“OK but seen better”
Review of Howe Caverns

Howe Caverns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At the great cave of the Northeast, an elevator takes you 156’below ground. The doors open into a prehistoric underground cavern 6,000,000 years in the making! Trained tour guides help negotiate the cave and teach about its magnificent natural features. Back on the surface, mine for gemstones at Howe Caverns Mining Co. Beginning summer 2011, enjoy the first phase of Howe High Adventures—featuring ropes courses, climbing walls, zip lines and more!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The caverns were good and it was a fun afternoon out, but I guess if you've seen caves in the UK, or in Kefalonia, Greece, there is little new. I was disappointed that it was rather over-commercialized - although I appreciate the safely aspects it didn't feel so much like a real cave with the laid path, and I almost felt a policeman should be there conducting the one-way system. It was pretty pricey, too. But if you haven't seen good, long caves before I would recommend.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed our beautiful cave. Although we may be different from caves in Europe, each cave is unique in its own way. Our underground boat ride and Winding Way are just 2 aspects of our cave that set us aside from others. Safety of our employees and guests is a very important concern to us and the brick walkways make it easier for people of all ages to be able to enjoy our tour. Our prices are competitive with other show caves across the United States and try to keep the tour affordable for our guests while still being able to properly maintain our cave. Thank you for you visit.

All reviews
in 39 reviews
"upstate new york"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have been to Howe Caverns several times as a youth, adult and finally senior. The good - it's always 52 degrees F even on brutally hot summer days; bring a jacket. Great for kids! If you have never been in a large cave, it is quite the experience. Smooth walkways, but quite a few stairs so it may prove difficult walking for some. The boat ride is very good, unusual for a cave trip. Stalactites, stalagmites and flowstone formed from dissolved limestone being deposited are found here. 90% of the guides and workers here are high school age, so it is good way for the local kids to earn some money. It is not an inexpensive attraction. In 2013, with tax, it is $25 for an adult, $22 for a senior. The not so good - they even charge an additional $2 for parking! That was actually the irksome part of the visit for me. I'd rather have them raise the ticket price than feel like someone is picking me up by the ankles and shaking the coins out of my pocket. The cave is not handicap accessible. There are several additional things to do on the grounds of this attraction. Bring a bathing suit and you can ride down the hill in a giant plastic ball with water in it being sloshed around like you are in a washing machine. Looked like great fun! We will likely bring grandkids to try it. There is also a playground and zip line. These attractions, of course, cost extra. There is a restaurant and motel in the complex. No experience with them, but everything is VERY neat and tidy at Howe Caverns so I would expect them to be passable. I'm wondering when they're going to build a water park. Lastly, Howe Caverns is in close proximity to the Iroquois Museum. I have not been there yet, but my wife has and she found it interesting.

1  Thank STX_M3

Thank you for taking the time to write about your trip to Howe Caverns, your feedback is very important to us. I am very glad that your family enjoyed the tour of the caverns I am not sure if you read any previous responses I have done in regards to parking. But our very small parking fee is going towards improving our parking lot as the condition is on the decline. We do not feel the need, as suggested in your post, to hide costs in our ticket prices, but rather would prefer to be up front with our guests. I myself just traveled to Boston for a weekend where I had to pay $40 to park at Gillette Stadium and $35 at the Boston Aquarium, I would take our $2 fee over those I paid in Boston any day. We hope you will come back and visit us again in the future and maybe even take a ride on the OGO ball!

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Our family enjoyed a day trip to Howe Cavern. The boat ride is a memorable portion of the tour. It is busy but lines move quickly. It is a cave so expect it to be 50 degrees and you will be underground long enough that you should bring a jacket. A lot of fun. Very good tour.

I read several reviews on pricing. I agree that charging for parking is lame and I saw the managements comment on this. They should just add it to the cost of the activities. Yes, a family of 5 could easily spend $500 here. We didn't. They accept AAA for adult rate. I recommend.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post about your trip to Howe Caverns. We appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your tour of the caverns. It is unfortunate that you feel that our parking fee is “lame” but it is not unreasonable. We do not feel the need, as you suggested, to hide costs in the prices of our attractions. I just went away for the weekend and paid $40 to park at Gillette Stadium for a concert and $35 to park at the Boston Aquarium. While I may not feel these prices are “fair”, (unlike our menial $2 parking fee), I know paying them is a must if I want to visit these places. We want to be up front with our guests, so we want them to know that there is a parking fee and the monies collected for parking is going toward the repair our parking area.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I decided to head to Howe Caverns after a stay at Lake George. I had been here when I was young and remember I really enjoyed it. As a grown up I have mixed reviews. If you have young ones (I have two boys 6 and10) they will love it. Like others have stated it is chilly so at least wear a jacket or sweater. There were a lot of people wearing shorts and they didnt complain. My biggest complaint is having to yell at the kids constantly not to touch, I know why you shouldnt touch and it makes sense to me but it is exhausting especially when your husband is touching too! The price is rather high for what you get... maybe throw in a mag of gems for the kids, that would be a nice jester and a little more worth it. The boys loved mining for gems and fossils and breaking open the geodes. All in all a fun day trip.

Thank you for taking the the time to write about your trip to Howe Caverns. I am glad your family enjoyed the tour of the caverns. Thank you for understanding the importance of preserving our cave, as the oils from our hands to damage the formations when touched. Our admission prices are competitive with other commercial caves across the country. We try to give our guests the best value for the price and still be able to do everything necessary to maintain our beautiful cave. We hope you visit us again in the future.