“Can't get a hold of anyone”

Cooking Classes with Laura
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We tried for several days to get in for a cooking class. The phone lines are always busy and they take days to email you back. When we were told the one day we couldn't get in, we asked if they were doing classes the next day and no response.

Too bad, because it does sound like an awesome experience.

1  Thank Shanna P
There are newer reviews for Cooking Classes with Laura

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I had the fortunate experience of being co-located with Laura's cooking school. While I was studying Spanish at QLS, the students were cooking. Every day at noon we would get to try the food of the day! OMG what tastes! Lots of flavored, beautifully presented, and authentic descriptions in both English and Spanish. Everyday the cooking student would describe how they bought the food at the market and prepared it. I'm a vegetarian and there was always something for me to eat. Only problem was eating too much and gaining weight! :) but there was a nice gym around the corner that I visited often to keep up. And walking around the Querétaro was a joy.

1  Thank CindyF243
Reviewed June 9, 2012

My son and I spent the third week of May in Queretaro at Laura's cooking and language school. For five days, starting a 9am w a trip to the local market the days supplies, we cooked our way thru all our favorite dishes including tamale, sopes, gorditas, fresh salsas, agua frescas, mole, enchaladas, chilaquiles, empanadas, etc. We learned wonderful techniques in a casual supportive environment and got to eat our spoils w the rest of the language school at lunch. Then off to the gym for a workout and back for 2 hours of spanish lesson. Long and wonderful days.
Queretaro is a lovely, very safe 400 year colonial city of a million proud inhabitants. There is accomdation to fit every budget from inexpensive and nice to 5 star luxury. There are great restaurants, a fabulous theatre and symphony when in season, and a famous bull ring. Day trips to outlying attractions such as San Miguel de Allende make a week stay a must. we followed our stay w a short drive into Mexico City for the weekend which was also lovely.
I would rate Laura's cooking and school a 5 out of 5 and her language school as well. This a great destination for anyone w daily flts from Houston, and inexpensive hotels and restaurants. It's lovely to be in Mexico but out of the tourist areas of Cancun, PV and Baja. sign up and tell her Bill and Sam sent you!

2  Thank bill f
Reviewed July 9, 2010

My boyfriend and I took this class, and it was exactly what I was looking for: small class (only three of us), hands on learning (we did all the cooking!), and the recipies Laura taught us were taught to her my her great grandmother. She tailors the recipies to what the students are interested in learning, and you get to learn about Mexican culture AND a bit of language class thrown in (it is part of a language school). Informal and excellent. Highly recommented.

1  Thank Stellablue74
Reviewed February 10, 2009

We spent a few weeks in Mexico between DF, Yucatan and Queretaro. The most fun was Laura's course in Queretaro, which includes market visits and cooking this extraordinary local cuisine of Mexico.

The course can be tailor-made and we chose to do Mexican Dinners, Mexican Fiestas and Mexican Lunch. Each day we would learn food and drinks such as margaritas.

Don't miss it in Queretaro and the cooking classes are done in the great surroundings of the Queretaro Language School, so if you have time for some spanish classes, that would be a great oppotunity too!

2  Thank Brazuca00