“Old World Charm...”

Ranked #91 of 93 Hotels in Queretaro City
Ottawa, Canada
“Old World Charm...”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a fair priced hotel for the location. Half a block from downtown and if you go to the main garden downtown, there are free performances almost every night. The room was very comfortable (and large). It had the authentic Mexican charm. The food is ok but you can always get street food anytime. The staff were extremely polite, helpful and accomodating. The cleaning lady came by only three times but that's what I asked her to do. I was barely in the room so not much to clean. Oh yeah, and the rooms are huge!

Room Tip: The only negative I had was that my balcony faced the main street and I could hear music until the w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I visited this hotel as it forms part of a tour of local legends (it used to be a convent) and if the rooms are anywhere near as badly looked after as the common areas I would not recommend it.
The dirty textiles and plastic chairs and tables with beer logos made me think of charter hotels in southern Europe from the 80´s (but not in a good way...).

For a group of teenagers doing Mexico on the cheap it is a great deal at the locally advertised rate of 35 dollars (490 pesos), but I wouldnt pay a cent more.

The location is excellent though, right in the middle of the historical centre, just be aware that it is a very low budget hotel and it shows...

• Stayed March 2009

Travelers are raving about these Queretaro City hotels

Reviewed February 25, 2009

If you have any plans to go to Queretaro and you are going to be mainly in downtown, this hotel is one very good option. Below you will find the pros and cons so you may feel free to decide wheter to choose or pass on.

LOCATION. Right in downtown half block away from Plaza la Corregidora, you can walk around and find restaurants, bars, groceries, practically anything within walking distance. The hotel itself does not look very attractive and the room we were assigned was in the back passing the restaurant which might have not been idealy but since we were away from the noise of the main passage it end up fine for us.

ROOM. The room was spacious with very high ceiling, TV, two double beds, bathroom with bathtub, closet and table with couple chairs. The decoration was tried to be preserved as colonial style, you notice that in the head beds and center table with chairs, as well as vanity mirror and drawers.
CONS. The room needed touches of paint, polish the entire floor, have definetely better pillows and it would have been nice to have better quality in sheets, more simple design or neutral color to armonize. Remote control we have to ask for 3 changes since it was nor working well. Bathroom, well, they really need to hire and do some extenstive maintenance work, you could see the mold around the bathtub and they could definitely change the sliding door for a nice curtain, plus there is no holder where to hand towells or even a holder for toilet paper. They could also improve a little bite more in the amenities, since the shampoo and conditioner where being refil in small containers with no brand or label, and the towels are really very old and not appropiate for hotel service. Closed need to have hangers and at some point a safe in the room could be very useful as well.
Something I really miss was the hair dryer, I forgot mine and when I asked for one they did not have any, so you could imagine with the 15-18 celsius outside and too much wind and my wet hair well.. not a very good idea but nothing much that I could do.
The other thing they did not have WI-FI.
Not convenient if you have a car since they do not have parking lot or any parking area.

VALUE. The fact that you are so close to everything is the plus ultra, the rate in pesos around 750 and with the current US exchange around $55 US, but I think they can improve a lot if they decide to invest more in the rooms maintenance and amenities.

RESTAURANT. They have a restaurant at the hotel entrance but I did not try any single meal there since we went to Doña Urraca and another locals one in the area.

LAUNDRY. The service is not bad but great definetely not, I had some white t-shirts that become a little darker perhaps because they were mixed with color but any way, we were in a little bite of hurry and had no chance to check it out before our check out.

SERVICE. We hardly were at the hotel but only to sleep but the few ocassions that I need to contact the front desk we were attend promply and very nicely.

The nightlife is very good and you definitely have to take a look in a new bar call Horus, fantastic concept and unique design. A-must-try- restaurant are Argentalia and Fonda San Blass, 1800 & Chucho el Roto they are for tourist but with great atmosphere and ambience, nice to hear the music they play on the weeekends.

We had a great stay in Queretaro but I am sure we would like to try something else, perhaps different and hopefully in the price range. We want to try something close to everything, we knew that we were not going to spend too much time in the hotel only for sleeping and take a shower but definitely improvements can be done if they pay attention to details and basic amenities for guests.

I had the opportunity to check out Casa Molina Inn and they have finished two rooms already and are in the process to end up the entire house (an antique one that is being remodeled and refurbished with only 6-7 rooms) in around one month, so we will try that in our next visit..

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
California
Reviewed December 3, 2007

Very convenient to downtown Queretaro. Hotel's furnishings were clean but a bit older which was fine with us. Since we were close to the main plaza, music did not die down until midnight. If you're looking for a bit quieter, request room on the inside courtyard instead of on the street side.

• Liked — convenience and price
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GenieC
Chico, California
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Queretaro's historic district is relatively small but extremely attractive. This town takes pride in their clean, well lit, no-traffic walkways through-out most of this area. Some of the nicer hotels are extremely pricy. This one, Meson del Obispado, was the best answer to all of my traveler's needs. The location is perfection...right on one of the most popular walkways...very safe and central. The hotel is attractive: a broad sweeping tiled staircase that reminded me of European hotels, several comfy lounge areas, and a pretty restaurant at the entrance. My room was huge, completely tiled with old Spanish tile. The ceiling was about 12 feet high! The sounds of the lively street can be avoided by asking for a room in the courtyard. I have earplugs and selected a room with a balcony overlooking the entire historic zone. It was all quite nice, The rate for me; solo traveler in September, was $42 USD a night. It might not match some of the other hotels in opulent luxury, but it holds its own and Meson del Obispado is a real bargain.

• Stayed September 2007