“Taste of Colonial Mexico”

Antiguo Meson de Aspeytia
Ranked #38 of 94 Hotels in Queretaro City
Toronto
“Taste of Colonial Mexico”
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I stayed here for four nights on a business trip to Queretaro. I prefer to stay in the center of cities so I can walk and see the sights within a few minutes of the hotel. This hotel is perfect and is located in the central colonial part of the city. Minutes to many restaurants and surrounded by the original colonial architecture. I found the room spotless, and the staff very helpful in directing me through the area. My room had a good table to work at and the wireless functioned well allowing me to work when I needed to. The staff in the mornings went out of their way to make the breakfast I wanted along with my much needed coffee. Overall I would recomend the location and hotel and will definitely return there upon my future trips.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank PrecisionOne
Ruben_8, Gerente at Antiguo Meson de Aspeytia, responded to this review, May 21, 2016

Greetings and good day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I hate to disagree with the previous comments, but my experience with this hotel was of a completely different nature. The entire staff was not only polite and amicable, but above and beyond, going out of their way to please me as a customer. The furnishing and decor was marvellously accomplished, giving me a beautiful and comfortable room to stay in. I had no issues what so ever with my internet or phone connection and I was able to communicate with my colleagues from work everyday. The food was delicious, typical mexican food. And the best of all was the price! It was definitely worth every penny and more!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

Oregon
Reviewed January 14, 2009

We trust tripadviser and although this hotel was very low rated numerically for the city we thought we could try this hotel. We had a three night reservation for a junior shuite with a balcony facing outside. When we arrived we were told the room had a problem but they were putting us in another room. Basically no windows other than an elevated porthole and a bathroom with a porthole into an interior stairwell. It felt like a white cave. The following morning we found out that they just hadn't cleaned the suite that we had reserved. Staff was courteous and the breakfast lady was hospitable.
The location is A+.
We left after one night.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family

Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 7, 2008

The hotel was 11 months old when I stayed there - a boutique hotel with less than 20 rooms in a refurbished mansion, in Queretaro's fascinating historic center. It was comfortable - decorated well and interesting. Staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Its atmosphere - historic building, yet refurbished in a simple, fashionable modern style
  • Disliked — It was a little drafty on a chilly night
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sasTexasTravel

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Be aware if you contact the hotel by e mail, they might not respond right away or at all. I had to finally call from my hotel in Puebla to confirm my reservation. Costing me $ for the national call. Also had to call 3 different times, as they did not pick up the phone the first 2 times.

I liked the hotel upon arriving. Small, intimate, and super nice staff.

Unfortunately, the great room I had on the 2nd level, with a double window opening to the quiet street below, the wonderful light, and perfect WIFI, had to be changed. The cable was not working and frankly, if a room isn't 100% why stay there? I got offered a room downstairs that was larger, but felt like a cave. Was dark, cold, and depressing., with so-so WIFI no open window and terrible light. Next to the kitchen so you could hear everything going on. I did not really get an upgrade. If I would have not have to switch I might have liked this hotel more. The location is nice and again so is the staff. But the room they give you makes all the difference. I got screwed.

Breakfast is brought to you. Not buffet or open style. Was not bad at all. Some fruit, croissant, coffee or tea. They do not offer room service or anything else. But there are many places to eat around the hotel.

The rooms are large and comfortable. If you get the right room. And a room that is 100% functioning. I was looking for tissues. Found it strange to see none. Every hotel has them. They offer a package of tissue at the mini bar for $1.50 US. I find that tacky and petty.

Because of my experience, I would try another hotel. This place seems hit and miss. The miss is not worth staying here. Having walked around, the Marquesa looks like a better option. La Quinta maybe not. Someone else might have a better experience here. I just came at the wrong time and it made my time in lovely Queretaro not as good as it could have been.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Disliked — The room I was stuck in.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ruben_8, Gerente at Antiguo Meson de Aspeytia, responded to this review, May 19, 2016

We appreciate your comment that makes us correct details that are not right and continue what we are doing well . I very much regret what happened and I hope that in a future visit staying with us to treat it deserves and clear that bad experience.