“Very good but croweded”

El Meson de Chucho El Roto
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Enjoying the best terrace square and enjoy our exquisite mexican cuisine .
Montreal, Canada
“Very good but croweded”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Avoided it at first just because of the location (on qa very busy walkway and the annoying hawkers that prowal the walkway) but food is good and fresh

Visited September 2012

Mexico D.F.
“Delicious Chile en Nogada”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

After eating Chile en nogada in Puebla (restaurant: El Ranchito MXN$165、LA Casita de Antaño MXN$185、La Lunita MXN$200) on 01/Sep/2012. I think Chile en Nogada of El Meson de chucho el roto(MXN$125) is the champion in my mind(been here on 25/Feb/2012). Recommend to Try it!

• Visited February 2012
Queretaro City, Mexico
“Much to enjoy”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Situated in the corner of the Plaza de Armas in El Centro Historico this restaurant offers everything; great food, service, music, a view of the plaza and people watching. Daytime or nighttime it is great. Sitting near the fence separating the restaurant from the street you will be approached by people, usually children or teenagers, wanting to sell you something. A polite “No gracias, Señor” or “Señorita” is usually enough to let them move on. I find that adding the appropriate “Señor” shows a little respect and facilitates the process.

People watching is some of the fun. Teenage couples walk by enthralled with each other, trying to make that serious connection. There are married folk or twenty-somethings going to or from another restaurant who are sharing a conversation. There are the people, young and old, sitting on benches around the plaza who are chatting together and watching other people. Sometimes there are free concerts and street performers in the plaza. There is plenty to watch.

At peak hours there may be a small line waiting out front. Usually you can be seated immediately. In either event enjoy the music at de Chucho. The 1810 is right next door and they have music too. The bands will alternate; playing for a while at de Chucho and then at 1810. Music almost always fills the air. Usually a normal party will be one to a family of 5 or 6. They can make tables available for larger parties but be realistic about how long it will take to seat you. Last night I walked in around 8:00 PM and was seated immediately though the restaurant was full. Within a minute or two the mesero was there to take my drink order; tequila con sangrita was the order of the evening. You have to ask for water which is either natural or with gas (carbonated). I prefer my water plane.

Menus are available in Spanish or English. Since Mexico is a Spanish speaking country do not be surprised if your waiter speaks little or no English. Nevertheless, you should be able to get what you want. The menu, pronounced “men-ooh” is extensive; appetizers, soups, entrées of beef, chicken, fish, pork and plenty of Mexican and local dishes. Since I was alone I ordered 2 appetizers. The appetizers are substantial so unless you just fell out of a Botero portrait, 2 will be sufficient. I enjoyed the Tuna Tartar and a bowl of Huitlacoche sopa con crema. The title is Prehispanic Soup on the meny. Don’t look it up, you will never try it but believe me, it is delicious.

A meal can be expensive. It is easy to spend more for booze than food. I never let this bother me but I want to level set the expectations.

I put this restaurant (experience) in the excellent category because of all of the above. I have been there several times, alone, with spouse, with family, with many friends and I have always had a great time and meal. I do not suffer well the whiners; “My soup was cool”, “My waiter didn’t come the second I thought the word ‘waiter’.” Your mileage may vary but there is no accounting for personal taste.

• Visited August 2012
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
“Good Restaurant”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

It is a good restaurant situated on the Marques square. The food is very good and the atmosphere at night is awesome. Just do not sit next to the music. Or uncovered by an umbrella. If it is windy, a piece of dirt can fall from the trees. Service is very good and fast.

Visited August 2012
Haina, Germany
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Distinctive flavors in a romantic and elegant park setting”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This restaurant, above most of the others we had the opportunity to dine in, offered a very relaxed setting amongst a historic square within the state of Queretaro, Mexico. The music was classy. The service was excellent. And the food was delicious. It was not at all what we expected. We did have to walk a bit away from our hotel. However, after eating at some of the other locations in the historic section of this state, my wife and I were in complete agreement that this was the best of them all. The stuffed chile was original...and although slightly on the spicy side...very good. We also ordered the tuna steak plate, which was also very good. The dessert selection was excellent - although we later found out they are not made at the restaurant.

As a whole, this was one of the best and most romantic restaurants we visited. We especially enjoyed the immaculate garden setting that the historic square had to offer.

• Visited August 2012