“Great Visit”
Review of Howe Caverns

Howe Caverns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At the great cave of the Northeast, an elevator takes you 156’below ground. The doors open into a prehistoric underground cavern 6,000,000 years in the making! Trained tour guides help negotiate the cave and teach about its magnificent natural features. Back on the surface, mine for gemstones at Howe Caverns Mining Co. Beginning summer 2011, enjoy the first phase of Howe High Adventures—featuring ropes courses, climbing walls, zip lines and more!
new york
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Visit”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Like others, I remembered Howe caverns from my childhood= 1950's and my daughter's trip 1970's. and now we took my granddaughter. age 8 We had a great time. The tour was fun and educational. We had a picnic on the lawn and then she sifted for gems..There were plenty in the small bag so there was great excitement with each find. It was well worth the trip. Didn't do the zip line, but looked like fun. Granddaughter has already planned trip with her parents.

Englewood, New Jersey
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Kids didn't want to go but were glad they did”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

A surprise lecture from Lester Howe got us in the mood. It w new since I visited as a kid. As soon as they got down the 100 feet in the elevator the kids were glad they went. The river boat ride kept them interested as they walked the cavern and listened to Kelsey the spelunking enthusiast tell them all about the cavern. The winding path towards the end was another highlight. It's a great rainy day activity if you don't mind the half hour wait (which went quickly).

Windsor, CT
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Still awesome!”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I recently visited Howe Caverns with my husband and kids (9, 12) and was afraid it would not live up to what I remembered from my childhood trip years ago. Well, it did! Sure it was commercial and kitchy; but it also was fascinating, beautiful and grand. My kids remained interested and engaged throughout the tour and especially loved the boat ride. We also purchased geodes to crack open and gem sand to mine for reasonable prices that my kids loved. All in all, touristy yes, but Howe Caverns remains a great family attraction.

New York City, New York
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Always Wanted to Visit and Glad I Did”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Growing up in New York, I've wanted to visit Howe Caverns ever since I heard about it as a kid. I finally got to go with my own kids, 4, 9 and 10 years old.

We had a terrific time being led through the caverns by our young tourguide, Anton. His wry sense of humor made the experience very enjoyable. I overheard some of the other tourguides as we passed other groups, and Anton seemed to have the best delivery by far. His badge said "1st Season" on it, which led me to believe he was a rookie, but you couldn't tell. He did a fine job.

I have read other reviews in which guests felt rushed or that the cave was overcrowded. The tours we passed on the way back to the vestibule of the cave seemed as though they were right on top of each other. Not sure if the other guides didn't get the timing right or if the tours were simply started too close together. Our tour didn't feel rushed at all.

Take a visit to Howe Caverns next time you are in Upstate New York. You'll be glad you did.

florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Big Fun”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was a very educational and interesting place. Went with family with small children and teenagers. Lots of fun had by all. The drive there a bit difficult. But worth it.

Visited September 2010