“Comfortable & easygoing time!”
Review of Kiambi Safaris

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lower Zambezi National Park
Kiambi Safaris
“Comfortable & easygoing time!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I just spent the weekend at Kiambi and this was my third stay at the lodge. I would like to commend Janine and Jimmy for their considerate service!
I have never had any issues when staying at the lodge- twice in the tented chalets and just recently in the executive room.
On all three occassions the rooms were clean which is really a bonus when you've been to lodges that don't take as much pride in their cleanliness as they do at Kiambi. In the executive air con room we also had the full Dstv bouquet which was an added bonus to help occupy a 3yr old!
Admittedly my steak was a little too rare for me one evening, but that is just a preference and can be rectified by requesting it to be put back on the fire. And one night out of all the times I have been there my shower was cold. However I understand it is the "bush" and these are things to expect when coming to Africa. This however has never happened again. The bonus of being in Africa and staying at a lodge such as Kiambi is the all the elephants and other wildlife we got to see when on boat ride safari!
Most importantly for me was the immediate, diplomatic and pleasant response from both Janine and Jimmy when I had to lodge a compliant against a very child un friendly and rude client. They were attentive and considerate as well as objective when addressing the matter.
Aside from that the lodge is clean with a spectacular view and the staff are friendly and ready to assist if needed.
Will definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had a short but very enjoyable stay at Kiambi. It is situated on a beautiful bend in the river and had a relaxing vibe with incredible sunsets. The boat rides are great and the evening cruises are memorable with elephants walking by and hippo sightings. This staff were friendly and helpful. I didn't choose to stay in a luxury chalet but they offer a wide range of options depending on your needs. While not super fancy, I found it clean and comfortable, with all the amenities I needed to enjoy my stay. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed 5 nights at Kiambi Safari lodge from 02 June 2013 until 07 June 2013 and regret ever going there. We had a terrible experience. First on being collected at Lusaka airport, the driver was obviously having to rush, (dangerously so), to try to get to the Kafue pontoon before it closed at 18:00hrs. We never made the pontoon, so arrived in darkness by boat onto a jetty which was neither lit nor easy to walk up in the dark. The "luxury tent" we were intially given, was not very clean and the tent itself was stained and had some rips in the fabric by the door. The doors have no locks, so you are unsure if you will still have all your possessions by the end of the trip. The first tent was located closest to the bar area, and we had disturbed sleep due to the sound of the drinks cooler cabinet working all night. We asked to move and the next tent was little better. We had to ask for a mosquito net, which when supplied had holes that we had to tape up with elastoplast. The floors of the tents were never washed and you could feel the grit on the floor. Lunch and dinner were what they had prepared for you and if you did not like it, you had no further choice as this was all there was. The staff, whilst pleasant, were pretty clueless and at breakfast we had to remind the one guy serving what we wanted and on more than one occasion he had forgotten some cutlery. The first two evening meals were reasonable, but nothing more than that and on the third night we had to complain as the potatoes were hard and totally undercooked. This was met with no word of an apology, but just blank looks and a silent taking away of the plate. The following morning, my wife asked for hard-boiled eggs and these arrived totally runny and again undercooked. That lunch, after having complained to the manager about the level of service, they prepared a steak for us both, which was again a bit on the raw side, (we had asked for medium to well-done). In the night both my wife and I came down with diarrhoea and sickness and to make matters worse, we had only been given one toilet roll, so I ended up going out in the dead of night to obtain more toliet roll from the communal toliets, (the locks on some of the toliet doors do not work). We asked to move into a chalet, (which they agreed to) and whilst an improvement on the tent situation, was again not particulary clean. The foor in particular was very dirty, or at least had not been washed in some time. The shower almost burned you as it was either far too hot or cold. The showers in the tents were both feeble and would gradually give up after a few mintues requiring much coaxing to get some water.
Clearly, this place is simply not up to standard and certainly does not warrant the title "luxury". The place appears to be barely hanging on as for the first night were were there, we were the only guests staying. Much of the lodge seems well past it's best and nobody seems to notice things like bottle tops and the odd bottle left around. One piece of litter by the pool was never picked up in the whole time we were there. The staff, (again whilst trying to put on a brave face and who were by and large friendly), seem pretty demoralised and on one accasion, when I went to the bar to order a drink, I had to wake up the bar-man who was fast asleep, (which I felt guilty about).
To sum up, the lodge is, (in my opinion), badly run and poorly maintained. It is also not well sighted in so much as you can clearly hear vehicles, (mainly trucks), in the distance, presumably on their way to Chirundu. Also dogs barking and cockrels crowing make for a less then relaxing experience. We left Kiambi wishing we had never stayed there and it spolied our holiday. Never again !!!
Who are those people who have reviewed this place awesome? If this is your second home vampire 69, then i pity you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mark P
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We've been three times in Kiambi, one time camping, one time self catering and the last time the luxury tented chalet. All of the times we had a great time. The view is stunning, the staff and host is very friendly and cooperative and at our thirth time they did us a wonderful favor by upgrading our accomodation for the same price. We would really recommend the sunset cruise, you get the most fantastic views and it's so quiet and amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lusaka
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I just came back from Kiambi and what a fantastic time we all had. The service is great, very friendly and helpful staff, rooms are cozy and clean and the food is tantalizing!
A lodge that will do whatever they can to suit your needs and make you have a comfortable and joyful holiday. Thank you Janine and rest of staff for all, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thurles
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have been to Kiambi three times now, twice on my own.I love it here!! As a fishing lodge, i dont think you could get better, as i have caught many big tigerfish, my biggest being just over 8kg's. My guide has always been Tobias, as he is brilliant,very patient and has done it for many years. I always go for two weeks, as if you are fishing, u need that time to bed in. The view is breathtaking high above the river where u can see hippos everyday, and sometimes u can see elephants crossing the river to the island..The rooms in the lodges are fine, very comfortable but if you are going in the summer,maybe get the air conditioned ones as it gets very hot. The food is ok, always enough. The staff are all fantastic, especially Janine who is the best host i have ever had and makes Kiambi basically!!
Drinks can add up, so the best thing to do is buy alcohol at the shops in lusaka before you come down, and buyb a lot as you will be drinking a lot!! There is no entertainment to speak about,but sitting around the fire at night, listening to the sounds of Africa is maybe priceless!!There are 2 small pools there,so u never have to worry about the heat too much.
Negatives include the tranfer from Lusaka, no coz of the company(if Janine picks u up!!), but because of the price. I spend a lot of money on that lodge,and they still charge me 400 us to pick me up and drop me back.Since im from Africa,across the water actually, i know how much fuel costs and its an absolutly ridiculous price. Also, they need to do a package deal as when everything is added up, it can easily go into many thousands if you there for a while.
All in all,i still love it, and hope to be going back this year(if i get a good deal!!)I love it!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in early December, the low season. It was nice, sometimes we felt as though we had the place to ourselves. We self-catered so have no reviews on the meals offered. The pools were cleaned each day, and one pool has a shade cover over it which was nice for our pale skin. Some of the rooms have better views than others, so might be worth asking before booking. We worked with Janine via email who was very helpful answering all our questions so there were no surprise costs when we were there. The prices of beer are not that bad, but the internet is pretty expensive - but you are in the middle of no where, so why would you want to be on the internet anyways? The sunset cruise was awesome! We saw elephants, hippos, alligator, and tons of birds. Our driver was very knowledgeable. The views over the river are stunning, our favorite spot was the upstairs balcony on the air-con bar. If you are adventurous, you can walk to nearby villages. There isn't much there, but the locals will great you with excitement.
We were in a luxory tented cabin with a fan. We had no problems with the heat and the bathroom was nice. Our room was cleaned everyday. Just be prepared to be in the wilderness, and expect to meet some wildlife in the bathroom, as it is outside.
The water is drinkable, which is nice so that you don't have to spend a ton of money on bottle water.

Room Tip: Be sure to clarify what is included in your price, and what is not. The rack rates that were sent to...