“Exceeded Very High Expectations”

La Casa de la Marquesa
Ranked #58 of 94 Hotels in Queretaro City
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I've certainly read the guide books and walked into the atrium of La Marquesa so I expected a very high end hotel. What I hadn't expected is that for the quality, it could be very reasonable. Actually not as reasonable as I 1st thought as it turns out that they have a 2nd building where we wanted the main building but still a lot better than I thought.
We stayed in a front room where entry was with a key straight out of colonial times but a great room and very comfortable. Our friends stayed in a side room with a private courtyard which they thought was great.
We had never eaten at the hotel so we tried comida and again I was pleasantly surprised by both the prices and quality.
All in all, we had a great stay!

Room Tip: We looked at a number of rooms and all have quite a history. We like the two front rooms on either s...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Great place. Clean, nice historic and friendly. This is one of the most beautiful hotels I have stayed at anywhere and I travel a lot with over 1MM miles on United. Queretaro is a great place to visit and safe.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We booked this hotel online and upon arrival found that we were located in an adjacent building. As it turned out we were the only people in this building, a bit eerie. The main entry doors were locked at night and I am not sure if there was security in this building. Our car was to be parked by valet parking, but it was left in front of the hotel on the street. Was anyone watching it....I don't know! I complained about the car on the street and I was not charged for valet parking. The air conditioner in the first room was noisy and kept us awake, I complained and the front desk moved us to another room, not a problem as the place was empty, save for us.
The staff were friendly and responsive enough, but then we didn't see any of them except the doorman and the reception people. We never did set foot inside the real Casa de Marquesa. Our trip lasted 5 more days and all the other hotels were recommendable, were newer, were secure, and were less than half the price and were booked on site.

Room Tip: Take careful note when you book online. The cheap rooms cost us $150US per night and were not the qu...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

We deeply regret we did not fulfill your expectations:
We clearly distinguish in our web page both La Casa de La Marquesa and La Casa Azul, this is where our guest booked.
Security at both houses is in full and our guests have always felt it, we regret you did not feel that way.
Cars are parked in the street and later taken to a contracted parking lot over night.
The hotel (both houses) are renovated to the latest standards within the allowed parameters due to the fact that there are restrictions (elevators impossible to install) to name one.
We welcome you to visit us once again, we expect to satisfy your expectations.
Best from Queretaro,

Reviewed June 1, 2012

It´s location is great, you can walk around to several sights and most nice restaurants. The rooms are elegant and the decor is set to make you feel as if you are staying in an old 19th century Spanish Mansion. The restaurant is also nice however I only used it for breakfast and went out for dinner. Great hotel for a romantic getaway, the rooms in the main building are more expensive but nicer, and safer.

Room Tip: Each room is different so call the hotel directly to book your room and ask to be in the main buildi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This was a fantastic hotel, and we were so glad we chose it. I travelled with my brother, my husband and my mom, and we all loved La Casa de la Marquesa. We stayed 4 nights in May 2012. It was extremely well located near the plazas, churches and restaurants. The food at Casa de la Marquesa's restaurant was great and I highly recommend the chilaquiles verdes! We stayed in the Casa Azul, which is around the corner from the main building. It was still very close and convenient to the main desk and the restaurant. I liked the courtyard at the Casa Azul and spent hours reading there as well as in the main building's lobby. Our rooms were beautiful and clean with great amenities. The staff was also very nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2012

This hotel is a true jewel. The location is simply perfect, in the historical centre of Queretaro and close to the delightful squares and churches. Rooms are gigantic in the Casa de la Marquesa building (did not explore the adjacent Casa Azul, so make sure to request the main building), with very big beds too. And the decor is quite charming, totally matching the baroque building. It just builds on the magic of the place.
Service was amazing, with reception and help staff wonderfully pleasant. Breakfast was also a charming experience, with abundant food served a-la-carte and very good quality waiters.
All in all, an amazing stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Spanishwanderer
Reviewed March 8, 2012

In the middle of January, our extended family stayed at La Casa de le Marquesa for three days and we all found it a wonderful experience. We'd come from Australia to Mexico for the wedding of our eldest son and his fiancee. They were married in Queretaro and the reception was held at La Casa de le Marquesa.

They urged us to stay at La Casa and when we saw the photos and heard their first hand reports we booked for all of the family.

Then I discovered tripadvisor (it was my first O/S trip), I thought I'd read some reviews, and, to my dismay, they were often quite negative. However, the bookings were already made and it was very convenient for all of us to be staying where the reception was to be held.

I had nothing to worry about. Eleven of us (including our 18 month old grand daughter) arrived with all of our luggage and we were made to feel totally welcome. As the rooms were still being cleaned, they stowed our luggage and directed us to where we could find some good cafes/restaurants. When we arrived back they were happy to show us the rooms that had been booked so that we could make decisions about who would stay in which room. It was all a little disorganised on our part, but nothing was too much trouble and all the luggage was taken to the chosen rooms.

I would say that La Casa will probably be the most beautiful hotel I will ever stay in and the staff made our stay memorable in all the right ways. Max, the manager while we were there, was the only member of staff who spoke much English (he was I think American) but he organised anything we needed wonderfully and the language barrier was never a problem.

We had breakfast at the hotel (which is also open to the public), there were many options and everything that we tried on the menu was delicious. It was so good that my brother's family came from their hotel to eat breakfast with us.

Though this was the grandest and most expensive place that we stayed at on our trip to Mexico, it had all of the friendliness and warmth that we experienced everywhere. It was so friendly that it was where our granddaughter said her first Spanish word. She replied Hola to one of the maids who greeted her.

It didn't have all the modern amenities, but when we asked for an iron and ironing board to iron our crushed clothes for the wedding, they brought us two so that it would be easier. I've stayed in many places with clocks, bar fridges and coffee makers but I'd never before stayed in a hotel with a grand paved lobby, sweeping staircases, a private chapel and huge wonderfully furnished bedrooms. It was delightful.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family