“Great Amazing Place”

Ranked #44 of 93 Hotels in Queretaro City
Naperville, Illinois
“Great Amazing Place”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is a gorgeous Spanish house. The food was very good. The rooms were gorgeous. Be prepared to walk a few flights of steep stairs to get to the room. The staff didn't really speak English, so bring your quick phrase book. Despite the language barrier, the staff went out of their way to help us. We were looking for a tour and a few minutes later we had tons of options. They were able to get us connected to a local bilingual individual. He was very knowledgeable and it helped make our stay. It does get VERY warm, so be prepared. The air conditioning froze up on us a little bit, so just know that going into your stay. It is best to turn it off when you leave so its doesn't freeze.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Korean first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Sleeping at La Casa de la Marquesa it's an experience, as the hotel is a typical Spanish house dating back few centuries ago. The whole complex is absolutely peculiar, each room is different from the others and furniture is in line with the ambience.
I was travelling for business and was not 100% what I needed, probably it's better for tourism. On good side: position (in the center of old Queretaro, which is Unesco heritage), service and rooms dimension. On the other side, the architecture could be a little bit oppressing, doors of the rooms are old and stylish, but do not help security for sure, rooms on the street may be noisy. Internet connection was in any case OK.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Rock hard bed in the main building. This was after I had checked out the rooms in the adjacant buildings,- there the springs were almost sticking out of the mattresses. I checked 3 rooms before finding a bed that was marginally suitable. The room had no addtitional amenities, no coffee maker, no clock, no iron. Plus, the phone could not dial the front desk. They seemed indifferent to room service, (morning coffee never arrived), and weren't overly concerned about opening the dining room on time in the morning. On my first morning they woke me up an hour earlier than my requested wake up call, without apology. The room however, was gorgeous.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank donakempak
Mexico
Reviewed January 5, 2011

In a previous visit to Queretaro we entered the hotel lobby and really enjoy the place, so we picked Casa de la Marquesa for our holidays stay.

When we arrived, the staff did not help us at all with our belongings .After checking in, we had to carry our stuff to our room which was in a lonely and dark area of the hotel, I thought this was going to be ok because of the privacy and did not give too much importance. The room wasn't that beautiful as the rest of the hotel, seems that the area was built in order to accommodate more guests in the main building (there is another building across the street). In order to get to the area,you need to climb a spiral stair (which i guess for a senior adult would be unacceptable ).

We went for a walk , and me being a sound engineer , my girlfriend gave me a professional handheld recorder for christmas, so I decided to take it for capturing sound throughout the evening.

We returned to the hotel and got ready to have dinner with my girlfriends parents in the hotel restaurant. Before going to the restaurant I was checking my recordings and then I just leave the recorder over the bed. The hotel does not have in room safes, but thinking that i wasn't going to leave the property, I didn't took it with me.

1 1/2 hours later we returned to the room after dinner and the recorder was gone, couldn't believe it.

It is worth mentioning that the room access is with a traditional key and not with coded key cards which makes the access easier or more vulnerable.

Talking to the staff , we realized how terrible the hotel really is, first the service , it is nonexistent. They do not want to help and put your words in doubt.I do not know if the real problem is that they don´t like their job or they are trained to be a complete bunch of idiots.

Secondly the security. No guards , no surveillance cameras in the room hallways, and with the excuse of the hotel for being a world heritage site, they let in every single person that wants to visit the place without any restriction.

In order to complete the hotel's request ,we had to spend the whole night testifying in a horrible local police office and finished by 4 a.m. of the next day.

The hotel manager named Edith Granados appeared in the morning and she just said that the hotel wasn't going to be responsible for the items.There was an insurance company that was going to take care of that. I did not sign any contract with an insurance company, so the hotel is the one who's got the responsibility in this case and they have to pay for the items.

Almost two weeks have passed, I do not have my money back and the hotel manager does not answer neither my e-mails nor my phone calls. She claims that she does not have the sufficient authority to solve this problem, so I told her I wanted to talk to the owners. There has been no positive response at all.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank j_camino
Scotland
Reviewed October 9, 2010

I recently stayed here for 2 nights. I was in the accommodation across the street. The main building is stunning in character and the rooms are comfortable, with nice linen.

The service is terrible. After my first night I popped back to my room and the maids were cleaning, to say they were miserable is an understatement. On my 2nd day I decided to opt for the buffet breakfast. It was a mistake. I was the first person there are 8.30 a.m. and only half the hot food was available. I waited for the remainder before I decided. The Manager asked me if there was something specific wanted and asked if pancakes were on the menu, as it was displayed in a large photo outside. He told me that would be additional charge. At that point I had drank 1 cup of black coffee, 1 glass of juice and the smallest bread roll. I hadn't actually eaten anything from the buffet and he was going to charge me the buffet and the pancakes. On checking out the lady on reception repeatedly answered the telephone so I was there 10 minutes waiting. For a hotel that promotes itself as a quality hotel it lacks on customer service. When I informed her my shower had not been working she showed no interest or desire to sort the matter out for future guests. If you visit go any enjoy the building, ask for a room in the main building and eat out elsewhere, there are plenty of better service restaurants in the area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank airmilesali
Mexico City
Reviewed October 5, 2010

had a reservation with a promotion, because of the deal we got they completely ignored the reservation and denied us hospitality. After talking to the manager "Edith Granados" she also made up excuses and eventhough we had our 4 month old baby with us they were not willing to accomodate us... terrible customer service

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank rtkin
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed August 31, 2010

The hotel is in a beautiful historical building just one block away from the main square of the city. Reading previous reviews I was a bit concerned, however during our stay we had no problems at all. We got a "Royal" room (therefore in the main building) that was very spacious with an antique feeling and really comfortable. At night we had no problem with outside noise, probably because we were on a third floor and not facing the street.
The restaurant is good if maybe a bit expensive considering other options nearby, however they have very good breakfast dishes, service is a bit slow but it is worth the wait.
Be aware that the building itself is a mandatory spot on most walking tours of the city, so there is always a bit of movement on the main hall, but it doesn't affect the rooms. A recurring nuisance is being asked by hotel staff whether you are a guest when on the way to your room since apparently there is people that go beyond the open to the public area. The main hall is used for wedding banquets too, so you may have to explain that you are going to your room (or outside!) when crossing the lobby. The A/C is old and not very strong but we solved that by opening the windows; service in general is just OK.
All in all I would strongly recommend it given its fantastic location, its authentic Mexican colonial feeling and a fair price and service. It is definitely worth it if you are spending a weekend on Querétaro.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple