“Honestly Look Elsewhere”

Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Horseheads
Wisconsin
“Honestly Look Elsewhere”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

What compels someone to write a review; either a great experience or in most cases a terrible one. First off don't let this hotel ruin your night spend a little extra and stay elsewhere. The cost of $76 with tax for 2 people in a two bed room is appealing but with the current state of this place it's not. From the outside the parking lot is covered with numerous potholes, (Likened to driving through a mine field to avoid the deep ones) then once you enter the building the hallway reeked of mold and smoke. My non-smoking room smelt like mold and the hallway smoke seemed to drift. There was what appeared to be blood behind the nightstand. Thick dust on top of the ledges (light switch, hair dryer, molding, etc) is never a good sign. The toilet, tub, sink, and showerhead needed de-limer bad!! The walls were stained and marked up in the bathroom and regular room. And I guess even more disturbing to me besides that was multiple strands of hair stuck to the door frame in the bathroom.

Pro: Didn't hear any noise but could be because most people know better not to stay here. Clean sheets but a dusty headboard and sleeping right next to blood stained walls negates that.

Conclusion: I'd strongly recommend not staying here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TheRamblinMan11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Let me say immediately that the ladies at the front desk were very helpful, efficient and nice, however... I read all the online reviews before I booked here, but since this was my 5th stay, I decided to book anyway, as we had never had any previous issues. We hadn't stayed in 5 years, and unfortunately, it looks like absolutely no maintenence has been done in 5 years. The outside doors were propped open and since I was traveling with my daughter, we are both quite security conscious. My daughter went to the front desk, and was told that the door was broken by "some guys who lived here this winter" and was not fixed. It is July 11 (I just got back home) so that is 6 months and the security door is not fixed... so much for card entry. When I checked in to our non-smoking room, the housekeepers were sitting outside the front doors... both of them smoking like chimneys. Hence, the halls, rooms and linens all reek of cigarette smoke. My daughter has major allergies and both she and I are very sensitive to cigarette smoke (thus we ALWAYS book non-smoking rooms). Fortunately for me, I had brought my own pillows. There was also a dog show going on locally. My daughter is so allergic, she blew up like a balloon, and had beet red eyes, headaches, and was unable to sleep. Last night (Sunday) she bought a pillow, and at least got SOME sleep... also, the dogs had checked out! We checked in Friday... when we returned late Saturday from the dance competition we were there for, the beds had bben made, but our neat pile of used towels was sitting right where we left it, and we had no new linens. We went and the very nice front desk lady went and got the stuff. Yesterday (Sunday) we again returned late from the dance competition, and NOTHING had been done in our room... beds unmade, no cleaning, and our neat (now 2 day) pile of towels was still sitting in the bathroom. Again, the front desk lady was lovely... very apologetic, asked us if we wanted HER to come down & service the room. We said no, that's fine, but can we have some linens?
SO... BUYER BEWARE!! You get what you pay for, but in this case, I don't think I even got that. It's Horseheads, NY (by the way, I grew up there) & a $70.00 room is NOT CHEAP! We stay in lovely hotels in Las Vegas for much less. I wish there was a way to communicate with the owners of this place, and tell them they're doing their customers, and those on the staff who seem to care about their jobs, a major disservice. Look for other options here... unfortunately, everything was booked because of the dog show and dance competition!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank NelliBli
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I made a reservation 2 months in advance for non-smoking room. The room we got (the lady in fron desk claimed it is the last available room) smelled like someone just finished his cigarette. In addition, the motel is very low maintained: bathroom was not clean and windows looked like it has been very long time since someone cleaned it. This room was too much for us and we left 25 minutes after arrival. We paid additional 90 USD for a very nice room at Holiday Inn Express very near by. DO NOT GET CLOSE TO THIS MOTEL 6!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank n699fjw
Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I am writing in regards to a recent multiple night stay at the Motel 6 located in Horseheads, New York. A group of us traveled through New York over Memorial Day weekend, in all we booked 4 rooms for multiple nights each. When arriving at the hotel two of us checked in to our rooms at the front desk. I was given two keys for my room with no problem while my aunt was told she would only get one key for her room. When I questioned the clerk she shrugged her shoulders and said, “well that door doesn’t work right so you only get one key.” Not the answer we were looking for.
We were told what rooms and were sent on our way after the clerk checked to see if they were cleaned. When I arrived to our rooms, they were both filthy. The sweeper had obviously not been run, there were piles of crumbs all over the floor. When I went to tell the clerk she said, “go tell the cleaning lady.” When I found the “cleaning lady” and told her about the piles of crumbs everywhere she said, “well I didn’t vacuum because I didn’t have a sweeper all day”, like that was a good reason to have not swept the floors.
At this point we began to unload our belongings. Upon entering the bathroom of the room there was hair all over the toilet seat. It had not been cleaned. There was peeling plaster in the bathroom and it was disheveled. We decided to head over to a local drug store to get cleaning supplies to clean ourselves. We didn’t want to trouble the housekeeper any more.
Later that night as we got ready for bed, we noticed spots all over the top blanket, which we removed from the beds. Looking closer, on one bed the sheets were filthy. There were brown spots looking to be coffee all over the pillow cases. I went to the front desk and showed the clerk and she gave me new sheets and pillow cases for both beds in my room, which made it a little easier to sleep knowing they were clean.
The sliding door that was in the room to lead to the parking lot had bird feces on the outside from the time we checked in to the time we left. There had obviously been a dog in the room at some point because there were nose prints and marks all along the bottom of the door. There were also no working handles any of the 4 room door to open them. In order to open the door you had to be Hercules and pull at the side. Also, the toilet did not flush properly, in order to get it to actually flush you had to pump the handle or take the cover off.
Overall, our stay at this Motel 6 was horrendous. We felt like we were at the Bates Motel. I have stayed at Motel 6 before without problems, but this trip really changed my mind about this company. I cannot believe Motel 6 would allow Motel 6 in Horseheads to use their name. We knew we weren’t staying at the Ritz this weekend; all we were looking for is a clean place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Kristy3518
Cornell University
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I have stayed at this establishment many times. The front desk staff are very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are clean and I have always had a quiet stay.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Everything that people have said about this place is true: the hotel is off a one-way street next to I-86, so it is a pain in the butt to access. The lobby has been renovated. The hallway stinks of cigarette smoke. The mattress is uncomfortable. The walls are paper-thin, so you can hear conversations outdoors -- this was particularly disconcerting to me since I was traveling solo, and was spooked out in general. And, of course, the noise woke me up and I never could return to sleep.

On the upside, Gail at the front desk is super nice and she was very reassuring when I got lost trying to the find the place. (BTW, the address was not recognized by my Garmin device.)

In closing, I probably should've saved the $55 and stayed at a friend's house in Elmira.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Arcanum, Ohio
Reviewed October 11, 2010

You get what you pay for!!! This hotel is not in a very nice location. The rooms are filthy and everything is VERY run down. People were coming in and out slamming doors at all hours of the night. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money and go stay somewhere else!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horseheads
Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads
Rodeway Inn Marshall Manor
Rodeway Inn Marshall Manor
#8 of 11 in Horseheads
Hampton Inn Elmira/Horseheads
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#3 of 5 in Elmira
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)
Fairfield Inn & Suites Elmira Corning

Been to Budget Inn Horseheads? Share your experiences!