“LOVED the in-room jacuzzi!”

Hampton Inn Elmira/Horseheads
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Horseheads
GreenLeadersGold level
Schenectady, New York
“LOVED the in-room jacuzzi!”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

After shopping around the hotels in the Elmira/Corning area, we settled on the Hampton Inn since it offered us an in-room jacuzzi and husband and I were in desperate need of some relax time!

From the second we stepped into the lobby, we knew we would enjoy our stay. I had prepaid for the room and when we checked in, the front desk staff had our key all ready to go. Even though we were right around the corner from the elevators, we never heard any noise, from either them or other guests. The room itself was spacious and well laid out, with the jacuzzi tucked over to the corner closest to the bathroom. The room was clean, the shower pressure great, and the bed comfy, things I definitely appreciate about the Hilton family of hotels.

The continental breakfast offered quite a variety - from cereal, yogurt, eggs, home fries, pastries and bagels, to freshly-made waffles and fruit. Breakfast conveniently runs 6 - 10 AM and we were always able to get a table. In addition, the staff are very attentive and food was constantly being replenished.

The hotel is directly across from the Arnot Mall and just a few minutes ride from Starbucks and a number of restaurants (Panera, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc). In addition, it's close to the wine trail but just enough off the beaten path that you don't hear any road noise (always a good thing for a four-story hotel!).

We are traveling to the area again in a few months and have already booked a repeat stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelerGrrrl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I should begin by mentioning that I've stayed at Hampton Inns many times and when I send one of my employees out on a business trip we always opt for a Hampton first. Over the last 4 years, I've probably spent more than $5,000 with this chain.

Yes, there have been problems but they have all been smaller than what it was worth to complain. This time is an exception. I had a problem with my reservation and was not able to get anything other than an empty promise or a passing of the buck. More than 90 minutes on the phone going in this order....

Hotel Manager
She absolutely would not do anything to help citing that I had to contact the corporate office.

Advanced Purchase Guest Services
The agent at this phone number said she wouldn't help (not couldn't) because I made my reservation through I third party website. This was untrue. I made my reservation and paid for it using the official Hampton website. I did not use Expedia or Orbitz or any other company. She put me on hold multiple times and then said to call the hotel manager back and that she would help me.

Hotel Manager
I call her back and had to leave a message. She called me back and left me a textbook voice mail message saying that I needed to call advanced purchase guest services.

Advanced Purchase Guest Services
No help again. After several minutes on hold, I was told that the people at a different number would help me out.

Corporate Office
More useless information. Careless and robotic people. I was given another phone number to call.

Not Sure Who
No help at all. Told me to call back to the next number.

Advanced Purchase Guest Services
No help at all. Said I had to speak to the person below.

Director of Marketing (What the heck?)
This person had a voice mail message saying she was away until June 15th. That was odd that day was June 17th. No help here.

Hampton Inn Corporate Office
From here, I was transferred to two additional people. I don' know why. My head was spinning at this point.

I spoke to many people but there were three who were exceptionally rude. One of the operators repeated the exact same words to me three times in a row. She said "I'm sorry but this is our policy" when I asked three different questions. One of those questions was "May I speak to a supervisor?" That is right... her monotone reply to that questions was "I'm sorry but this is our policy."

I tried tracking down the name of the CEO. When I called Hampton's corporate number, I was surprised that no one knew who the president of the company was nor did they know how to escalate my concern to an appropriate person. Apparently they have never heard of Howard Silver or Chris Nassetta (whom I think are the big shots at Hampton).

These are the most heartless, uncompassionate, and obnoxious people I've ever found in a hotel chain. Throughout the 90 minutes, twice I was "disconnected' (in other words hung-up-on) while on hold. In the end, Hampton Inns now has $350 of my money for free. This chain is clean and affordable; I couldn't say anything to the contrary. But when something goes wrong, you will find that they will do nothing to help.

Final note... this is the second time I am writing this review. TripAdvisor would not post my original review because I included the phone numbers of the people I mentioned above.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank StarEver
NJ
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We were upgraded because of a special occasion; disconcerting to find a jacuzzi tub in the corner of the bedroom, but there it was! The room was well-appointed, though, and larger than the average, so it didn't get in our way. The bathroom was nice-sized, and had the usual Hampton Inn amenities.
The breakfast was quite good, and there were plenty of tables and chairs for the guests.
I also utilized the coffee-maker in the room, as well as the refrigerator. There also was coffee/tea available in the lobby all day (and all night!). There is free and more-than-adequate parking, and plenty of local (mall) shopping nearby, should you need it. The pool is indoors, and looked quite inviting, although we didn't use it. It is convenient to the major (Route 17) highway, and it was easy to get to Corning and the various lakes to visit the wineries.
The front desk staff was pleasant and were able to give concise directions when we needed help.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend trip to the wineries and shopping. We liked the location because it is a short drive up to the Seneca Lake Winery Trail and it is also close to many restaurants and local shopping.
The staff was friendly and helpful. This hotel has recently been remodeled - it was very clean, has nice size rooms and comfortable beds. The free breakfast runs until 10am and offers a good variety of foods. The pool, whirlpool and fitness room are nicely maintained and weren’t very crowded during our stay.
Overall – a very good option for winery trips -I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank vacayr0cks
Liverpool
Reviewed March 3, 2011

It was a Grandma's runaway time !!!! We had a wonderful stay in a clean, quite, comfortable hotel. The beds and pillows were out of this world !!!! I usually don't sleep well in hotels, but I had no problem !! Breakfast was excellent !!! The staff attentive. I will stay there again

• Stayed February 2011
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a long weekend while visiting some of the Finger Lake wineries. We arrived on black Friday and found that the hotel was located directly across the street from a very busy mall. This wasn't a problem, we were able to get to the hotel without any problem and. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and our room as well as the rest of the hotel was very clean.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Charleston, SC
Reviewed October 27, 2010

The manager was on site when I checked out. She handled the reservation error both professionally and with my satisfaction. I am disabled, so I always book my rooms in advance to get a handicap accessible room that has a roll-in shower. When I booked this room, for two nights, I stressed that I needed the roll-in shower and verified that I was getting this with the desk clerk who made my reservation. It was clear when I repeated the confirmation to him. Yet when we arrived, we unloaded our "stuff" without even looking in the bathroom and when we discovered our room did not have the correct shower, it was too late to do anything about it. I was told the room/rooms with the roll-in shower were taken for the nights I would be there. I made the best of it the first night, but the mechanism holding the hand-held shower wand in place came apart and the bar fell out. So we wasted the entire next morning trying to find another hotel. Instead of spending the day exploring Keuka Lake as planned, we made a quick dash around the lake and cut our trip short, heading home that evening instead. This was our first visit to the Finger Lakes, so this was a disappointment. When we checked out, I learned that the manager had been trying her best to accomodate us, even getting another guest to switch rooms. But another issue was that the portable shower stool supplied by the hotel wouldn't even fit in the new smaller bathtub. This is a new Hampton Inn and I wish they'd stop cutting corners. I will say this, though, the room was a wonderfully large room for a change...without being a suite. There was a very comfortable easy chair in the room, too, and the space in the room was a luxury by today's standards. I have found so much variance in the Hampton chain, even among the newer locations. So one never knows what to expect when booking at Hampton Inn. I gave this location high marks because of the nice large room, because of the friendliness of the clerks at the front desk, and because the manager waived the charges due to the issues. If I'd had the room I reserved with the shower I needed, I wouldn't have had any issues with this Hampton at all. It was such a relief to have such a nice size room for a change. The young man who took my reservation over the phone volunteered suggestions for our first visit to the Finger Lakes. As for value, I do think the rate was too high.....$161 with AARP & not a suite.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family