“Stay Away! Stay FAR Away!”

Econo Lodge Hornell
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hornell
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I made the mistake of staying here on two occasions... And you know the old saying, "blank me once, shame on you, blank me twice, shame on me?" yeah... Shame on me.

The first time I stayed here was in winter and the room thermostat had been shut off for apparently the entire season. It was set at 50 degrees, and unfortunately, they use electric baseboard heaters which no kidding took 4 hours and 15 minutes for the temperature to creep up to about 68 degrees or so.

The second time I stayed here was about a month later and opted for the townhouse (it was only $90) separate bedroom, and living room, fridge, microwave, semi-furnished kitchen, etc... Wow. It was gross.

The microwave when I opened it was black with mold. Not a "little bit" either (and not that that would have been okay either but still, There was a ton of mold in that thing)

When I turned on the bathwster, it actually came out brown for a few seconds and smelled like sewage.

Them, when I flushed the toilet, blue syrup came up. That was the proof that thus room had not been used or cleaned in at least a month.

Smelled terrible, and clerk was too busy "doing her taxes" to give a hoot.

Stay at Comfort Inn nearby if in the area-- let this Econo Lodge rot on it's own. Gross.

1  Thank Nquizitiv1
econo l, Manager at Econo Lodge Hornell, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

thank you for your review. recently when accepting my new position as manager, we began renovating our property. our townhouses have been stripped, cleaned and painted! they are now beautiful. i also require all staff to check all rooms that are reserved that day.....2xs. once housekeeping looks, second the desk clerk ending shift also checks. then i personally recheck. in doing so all heat is turned up and we know our promise to our guest of a clean warm room upon arrival will stand true. i am so sorry of your past experience, but it would be wonderful if you would allow me to show you a different side to our hotel! thanks

Reviewed December 30, 2009

I stayed at Econo Lodge in Hornell for 3 nights and I will stay there again when in the area . The heat and hot water were great , the room was clean comfortable and cozy .
The free breakfast was good and the staff very nice and friendly .

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hank95
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Travelled with three collagues in three seperate rooms, stayed two nights. Motel needs major updates, rooms are used up and worn out. All three of us experienced cold showers and when questioning the front desk received no offer of assistance or relocation. No alarm clocks in atleast two rooms. No internet in my room as advertised. When I questioned the front desk I was told "You probably don't get the internet in your room (location).Bugs crawling on bathroom floor. Ruperts is closed and up for rent .I will most likely e in Hornell multiple times over the next three years... I will not be returning to the Econolodge.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank travellerfrommd051
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I picked this hotel after reading a couple of reviews about "Rupert's Restaurant" which according to the Econo Lodge's homepage was located on the premises. Well after 4 hours of travel I was told they were closed. So finding food turned into a tougher thing than being able to walk across the parking lot - in other words PITA. Walked into the room on a 85 degree humid day to the room being set on heat and at 85 which made it smell a bit funny. All in all though - hotel was clean, bed fairly comfortable. Ice machine a trudge back to the office with the somewhat friendly desk clerk. Alarm clock needed to be moved as it was across the room and not next to the bed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I took my daughter to visit Alfred Univesity. I read some of the other reviews of this hotel & figured why not save some $$ - all we need is a place to sleep for the night. I don't know where the positive reviewers stayed but it was not at this place. I could overlook the 70's decor, some peeling wallpaper and damaged walls. BUT - I can not overlook basic cleanliness. I booked a non-smoking room, the room smelled like an ashtray. The carpet was filthy and the bathroom had a serious mold/mildew problem. I would have left & checked into another hotel (something I have never done) but it was 11:30pm and I had no idea where else to stay. From now on I'm going to make sure to bring back-up hotels with me when I travel in an unfamiliar area. Please do not stay here!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank lisacdm
Reviewed August 12, 2008

We thought the Econo Lodge was a great place to stay, and we both agreed we'd have been happy to stay a few days longer if we could. The price was great, and the area was nice and green and quiet. We were in a separate building down in front of the main building and next to the restaurant (which was also separate).

The room was a good size with a little refrigerator and microwave, which would have been handy if we'd stayed longer. There were two double beds as well as a table and chairs and TV. The bathroom was small but nice, although the sink was outside the room (which can have its advantages with two people). The coffee pot was not washed out, though, which was disappointing and not impressive. Otherwise, the room seemed clean.

The free continental breakfast was appreciated, with a good selection including toast, english muffins, bagels, and cereal. There was also a waffle maker and batter for making your own waffles, which unfortunately we didn't have time or enough appetite to try - but they looked really good. There's not a lot of tables there, but it was enough when we were there.

Will likely stay there again if we get back that way.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed June 17, 2008

If I could give the hotel a negative raiting I would. This was absolutely horrible. When I checked in, there were HOLES punched into tbe bathroom door. When I went to hang up the towel bar, it FELL OFF THE WALL. Not to mention, when I turned on the Air Conditioner, it was dripping INTO the room! It was absolutely the worst experience I've ever had at a motel or hotel. I had to pay almost 90 bucks for that room, so I expected it to be decent. It was awful. Trust me, their corporate HQ heard from me on this one.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Lovez2Travel1980
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hornell
17 mi away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bath
Best Western Maple City Inn
Days Inn Hornell NY
Days Inn Hornell NY
#3 of 4 in Hornell

Been to Econo Lodge Hornell? Share your experiences!