverns Mining Co. Beginning summer 2011, enjoy the first phase of Howe High Adventures—featuring ropes courses, climbing walls, zip lines and more!
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My family and I made the 45 minute drive to Howe Caverns (and Secret Caverns) this past week. Howe Caverns was a hit! The cave tour was wonderful! It lasted about 1 1/2hrs, and began with a very cool and realistic looking animatronic "Lester Howe", that gave us a brief history of the cave. Our tour guide was a young lady who did a great job, was informative, professional and fun. She obviously loved her job and loved the cave. She interacted with everyone of all ages and made the tour fun and relaxing. Besides the tour, we purchased day passes to the newer attractions at the Caverns, called Howe High Adventure. The short lines moved quickly and we were able to enjoy an entire afternoon on the zip-line, ropes course and OGO ball. There were other things too, but my children and I stuck with those three. It was a huge hit for all of us. The zip line is nothing "extreme", but still very enjoyable. I actually saw ages from 8-80 enjoying it. The ropes course kept my daughter busy for quite a while, and the OGO ball kept us all wanting more. Myself and both of my children, 12 and 15, were all able to get in this giant water filled ball all together and roll down the front hill. It may appear slow moving while watching it roll, but when inside, it was a long, wet, fun ride, filled with laughter. The line for the OGO does move slow, so plan accordingly if you want to enjoy it more than one time. Cafe: For lunch we had a veggie wrap, a chicken panini with soup, and a hamburger with fries. All were outstanding! The burger was huge and perfectly cooked! The soup was homemade vegetable. I found out it was homemade after I asked about it because it was delicious, and was told that the Chefs make most of the foods offered in house. The wrap was filled with fresh veggies. All of the meals purchased were fresh and the serving size was quite large. The dining area was very nice and they actually had a person assigned to the area keeping the tables clean and the floor swept. It really seems as though the management/owners are doing a great job with the new growth. I came here as a kid and it was just a cave! It's clear that a lot of thought and money have been put into things. The grounds were beautiful, the view amazing and the employees were a cut above what you would normally find at any amusement park. Be it on the zip-line, the ropes course, the OGO ball or in the cafe, the employees actually talked with us, were friendly and pleasant. It is really NOT what I expected. I also see a few complaints about the $2.00 parking fee. Ummmm, two bucks!? And people are complaining? There was a young lady who greeted us in the lot with a smile, gave us a brochure, another who directed me to a parking spot, and yet another who took my dog to the kennel. It was worth more than $2.00! I've been to many places and the going rate is 5-10 times this with nothing offered in return. All in all we had a great day and created fun family memories.

1  Thank Willy C
April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful, detailed review of your trip to Howe Caverns. I am glad that your family enjoyed all we have to offer and you gave future visitors some very good information about everything we have to offer on our property! I appreciate how much you noticed the hard work our staff puts in to make our guests trip here memorable. We hope you are able to come visit us again next year!

All reviews
in 39 reviews
"upstate new york"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a must visit place for all ages. My husband and I visited in May and the guided tour was awesome. Bring a light jacket because it is chilly in the cave. The grounds are beautiful and the restaurant serves great food and a fair price.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Howe Caverns. It sounds like you got the best of everything from the Cave Tour, to taking in the beautiful scenery, and enjoying a nice lunch in our Cafe. We hope you come back and visit us again!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was a very cool attraction. I didn't know what to expect and didn't think I would like being in a cave. It was very interesting however, it's very chilly in the caves. The scenery in the area is beautiful.

I am glad you surprised yourself and were able to enjoy our beautiful cave. The outside scenery of the Mohawk Valley on top of our hill is absolutely breathtaking. It is important to remember to bring your jacket or sweatshirt for the cool cave tour at 52 degrees :) We hope you will visit us again sometime!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

It has been ten years since we last visited Howe's Cavern and a lot has changed. They added more activities for the children, there is a mining area, which is an improvement on when we were last here.
The tour was about two hours. Our tour guide, Austin was funny, friendly and informative. Unfortunately, it was difficult to hear him unless we were right by him. The cavern is beautiful. It is around 52 degrees under ground so dress appropriately and no flip flops allowed. The boat ride was short. You go a short was in, then everyone turns and moves up a row in front of them. All hand guided by the tour guide.
I found it somewhat expensive admission wise, but it kinda is a once in a life time experience, and the money goes to maintaining the Cavern and grounds, so paying $2.00 for parking, isn't much to complain about. I think the added attractions is to keep it interesting for visitors, to draw a crowd, and why not ?
My children enjoyed it. As did I. But it was a far drive for us to go there. I think twice is enough.

Thank you for visiting us. I am glad you enjoyed your tour. As you noticed, we want to build our property to be able to offer our guests a variety of activities to do while they are here.