“Slum Dwelling - Unacceptable!”

Knights Inn Horseheads
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Horseheads
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Filthy room, stained linnens, horrible smell, substandard heat, and rotten managment. Did I catch your attention? There are more important things than low rates! Even the reception desk is closed most of the time (I.e 9:00 PM; 7:00 AM)! The desk clerk did not have the key to the juice dispenser. The desk did not see why a business traveler should n`eed a printed invoice. The Indian owner/manager spoke terrible, racist remarks against Latinos.Oh, did Imention bugs on the furniture? Enough said.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank GoYeGuy

Reviewed October 11, 2010

I read the various negative reviews on this motel, but it was the only motel in the area that was priced at a reasonable level, so I stayed there. I had a lot of trouble at checkin, they didn’t have my reservation but I still got a room at the reservation rate. The lady was very nice, but she couldn’t figure out why my reservation was not there. I had a printout from the web, and she charged me the same rate, so make sure you print and take your confirmation information! The room was small, but “homey” and smelled musty when I walked in. This is a classic 1950’s motor hotel. Large bathroom, but very old. I slept great in the soft bed and the TV had about 17 channels. I was unable to connect to the internet using wired or wireless the first night, but the wired internet worked the second night. Mostly first floor rooms where you can park at your door. There appear to be a lot of construction and highway workers who stay here on a weekly basis, but they were friendly and respectful of other guests. One alarming thing, the smoke detector in my room was missing and there are no sprinklers. Overall, I had a good stay, but I cannot recommend this motel due to the missing smoke detector. $40 rate with Tax was 12%

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2010

A terrible experience. The place was not clean. There was hair on the bathroom floor when we got there which didn't get cleaned up either day we were there. We couldn't use the heater/AC because of the stench. Something had splattered and dried on one blanket and not washed. One "fresh" facecloth had a black hand-print on it. There was no light attached to the switch by the door, so at night we had to grope our way across the room to find a light. The mattresses were horrible. Very saggy, especially on one side. The manager told me they were new, but that just can't be true. Got no apology when I complained and customer service at Wyndham, the parent company, returned only a form email. If I could give it a zero rating I would.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oldcrow74
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Here's the good news: comfortable bed and pillows, decent bath, good A/C, (can sleep with the) windows open, fridge, microwave, and pretty quiet.  Here's the bad news: very small room, needs renovation, repairs done cheaply, wi-fi only works in/near the office, and nothing like coffee or shampoo or iron in the room.  But it's pretty cheap.  You decide.

1  Thank Joe44Blow
Reviewed September 7, 2009

After staying in nice motels and hotels we got this hotel via hotwire. I must say, it was an experience. Never stayed in a place like this. The sheets didn't look that clean, it smells strange, fingernails between the bed and nightstand, dust all around the room close to the baseboards (plinth). I am not sure if I imagine the itching or not. Around five I couldn't face it anymore and went for a nap in the car.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank JohnEastman99
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I have never stayed in a place so horrible. It was the dirtiest place I have ever stayed. It felt like you were staying in a boys college dorm room built in the 70's. We apparently were in the older building. There were brown stains all over the ceilings. There were spiders in every corner and hair, fingerprints and spills on all the walls. There was brown paneling everywhere and dirty stained chairs. The bedspreads had cigarette holes all over them. The bathroom door barely opened and closed and the towels were half yellow instead of white. Oh, and if you turn the sink on when the shower is running, the shower turns cold and loses pressure. There was no drain cover on the sink and although we were given the code for the internet, it didn't work. We paid $130 a night due to a race that weekend in Watkins Glen and they were the only place around with rooms still available(no wonder!). Wish I would have planned our trip a little bit better. I am embarassed to say I even stayed there. The manager (spoken to by phone) just didn't want to hear my complains- told me I needed to report it within the first 15 minutes of my stay for him to make it better and "that it's just an old hotel". There was no making this place better. Should have just driven home!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2009

My wife and I did not find this to be a terrible motel at all. Our room was clean, no stains, no bugs. It worked just fine for our overnight stay. Don't let some old reviews scare you off.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pkdelor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horseheads
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Big Flats (Elmira), NY
Candlewood Suites Elmira Horseheads
Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads
Hampton Inn Elmira/Horseheads
Hilton Garden Inn Elmira / Corning

Been to Knights Inn Horseheads? Share your experiences!