TripAdvisor
Queretaro City
Post
Inbox
Search

“Fellow travelers beware! Scam in place by employees.”
Review of San Miguelito

San Miguelito
Ranked #33 of 1,256 Restaurants in Queretaro City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: I have pics.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I travel often for business and find myself in QRO several times a year. My wife, who is a Mexicana from Guadalajara, joined me for this trip and suggested we try San Miguelito "for something different." Different indeed! Give me El Meson Chucho el Roto anytime.

Although our meal was actually very good, the waiter, cashier and Captain (his name is David) perpetrated a shameful scam that left us angry and bewildered that they would jeopardize their jobs for what is ostensibly a small amount of money, at first thought, but then we realized that they may be perpetrating this scam against several diners, travelers and unsuspecting people night after night.

The story: we asked for the bill and told the waiter to add a 10% tip (116.80 to be exact). He brought the credit card machine to the table and went through the motions without any suspicion (read: he was very smooth, as with most thieves). My wife, who often asks me for the itemized bill and credit card invoice due to this very situation, immediately noticed the tip amount was NOT 10% (I've attached a picture of the redacted AMEX copy) but over 15% (15.41% in fact--an odd tip percentage by anyone's arithmetic). Again note, not exactly 15%, which should draw suspicion from any pessimistic reader of this review ("come on man, it's only a few extra pesos. Be kind to our Mexican neighbors! He probably made a mistake) but over by an unequal percentage and in fact equaling 53.85% more than we commanded. The credit card machine does not lie.

My wife immediately called over the waiter who said "AMEX charges an extra fee. I should have told you. I will give the difference back to you in cash/pesos." The simple deduction of this response was clearly inappropriate behavior. One simply does not give back cash in a credit card transaction mistake. The transaction is deleted and another is inputted to capture the correct amount. He was caught red-handed. To further exasperate the situation, he stated that we were owed approx 62 pesos and would bring this to us. He brought the AMEX billfold back and lo and behold, it was only 20 pesos! You cannot make this stuff up. My wife stated the obvious that it was not 62 pesos, and the waiter went back to the cashier (we noticed them laughing with David, the Captain which further angered me) and returned with 40 pesos--I am not kidding--not the 62.

As we exited, we approached the Captain (David) and he apologized profusely stating that there was simply a misunderstanding and returned the rightful, correct amount of 62 pesos. We then left the restaurant and positioned ourselves across the street, out of view, and watched the Captain approach the waiter and cashier and fist bump each other! Did I say you cannot make this stuff up?!

Needless to say, I hope the ownership reads this review and takes action. This is the very reason Mexico possesses a poor reputation for furtive, disingenuous and otherwise petty behavior which unfortunately, is not the case in the majority.

Be cognizant each and every time whether you actually choose to go to San Miguelito--I recommend you avoid it until the ownership makes a clear statement that they have indeed addressed this situation--or any other restaurant in Mexico for that matter. Completely shameful and unacceptable.

**Just for those Mexico apologists that say no big deal that they steal **only** $3.44 from everyone, just consider 30 - 50 diners each night, seven nights per week, they perpetrate this scam against. It then becomes less a petty crime and more a misdemeanor. Lastly, I'm confident the ownership did not, nor does not, condone this criminal cottage industry revenue stream under their nose either.

Date of visit: October 2019
Write a reviewReviews (527)

Reviewed October 5, 2019 via mobile

This restaurant with its colourful decor is in the perfect location when walking around the historic centre. We had guacamole made at our table and washed it down with a selection of local beers.

Our waiter could not have been more helpful. I ate chicken cooked in nuts with a fruity sauce and my wife had chicken stuffed with plantain in a mole sauce. Both were excellent and well presented. We arrived after midnight and there was no rush to leave. Will go again.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed September 7, 2019

Excellent food and 28 types of margaritas! Need I say more? Its a cozy restaurant with colourful murals, a fresh, interesting menu including delicious desserts! Friendly and helpful staff as well. A must visit!

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed August 25, 2019

Exceptional service and most original drinks and appetizers, the choice of Margaritas and Mezcales are top. Fresh tortillas, delicious sauces, but NOT the nogada of the chile! They make it with condensed milk!!! My advice=always ask to taste the nogada before you order the dish. Food is abundant and carefully presented in this beautiful setting.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 6, 2019

Very Traditional place with regional dishes, taste is good, environment is cozy and typical mexican restaurant. Food quality is great and the margaritas are quite amazing! I go there everytime I visit Queretaro and I recommend you to do so.

Date of visit: August 2019