Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Horseheads
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Good hotel. I have been staying here for the past 4 years. Location is right off the highway with a couple restaurants right next door/across the street. Prices the best in Elmira. Not actually in Elmira. Close to retail plazas.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Deb_GMHorseheads, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira), responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

I would like to thank you very much for your continued loyalty to the Country Inn and Suites during your travels to our area. We enjoy doing the little extras for our guests to ensure that they feel welcomed an comfortable during your stay. Thank you again for the great review and recommending us to others.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed here as our base for visiting the southern Finger Lakes region. It was pretty much central to where we wanted to go and close enough to Watkins Glen, where we went a number of times. Loved our room, French doors divided the king bed from the sofa bed, and the 2 TVs were a godsend to this family who half fall asleep to a TV and the other half wants silence. Housekeeping was wonderful, I think this is the first time we ever got a thank you for the tip we left (thanks, JoJo, you were awesome). It's close to many restaurants (including a late night McD's close by). The one drawback to this hotel was that it is close to an airport and we did a couple of times hear some late night planes, but other than that, I would definitely recommend this staying here.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel was great. After driving over 800 miles with my 3 kids we arrived here. I promised my kids a pool with a hot tub. The girl at the front desk, Chanel, was very pleasant, and had a quirky sense of humor which was much appreciated. The room was clean, the pool was perfect for kids, (steps, then 3 ft, to around 5 ft.) I would recommended this hotel to anyone traveling through the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel is very clean. The staff are so helping and always smiling, although they are extremely busy. Great location for shopping.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've stayed at several Country Inn & Suites over the last few months and received good quality and great value. This was the worst experience of the CI&S group by far and one of my more disappointing hotel stays in years. I travel about 100 nights per year for the past 20 years. I am a Club Carlson member. Upon check-in, we were informed the king bed I had reserved for my wife and I was unavailable. I did receive a "lesson" from the young clerk that internet reservations are not guaranteed for room type, only if your call the 800# and I clearly blew it by not calling the 800#. I'm sure the folks who run the CI&S website will be happy to hear that. The hotel has both nonsmoking and smoking rooms in close proximity to one another (including side by side). It is possible to be in a nonsmoking room as we were, but have tobacco smell coming in -- we did. Not fun. We returned to our room at 9PM the second day to find it had not been cleaned. We called down to the front desk and learned there was no recourse other that a couple clean towels. Upon checking out in the AM, the evening clerk had made a note in our record that our room had not been cleaned. I too mentioned this only to have the clerk insist that we must somehow of had the do not disturb sign out. We did not. She was nonplussed. Totally insincere on her part and a bit snarky to boot. When asked if a modest discount might be offered on the 169.99 rate, she told us that staff cannot make any changes whatsoever. So, to sum up, good location, no room type guaranteed, tobacco smell comes into nonsmoking room, unclean room, staff that are not empowered to aid guests, but at least it was the most expensive CI&S night of all I have ever purchased. With three newer hotels within eyesight of this hotel and travel taking me to Elmira again in the future, one can guess I'll never be laying eyes on the Country Inn & Suites Big Flats again.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, definitely ask to be on the side away from the highway
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NutmegCT
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our race team recently stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Big Flats. It is about a 1/2 hour away from Watkins Glen raceway and very close to (about 5 minutes away from) the Elmira airport.

We had a room with a king size bed. It also had a sitting area. The room was reasonably clean. There are also a few things that could use improvement - our A/C unit leaked water all over the carpet near the unit - so there was a big puddle of water on the floor. A shampoo bottle from a previous guest was left in the top corner of my shower and it stayed there throughout my stay - despite visits from housekeeping.

This hotel is located close to the highway, a Wal-Mart, Outback restaurant and shopping mall.

The hotel offers free breakfast and cookies, but we did not try either.

This hotel is ok, but considering the price we paid for our room(s), I think you could do much better as far as value for price paid.

Suggestion: Watkins Glen is a summer vacation destination. You may want to consider looking into options such as a bed and breakfast and / or vacation rental in this area because for about the same price you could have more privacy and nicer ambiance than compared to a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here while in town for a wedding. Rooms were spacious but it was clear touch up paint jobs occurred and the dusting of hvac vents weren't on the cleaning staffs list. Front desk staff was service oriented and friendly. We were disappointed with breakfast and food staff member was not cheery. Overall, solid but not up to standards of other country inn's we've experienced.

• Stayed: June 2012