“A relaxing and interesting day.”
Review of Howe Caverns

Howe Caverns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At the great cave of the Northeast, an elevator takes you 156’below ground. The doors open into a prehistoric underground cavern 6,000,000 years in the making! Trained tour guides help negotiate the cave and teach about its magnificent natural features. Back on the surface, mine for gemstones at Howe Caverns Mining Co. Beginning summer 2011, enjoy the first phase of Howe High Adventures—featuring ropes courses, climbing walls, zip lines and more!
Albany, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A relaxing and interesting day.”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I am a "senior citizen" and decided I wanted to do a zip line for my birthday. I looked on their site and found that Howe Caverns now has one. The people who worked on the zip line were fantastic, I almost froze and did not go but the young man who pushed me off calmly convinced me I could do it. The equipment is brand new and the 4 lines were smooth and it was fun!!! They also have a rope play area for adults and children, you wear a harness and are tethered so you cannot fall. Everyone looked like they were having a great time.
They made many updates on the cave. They have 2 new elevators that do not feel like they are even moving, never mind going down over 150 feet. The boats are much more stable than the old boats.
The cave is spectacular. Everyone was awed. The children on the tour were as fascinated as the adults. The guide is knowledgable and personable. Wear warm clothes, the cave is cold.
The cafe is great. My husband had a great panini and I had strawberries with sweetened cream cheese. The prices were very reasonable. It was a great day and the people who work at the cave are wonderful. The Iroquois Indian museum is also right next store.

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

What a cool place. Guide was knowlegable and entertaning.highly reccomend.

Rochester, New York
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“disappointing, overcrowded, rushed, pricey, commercialized”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

For a family of four, we paid just under $80 for an hour tour. We went on a Friday and waitied about 35 minutes to be taken by our guide. Our tour guide was very inexperienced, young, and didn't speak clearly or loud enough for the large group to hear what he was saying. He spoke very fast and the tour seemed rushed. We had to ask him to repeat himself several times. We could hear other groups ahead of us and behind us at all times and had to constantly step aside to let other groups pass to and from the elevators in and out of the cave. The boat ride was very crowded. If you don't sit in the front row, you will not see the mini waterfall where the boat reaches a dead end and turns around. My kids enjoyed mining for gemstones after the tour. I bought a small bag of dirt and rocks for $5.40 and let them sift it in the water. They had fun seeing colored rocks appear. Overall, Howe Caverns was disappointing and I wouldn't recommended driving more than an hour out of your way to visit.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank Jamie A
Florida
156 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 177 helpful votes
“Cave Dwellers”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Howe's Caverns is a little difficult to find as it is hidden in the hills of central New York. It is quite cool inside the caverns even in July. Bring a light jacket and wear non slip shoes. Adult tickets are $23.00 and children 5-11 are $12.00. An awesome tour through the caves where they age cheese in one of the caverns. It is quite tasty and not over priced. There is a boat ride through the dark caverns.
Outside you can mine for gems at a very reasonable price. The most reasonable one is only $5.00. A great experience for children and adults.
They have a cafe but we opted to bring our own lunch and sit outside. The sip line was not completed when we were there. A great place to spend a few hours.

2 Thank AineFlorida
Lancaster, PA
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Lots of fun”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our trip through the caverns. Kelsey, our tour guide was friendly and funny and her stories added to the trip. It's definitely down under, so don't forget your sweatshirt and we sneakers. My toes were freezing by the end of the 90 minute tour. The boat ride was a nice part of the tour, but hardly exciting or magical. This is a great place for families!

1 Thank Kristin O