“Disorganized service”

Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Horseheads
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have stayed in HIE in the past, and found them ok, considering the "Express" in the title (I kind of associate it with "drive-thru/fast food"). This time though my experience was very different . Checked-in for what I thought was 2 nights, but next day morning I see the bill/receipt that was slipped under the door. Since normally you get the bill only on the day of your checkout, I was surprised by the bill for one night that also had something like "thank you for staying with us, have a nice day". I called front desk, and the lady told me I had to check-out since they didn't have that room for 2 nights, and that I would be checking into a different, non-smoking room with king bed for the second night. I was also told I could keep the luggage in the office, which I did. So I come back to the hotel in the evening, tired after a full day of work and some hiking, and they couldn't find any reservation for me in the system! The lady (different from the one who had assured me in the morning about the room switch) then calls someone, and finally locates the reservation but apparently all they have is a smoking room. Having no choice, I took it even though I hated to have to sleep in a smoking room.

First of all, they did not tell me when checking in for the first night that I would have to switch room the next day; and then they didn't have the room type I was assured in the morning when checking in for the second night. Temperature control in the room was another project - they had three different controls on the wall along with setting for summer heat, summer cool, winter heat etc. instead of one simple thermostat where one could just set the temperature one wants. I was glad to check out of there and I know that I would not even consider that property if I have to be in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank MPfromCleveland

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Very friendly; good breakfast; kind of pricey for the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I generally try to stay at Holiday Inn Express's. This hotel does not live up to the brand.
The people were friendly, the location is good, and the room was reasonably clean.
That said, it is an old hotel and the bathroom is very cramped. The toilet is tiny. No wireless and the plug-in ethernet wouldn't work. The air conditioning did not work. It does have a working window, but being next to the interstate, that only invites in noise. I would not stay here again - especially at the standard rates.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank kingmba
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Everything was great! Checking in, getting luggage to room, layout of room, cleanliness, bed comfort, bathroom/shower, etc. etc. was really nice. Because we had the Priority Card, we had a 2 pm check out time. When we rolled our luggage cart to the car, the staff was right there to take it back into the hotel. Staff was excellent. Running out of superlatives... Hope you got the idea that this was a good value.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Right by I-86, the convenience to the Expressway is lost if you need quiet to sleep. The Expressway goes all night long. Mediocre is the operative word. Nothing outstanding, just the bland predictability that I find in hotel after hotel. That said, I stayed here so I could get a good night's sleep. Because of the Expressway noise, I did not get the only thing I wanted from the place. Thus, I won't recommend it and won't go back.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank bb_organic
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night this week. I frequently stay at Holiday Inn properties & must say that this one was a disappointment. The accomodations were below average & to add insult to injury, the standard room rate was $169.00 per night, or $190 total inc. taxes. I would have expected this hotel to be an $85.00 per night hotel. I would certainly not recommend it at the $169 per night rate.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2010

My girlfriend and I decided to explore the Finger Lakes region as a last minute Labor Day weekend getaway. We were hoping to stay in Watkins Glen or along Seneca Lake but everything was either way too expensive or booked. Being a Priority Club member with Holiday Inn Express we decided to stay at the one in Horseheads which is 17 miles south of there.
We stayed 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. Upon first glance the building seems a little dated (I'm guessing they renovated an older property when they made it a HI Express) but the inside is great and our room was beautiful. We had a comfortable king bed and a nice flatscreen television to watch, with a surprisingly large selection of channels to choose from.
The staff was very friendly, everyone went out of their way to say hello whenever we passed them. Every morning we took advantage of the complimentary continental breakfast, basically the same as every other Holiday Inn Express, with a nice selection of hot and cold items, coffee, and juices.
The hotel location proved to be a in a good location for exploring the area. The 17 mile drive up to Watkins Glen goes by quickly, and you're by Seneca Lake or Watkins Glen State Park in what seems like no time. On our third day we decided to check out Ithaca and Cayuga Lake, and that was only 40 minutes from the hotel. The highway is also right off Interstate 86 so you can easily go east or west, it doesn't seem like Niagara Falls is too far from there but because you now need a passport to go into Canada we decided not to go.
All in all we loved our time at this hotel. I would definitely recommend it for others and would stay there again if we ever had back that way. They even have a noon checkout, my favorite!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horseheads
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)
Hampton Inn Elmira/Horseheads
Candlewood Suites Elmira Horseheads
Courtyard Elmira Horseheads
Courtyard Elmira Horseheads
#6 of 11 in Horseheads
Hilton Garden Inn Elmira / Corning
Holiday Inn Elmira Riverview

Been to Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads? Share your experiences!