“So-so food, lousy service.”
Review of Simon's

Simon's
Ranked #15 of 73 Restaurants in Horseheads
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“So-so food, lousy service.”
Reviewed December 13, 2011

The hotel suggested this place for tapas, and while the food was good, I can't say the same for the service. I sat at the bar, which has seen better days. I don't know if bar brawls are common here, but what else explains chunks of wood gouged out of the woodwork?

Ordering a drink took 3 tries, because the answer was usually, "We don't have that." Hendricks Gin? A single malt scotch? Bitters for a Manhattan? We're not talking exotic stuff here. After I got my drink I was ignored for the next 15 minutes while 6 or 7 of the staff shuttled back and forth between the kitchen and the bar, mostly chatting about their social lives. I was there early in the evening, so staff outnumbered customers by about two-to-one, so why no one could get served remained a mystery.

I finally used my cell phone to call the place, and said, "I'm sitting at the bar, can I get a menu?" The look on the girl's face was priceless, and after that I got some service.

They were out of the first 2 items I selected from the tapas menu (of course), but I finally went with the chicken satay skewers, Spanish shrimp, and a beef filet. The satay was tasty, but the chicken was dried out and very salty. The shrimp were good, with lots of garlic, and the beef was OK, but nothing special.

For the area it is something a bit different, but not someplace I'd give a 2nd visit.

• Visited July 2011