“An exceptional outcrop of rock”
Review of La Pena de Bernal

La Pena de Bernal
Book In Advance
More Info
$70.00*
and up
La Peña de Bernal Rock Climbing and Abseiling Adventure
Reviewed March 26, 2014

A great and interesting surprise close to the colonial city of Queretaro with in ease reach of local wines.

1  Thank Paul R
Write a ReviewReviews (2,043)

Reviewed March 19, 2014

It was a chilly day but with the exercise of climbing up got warm! It is worth the while and effort to go up there. Bring your water since you won't find any up there... only some ice-Popsicle and snacks that will get you more thirsty.

The "harder" part is going down! Not so much going up. The view is really cool. You have to try the ice-cream they sell in the bottom of the peña before you get to the "vendors" area. Obviously, bring your hiking shoes and make sure you break them in before the climbing!!

1  Thank JulioMadrid82
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Hiked up the mountain with a work colleague from Mexico. At the end of 2013 I worked several weeks in Queretaro – long hours and not much was going right. However on the off Saturday my friend took me to this attraction. The walk up is not for the faint of heart - I’m in decent shape but would call this a difficult hike. Several places along the way where if you fell it would be all over very fast. After we had dinner in the town. Should add we didn’t do the guided mountain climb to the top with gear / ropes – just the walking part. However we did go as far as you could which required some places on your hands and knees – last ¼ mile is very difficult. Make sure you bring water and guard shack at the bottom requires you sign in / out. Believe you must start up the mountain before 6 pm . Run by what would be equivalent of a parks service in the USA. They ask for a donation but don’t think it’s a requirement. Likely over 40 if you get my title.

2  Thank tony r
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is a easy pena to climb. We are 60+ and made it almost to the top. It has jagged rock exposed so make sure you wear decent hiking boots. Great views of the area. We took a bus from the station in Queretaro. I had trouble finding the departure times, took a chance, arrived at station 9:30, and did get a 10ish am bus, 40P about 1 hr. There is quite a approach to the trailhead, where you sign in, with little huts selling souvenirs (most closed this day) But there was this tiny booth that sold yummy ice cream in homemade wafers. I know it was homemade because the smell was too enticing! Barnel, itself was a disappointment. Maybe on a weekend, but on a weekday the town was dead. Many shops had closed and as a pueblo magico, this town did not have much magic on this day! ie, except for the ice cream cups as a treat for a great climb!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Amazing views and well worth the climb! Amazing chili powdered fruit on the way down after hike. Bring plenty of water. A couple approach us to rock climb and rapel down, it was 3 hours and $40 US. We decided not to go because we did not have time. After climibing Bernal I was glad I did not rock climb. Very scary! Wear hiking shoes/sandals.

1  Thank ChickpeaDee1