“Yuck!”

Travelodge Horseheads
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Horseheads
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I am not ashamed to stay in a cheap motel and I believe that the upper management of the chain would hold the individual managers to certain standards. Here are a few ways a manager of a motel can save money...don't clean the rooms, don't paint the rooms and don't provide hot water. They must be saving a bundle at this motel. It was not vacuumed; it needed painting, especially over areas where fixtures that apparently had no purpose, were removed. The shower spout had black mildew and the sink fixture had a higher level of fungi growing behind it. The wall by the light switch had brown dirt. It was probably from a construction worker who used the room...no hard feelings against the previous customer (that's why the room should be cleaned after use). The refrigerator had been removed and the filth that gathers beneath it was never cleaned. I won't mention the hallways smelled of pot. I don't know how a manager can deal with that in a motel, but apparently in this place it is tolerated.

Finally, they should no longer call this place Motel 6 which implies an inexpensive room. They should call it Motel 90 since that was how much I paid for this room near Elmira, New York.

Room Tip: Look at it first.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Travelodge Horseheads, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Reviewed October 25, 2013

This facility is in desperate need of renovation. Everything is run down and old. The TV is small, standard definition, and not flatscreen. The sliding glass door in my first-floor room could not be opened for fresh air or easy access to the outside. There were stains in the bathroom sink and lint on the carpet. The furniture is oddly placed so that I stubbed my toe coming back from the bathroom. There is not enough soap and no shampoo at all. No breakfast is offered, not even coffee. It's right off the highway, so you get bad traffic noise. The walls are thin so you can hear every conversation of every party walking down the hall, and some of the parties were partying harder than others, even at 2 AM. I got a grand total of 2 hours of sleep, most of it between 5 AM and 7 AM.

While the staff seems friendly enough, I cannot recommend anyone stay here. It's the worst Motel 6 I've ever stayed at, and the worst hotel experience I've had in 30 years. Invest a few extra bucks and try a better place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Travelodge Horseheads, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear G Alexander V - We apologize for the quality issues you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience they caused you. Please contact our guest relations department so we will have a record of your experience to better address these issues and improve your experience with us in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed here overnight on a trip from NYC to Niagara. It was conveniently located (once we found it, no thanks to Google Maps' dodgy directions) and the lady at the front desk was so nice to us, we felt welcome straight away. We hauled our bags up to the second floor (no elevator) and were a little disappointed that the room looked quite run down and grubby. TV was old and picture was fuzzy. Bed was not the best. All in all, we needed a bed and a shower and for the rate we paid, it was not too bad. Definitely not the best Motel 6 we've stayed at though.

Room Tip: No elevator, so ask for ground floor if you have big suitcases!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chocmint1980
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I made a reservation via ORBITZ. My flight was cancelled so I contacted ORBITZ who cancelled the reservation. The print out I have states the following cancellation information, “ MUST CANCEL PRIOR TO 1800 ON DATE OF ARRIVAL.” On, 08/28/13, I noticed the charge on my account, so I contacted ORBITZ at approximately 7:16pm. They told me that the charge was made by Motel 6 and I needed to contact them directly and they gave me the direct number (607) 739-2525. I contacted Motel 6 and spoke with Amera. Amera stated I needed to talk to a Manager (Teresa or Vivya) who was not in but would be in the next morning at 7:00am. She took my information and would leave them a note. On 08/29/13 I called Motel 6 and spoke with Vivya and she said she couldn’t help me I need to call back on 08/30/2013 and speak with Teresa. On 08/30/13 I contacted Motel 6 and spoke with Teresa. She said I was a no-show and there was no note stating I cancelled so she said couldn’t help me. VERY UNACCOMMODATING and RUDE!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I'm always looking for clean, inexpensive and pet friendly lodging. This place fit the bill. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. My only complaint is that the room had a slight odor after it was closed up for a while. The window had no screen. However, I still opened it to let fresh air in, but that provided bugs an opportunity to share my room. Thankfully, I didn't notice any. I had a fine experience staying here. Also, the key kept resetting every time house keeping came in to clean the room. This was just slightly inconveneint as I had to go to the front desk before I could enter my room.

Room Tip: First floor rooms have a glass sliding door. This could be good or bad depending on your preference.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We recently stayed two nights for $65.99/night. The hotel bedroom and bathroom floors were very dirtry upon arrival. I kept my shoes on for entire stay. I asked for bath towels and was told to come down to the front desk for them. Always assumed customer service would deliver towels to the room. The internet never worked, even after supposedly resetting the router. I guess in this case you get what you pay for, but would have liked to have arrived to vaccumed floors. The hotel itself was very rundown and window were also dirty.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RICK R
Motel6, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Horseheads, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear RICK R – We sincerely apologize for the cleanliness and Wi-Fi access issues you encountered during your stay. These issues are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so we can address these issues and serve you better in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed@ the motel on June 27th,13 checked in about 5:00 pm it was really great! From the minute I walked in the young spanish lady Dee was sooooooooo nice and really helpful to my family and I. She really went out of her way helping us with our bags and making sure we were okay she was great!!!! And because she was the first person I saw when I came in it really made my day thanks to how nice& helpful she was I will make sure I come back the motel they can
thank that to the young lady in the front ms Damaris good job young lady!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horseheads
Rodeway Inn Marshall Manor
Rodeway Inn Marshall Manor
#8 of 11 in Horseheads
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#3 of 5 in Elmira
Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)
Hampton Inn Elmira/Horseheads
Candlewood Suites Elmira Horseheads

Been to Travelodge Horseheads? Share your experiences!