“Costly, kitsch, cool...it's a tourist attraction, folks.”
Review of Howe Caverns

Howe Caverns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At the great cave of the Northeast, an elevator takes you 156’below ground. The doors open into a prehistoric underground cavern 6,000,000 years in the making! Trained tour guides help negotiate the cave and teach about its magnificent natural features. Back on the surface, mine for gemstones at Howe Caverns Mining Co. Beginning summer 2011, enjoy the first phase of Howe High Adventures—featuring ropes courses, climbing walls, zip lines and more!
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We went with our two daughters (11&13) on a Friday - both went on the recently opened zip-lines and ropes course ($23 per kid) and then we all went down into the caves for the standard tour ($83 total). 13 y/o says the zip line and ropes course, "...were so much fun! Not long to wait, the staff were nice and helpful, and they let us go through twice!" We got some great pictures of them since you can wander around underneath it all while they're doing it. We then went to the main building where you buy your tickets - line wasn't bad to purchase and we then waited about 30 minutes for our tour to depart. Plenty to keep you busy - I'd warned my kids already that mining for "gemstones" wasn't happening, but it's there if you want it. The start of the tour was informative, the elevator ride down no problem, and introduction to our guide just fine. Our guide (Andrea) spoke loud and clear and was very nice; maybe a few too many forced one-liners and the uber-annunciation was a bit funny, but all in all great job. The caves are truly an amazing site - although it's pretty obvious a lot of man-made intervention has taken place over the years. It's still a great introduction to caving and the wonders below the surface in a 1 1/2 hour walk and boat ride. We had brought a picnic lunch (knowing it would be a costly day) but there is a restaurant and snack stand available. Picnic tables are scattered here and there all with great views of the valley the site overlooks. Based on the building and trucks going in and out that day someone is investing some serious cash into this place - they seem to be doing the right thing based on the attendance. Bring a sweatshirt, sneakers, your wallet, a camera, and a "happy to be here" attitude and you'll count it as a day off of work well spent.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"upstate new york"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I am a "senior citizen" and decided I wanted to do a zip line for my birthday. I looked on their site and found that Howe Caverns now has one. The people who worked on the zip line were fantastic, I almost froze and did not go but the young man who pushed me off calmly convinced me I could do it. The equipment is brand new and the 4 lines were smooth and it was fun!!! They also have a rope play area for adults and children, you wear a harness and are tethered so you cannot fall. Everyone looked like they were having a great time.
They made many updates on the cave. They have 2 new elevators that do not feel like they are even moving, never mind going down over 150 feet. The boats are much more stable than the old boats.
The cave is spectacular. Everyone was awed. The children on the tour were as fascinated as the adults. The guide is knowledgable and personable. Wear warm clothes, the cave is cold.
The cafe is great. My husband had a great panini and I had strawberries with sweetened cream cheese. The prices were very reasonable. It was a great day and the people who work at the cave are wonderful. The Iroquois Indian museum is also right next store.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

What a cool place. Guide was knowlegable and entertaning.highly reccomend.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

For a family of four, we paid just under $80 for an hour tour. We went on a Friday and waitied about 35 minutes to be taken by our guide. Our tour guide was very inexperienced, young, and didn't speak clearly or loud enough for the large group to hear what he was saying. He spoke very fast and the tour seemed rushed. We had to ask him to repeat himself several times. We could hear other groups ahead of us and behind us at all times and had to constantly step aside to let other groups pass to and from the elevators in and out of the cave. The boat ride was very crowded. If you don't sit in the front row, you will not see the mini waterfall where the boat reaches a dead end and turns around. My kids enjoyed mining for gemstones after the tour. I bought a small bag of dirt and rocks for $5.40 and let them sift it in the water. They had fun seeing colored rocks appear. Overall, Howe Caverns was disappointing and I wouldn't recommended driving more than an hour out of your way to visit.

2  Thank Jamie A
See more reviews
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Howe's Caverns is a little difficult to find as it is hidden in the hills of central New York. It is quite cool inside the caverns even in July. Bring a light jacket and wear non slip shoes. Adult tickets are $23.00 and children 5-11 are $12.00. An awesome tour through the caves where they age cheese in one of the caverns. It is quite tasty and not over priced. There is a boat ride through the dark caverns.
Outside you can mine for gems at a very reasonable price. The most reasonable one is only $5.00. A great experience for children and adults.
They have a cafe but we opted to bring our own lunch and sit outside. The sip line was not completed when we were there. A great place to spend a few hours.

2  Thank AineFlorida