“A Little Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Howe Caverns

Howe Caverns
More attraction details
Owner description: At the great cave of the Northeast, an elevator takes you 156’below ground. The doors open into a prehistoric underground cavern 6,000,000 years in the making! Trained tour guides help negotiate the cave and teach about its magnificent natural features. Back on the surface, mine for gemstones at Howe Caverns Mining Co. Beginning summer 2011, enjoy the first phase of Howe High Adventures—featuring ropes courses, climbing walls, zip lines and more!
Agawam, Massachusetts
“A Little Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I were very excited about bringing one of our granddaughter's and my niece to Howe Caverns, but we were disappointed in the actual caverns. It's not that it was bad, because it wasn't. It just wasn't as exciting as we expected. The caverns in Shannondoah Valley were a lot more exciting.

The mining for gems and cracking of Geodes was pretty cool, but it only took up a small window of time.

The restaurant was very nice and the food was good. Especially the sweet potato fries. All of the staff were wonderful and seemed very knowledgeable about the caverns.

There were some outdoor activities that we unable to experience due to rain. That may have made a difference.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I am glad that you and your family were able to visit us and enjoyed the Gem Mining and the Cafe. We hope you will be able to come back in the future and visit us again on a nice sunny day so you can try the activities at our outdoor Adventure Park.

Porter, Indiana
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“nice way to enjoy a day out.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I was here once before as a kid but couldn't remember it, I was visiting in upstate ny and wanted to take in this site again. The boat ride was clam and relaxing. The tour guide did walk rather quickly, and this was a good pace to keep up with, at times, wanted to take time to just look around and see the cave without feeling rushed. The winding path was open depsite the recent rain, the cave itself cold and as expected and I would wear jacket.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
I am glad you had the chance to revisit our beautiful cave as an adult. Each time I go down into the cave I am astounded by the new things I pick out each time. We always appreciate feedback and I am happy to hear that the recent rain storm did not prevent you from enjoying the Winding Way. Come back and see us again!
Gloversville, New York
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“WOW - WHAT VIEWS and good vegan food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great tour for young and old. Nice boat ride. High interest. There is a lot of walking and come dressed appropriately for 50 deg temps.

Great veggie burger that they make fresh daily.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed your tour! The food in our Cafe is delicious and we do offer healthy menu options because we understand eating healthy is important and we want our guests to be happy! I hope you get a chance to visit us again in the future!
albany ny
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Very nice tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our tour guide Cheynne was wonderful! We had a good time and the caves were very interesting and the history of the caverns was informative. Their is a cafe and gift shop. If you go dress warmly..it is colder down there than you may think. No shorts or sandals. Long pants, sweatshirt and shoes.I wish I had worn gloves and a hat.
Tour takes 1.5 to 2 hours.
No bathroom in caves..make sure you go before the tour!

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you writing about your recent trip to Howe Caverns. We are glad you enjoyed you tour. It is a cool 52 degrees in the cave year round so its a good thing to dress warm! We like to say we are the coolest place in the summer and the warmest place to visit in the winter. We hope you will be able to visit us again in the future.
Paxton, Massachusetts
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Amazing Underground”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

After leaving NY this past Memorial Day weekend, we decided to take a few hours to visit Howe Caverns. It was about an hour and half out of our way... but figured it would be well worth it. And it was! It was a wonderful time for both the young and old in our party. Although we did skip some of the stops with lots of steps for the sake of some older knees ;0) The property itself was absolutely beautiful inside and out. They have a nice small cafeteria area with the basics and ice cream vending machines. We enjoyed a small boat ride in the caverns... and our tour guide Kimberly was amazing. She did a wonderful job stating the history of the property in addition to keeping her tour intact and aware of their surroundings. We enjoyed the gift shop and brought home some great souvenirs. We spent about 2 or so hours on the property. Would definitely recommend to passers by... and would visit again if in the area.

Visited May 2013
April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I are so glad you decided to take the little detour from your route to visit us! I am happy you enjoyed the tour and I will make sure to pass your praises to Kimberly, she is a very good tour guide :) I hope the souvenirs you took home with your continue to remind you of your visit here and hope you will be able to visit us again in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write about your trip to Howe Caverns!