“Wonderful place to relax”

Hotel Quinta Santiago
Ranked #41 of 93 Hotels in Queretaro City
TOLUCA, MEXICO
“Wonderful place to relax”
Reviewed November 5, 2007

I stayed at Quinta Santiago with my mother and aunt. It was just what we were looking for -- quiet, quaint, and in the heart of the historical center. If you're looking for a hopping spot with a bar, go elsewhere. (The bar at the Gran Hotel seemed to be one of the most popular places in town.) Quinta Santiago is peaceful and laid back. It's just off a main plaza, so there's no noise at all. It's walking distance to everything in the historic center. Each morning, we enjoyed a nice breakfast buffet in the courtyard with excellent service. The full-service staff was helpful and friendly. They can arrange anything for you -- a massage, tour, rental car, etc. The room was spotless and well-lit, which is sometimes rare for historic buildings. I loved the rooftop access for a nice view of the city.
We'd love to go back!

• Liked — location, historic hotel (former convent)
  • Disliked — nothing --it was just what we were looking for
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank KRISTANITZA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Denver
Reviewed October 14, 2007

What a surprise! The 1700's convent has been converted into an interesting hotel. The room was huge with a king bed, shower only, TV with CNN and American Network, hairdryer and soaps. Breakfast was included and they offered bacon & eggs, pancakes, fruit, etc. There was uneven water temperature in the shower and the sink was high so I had to stand on my tip-toes. The wierdest thing was the buzz from the airconditioning next door. We had to turn our fan on to drown it out.

The location was in the historic area but off the main streets. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Queretaro is a UNESCO site and is a fantastic colonial Mexican city.

• Liked — Staying in a historic convent
  • Disliked — buzzing of AC
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Freedomtogo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 28, 2007

The Hotel Santiago is a very nice place, in a good location to see a lot of the sites in Queretaro. We paid $102 per night for a room with a queen/king size bed, including breakfast buffet. The hotel appears to have been remodeled recently and the rooms are very modern and nice. Our room had no window, but excellent lighting, A/C and all the amenities of a very modern hotel. It is in a classic colonial Spanish building, with the rooms around a central courtyard and another group of rooms, to the side, with a small courtyard. Our room faced the central courtyard, where it appeared that live music was going to occur in the evening. Thankfully, it rained and we never got to find out how long, or loud the music would play. It would be worthwhile to ask about the rooms to the side. They seem to have more privacy and would be more quiet.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The central courtyard is a restaurant and bar. When we were there in June, the bar didn't have a liquor license, so we relaxed outside of our rooms with some of our own Scotch. The breakfast buffet was good. I recommend the cochinita pibil. The restaurant/bar manager was named Moises and he was extremely helpful in recommending places to eat, things to see, etc. Parking is on site, at the rear of the courtyard area. It seems to be very secure. Streets in this part of Queretaro are very narrow and I recommend you have good directions before trying to find the hotel. We didn't know how to get to the hotel and made multiple phone calls to the hotel while entering Queretaro and got several different sets of directions over the phone.

Good place to stay and excellent value.

Stayed June 2007
4 Thank monterreyjack
Zacatecas
Reviewed August 29, 2007

The Quinta Santiago is located a few short blocks (a five minute walk) from the city center of Queretaro. Its exterior is misleading, but the interior is spacious and delightful. A converted colonial building, the Quinta Santiago has its rooms built around two large courtyards, one of which features a small restaurant. The rooms are spacious, with large showers, desks and internet access. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel even has a special telephone line for free international calls for the guests - a big savings. To top it off, the hotel is reasonably priced. A true hidden gem, located on a quiet side street with little traffic.

• Liked — Quiet setting, clean spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Restaurant fare was average
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Greg Schell
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 24, 2007

We certainly enjoyed our three days this month in this hotel (and in Queretero, the cleanest city I've seen anyplace in the world). We arrived from a lavishly and colorfully decorated B&B in Tlaquepaque (Guadalajara), and at first blush Quinta Santiago seemed a step or two down, but on closer examination it was clear that this appearance was due entirely to restraint and good taste. The appointments were excellent, the service friendly and helpful. and the location in the historic city center very convenient.
We saw few North American or European tourists in Queretero, which is surprising since cleanliness is not this city's only virtue by any means. It' has a very interesting city center, with beautiful architecture--especially churches--and numerous attractive plazas.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of good light for reading
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dormin
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed January 6, 2007

Based on Tripadvisor reviews I chose this hotel, and was quite happy. Having arrived around 11pm on my first day, I stayed at the Hidalgo, then moved here the next morning. Quite a change (on my way back, I stayed at the Casa de la Marquesa -the Quinta Santiago is a better deal).

I love the old colonial style, and the room lived up to expectations. Lucking out with Room 117, which is in the back of the hotel, and extremely private and quiet, everything about the room was excellent. I liked the bathroom with large counter and huge walk-in shower better than a freestanding sink and bath.

The back courtyards outside my room added to the colonial (medieval) atmoshere.

I decided to splurge on a Tapanco Suite, and I'm not sure that it's worth it. It had a nice staircase, and an upstairs loft-style livingroom, but I had actually wanted a more spacious room. Having the table and couches ( two T.Vs, one on each floor) upstairs was inconvenient. It added atmosphere,style,and some space, but wasn't that functional.

One reason I stayed in more expensive hotels was for heat. It had an excellent aircon/heater with remote control, and kept the room a perfect temperature (despite the fact I had a much higher ceiling in the suite).

The location is excellent, half a block down a very small, quiet street from the Jardin Guerrero, and only a five minute walk down the main street (past the Marquesa) to the Jardin Zenea, in the center of the old city. Everything is in easy walking distance, including the Cerro de las Companas, which is a 20-30 minute walk in the opposite direction.

Overall, my Tapanco Suite cost about $150 dollars, including tax, and was much nicer than my normal room at the Casa de la Marquesa (where I spent 3 nights on my way back), which was $180 dollars - discounted to $150, but not including tax.
The suites in the Marquesa are enormous and beautiful, but cost way more. The colonial atmosphere (courtyards, lobby, etc.) is a toss-up, but the Quinta Santiago is much quieter and private.

The Quinta Santiago uses electronic strip cards for it's very sturdy doors, while the Marquesa gives 2 keys for the heavy front door and very flimsy room door.

Of minor importance, a nice breadfast (eggs, meat, juice, etc.)was included at the Quinta Santiago, while the Marquesa gave me ONE complimentary continental breakfast for the THREE nights.

• Liked — Colonial architecture, comfort, quiet location
  • Disliked — Suite had two floors
  • Tips/Secrets — I liked it better then the Marquesa
  • Stayed December 2006
10 Thank Mike-Wiesner
Sanibel, Florida
Reviewed October 20, 2006

All we needed was one night before an uncivilized early flight time back to the USA. The Quinta Santiago made it quite enjoyable. The manager(I think) greeted us in such a friendly way that we weren't sure. They had a FREE phone to call home .
The rooms were spacious but very plain. The bathroom and dressing room were all done in Mexican Marble and lovely fixtures.

We had planned to eat at the Casa Marquesa,which we did, and then go to bed early. There was so much to see within walking distance though that we wished we had another day there. We left a 3:30AM wake up call and arranged for a cab to the airport.
Upon hearing of our early departure schedule, the manager arranged for us to have a lovely snack for us waiting at the front desk.

This hotel had everything that we needed for our short stay at a very reasonable price(approx $94.) I would not hesitate to stay there again.
Sharon Vartdal
Florida, USA

• Liked — Friendliness and location.
  • Disliked — The rooms were very stark and concrete. It needs a little decorating.
  • Tips/Secrets — Save money by staying here and use the savings to eat at the Casa Marquesa.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends