“Love Queretaro”
Review of Hidalgo Hotel

Hidalgo Hotel
Ranked #56 of 94 Hotels in Queretaro City
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Queretaro is such a great city and Hotel Hidalgo is an excellent place to stay while exploring this beautiful city. We studied Spanish at Ole and it is quite close. I have stayed here 3 times and I have no complaints. Staff is helpful. Courtyard is beautiful. I love staying in places steeped in history and ambience. Reading other reviews I see some reservations about noise but I must be a good sleeper, I had no issues.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gayle298

Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was our second visit to Hotel Hidalgo in as many years and we enjoy its charm despite some shortcomings. It must be remembered that this hotel is one of the historic buildings in Queretaro, and it has not been restored to the level of a 4 or 5 star hotel, but given the price, this should not be expected. However, some of the maintenance issues can not be attributed solely to its age but if you are willing to overlook these you will not be disappointed with its location. During both of our stays we had originally requested a room with one bed but these rooms turned out to be very small with no windows other than what was in the door. Both times we requested to be moved to rooms with two beds and these proved to be brighter and more spacious. The restaurant associated with this hotel appears to be quite popular with the locals, and although we have only had breakfast here, I can say that it is very good and reasonably priced. Just be forewarned that the basket of breads and muffins that they bring to your table are not included in the price of your breakfast so don't touch them unless you want to pay for them.

Room Tip: If you want a room with more space and light request a room with two beds. The quieter rooms are on...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night and were very satisfied with our experience. The location is very good, staff is friendly, place is spotless and the courtyard is beautiful. Disappointed that Wi-Fi did not work in our room.

Room Tip: Wi-Fi did not work in our room. So would check the signal on future visits.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ving98
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Hidalgo was the first hotel built in Queretaro and at one time housed soldiers and the famed Santa Ana. The history and location make this a must stay for at least two nights. On the weekend ghost tours come through retelling the history of the city and the central role that this hotel held. It is a short walk to the best places to visit in the historic district. The architecture of the building is beautiful.
The comfort level of the Hidalgo is lacking for a long stay. The rooms are clean but the plumbing is old and the beds and pillows are like rocks. The bells from the Catholic Church ring all through the night. Ear plugs are a must.

Room Tip: Make sure to look at the room when you arrive to insure you have the air flow you desire. They trie...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PastorAmy
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here overnight and was well pleased. Great central location, beautiful historical colonial building. Very simple, decent restaurant. Only the street facing rooms have exterior windows, all other rooms open onto the courtyard. Some may find the street rooms too noisy, but I prefer it. A solid budget choice.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank susanmex
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was an unexpected deception. This hotel is ranked 23 of 67 hotels. I expected a lot more. First, let me say this. Location is great. Now let’s see the other aspects. I was lucky, I think, since my room was in the back of the hotel. Of course, this means I had a window on the corridor which shouldn’t be a problem unless you object to being awakened at 6 o’clock in the morning by people leaving and pulling their luggage on the tiled floor, thereby waking you up.
I hope I had the worse room in the hotel. If I didn’t, this place should be closed down. This of course upset me since I had reserved in late may for a july stay ie 2 months ahead.
I realize I should have asked for another room, but, arriving late, I was tired and only wanted to rest awhile. The reason I arrived late is that this hotels puts it’s address as Madero No. 11 Colonia, Centro Historico. But the street name is actually Francisco I. Madero so that my GPS could not find it and I had to pay a taxi driver to guide me to my hotel.
Some of the aspects I objected to are:
-A washbasin having no room to put your things on. You had to put them on the floor.
-When asking for glasses, being told the hotel did not supply them.
-Breakfast one day with bread supplied, the next without.
-Having a fan whose speed cannot be controlled thus supplying the noise required to drown out other noises.
-Having a towel ripped in one of it’s corners.

But, again, the location is great and the staff was nice.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify where your room is located and what amenities are supplied.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is an excellent choice if you are looking for value and location. Lovely old colonial building. The restaurant serves good food at very good prices. My bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. The staff behind the reception desk are very, very helpful and speak some English.

Only caveat is to be sure and check out a few rooms if you can before settling in. Mine did not have a window to the outside and the window I did have was in the shower. Noise can also be a problem, but I thought I saw some rooms that may have more privacy and not suffer from the noise of the courtyard restaurant.

Overall, it's good value and good location.

Room Tip: I would guess that the rooms at the back of the hotel might be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo