“spectacular!!”

Royal Zambezi Lodge
Reviewed August 12, 2011

we have just had 4 nights as a family of 5 at the royal zambezi and we wished it had been 44! Our days were packed with game viewing, fishing and kayaking, the food was amazing, the staff were all fabulous and the rooms and setting took our breath away. The service was fantastic and the atmosphere managed to remain relaxed and fun - important when travelling with 3 children!
We all can't wait to return- soon !

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank caroline f

Reviewed July 24, 2011

Went with some friends to just hang out and be together and they took very good care of us the whole time. food is great, cabins are lovely, staff are helpful and there is just so much to do. it was hard to leave and I can't wait to get back.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank jchavezfield
Reviewed July 24, 2011

The Great White Hunter, who I had the pleasure to travel with has succienctly described what a wonderful place The Royal Zambezi Lodge is . I would like to endorse his comments but add my best Tiger fish was 13lbs !
The Lodge,staff,activities,food,game viewing,and fishing were all first class and I thoroughly recommend a visit for the experience of a lifetime.

1  Thank HAMMOND66
Reviewed July 23, 2011

This was our second trip to RZL. We first visited in 2005 and I thought that it would be a hard act to follow - how wrong I was.
The lodge has been substantially upgraded since that time. The chalets are bigger and even more comfortable. For example, our chalet had a copper bath in which you could bathe and simultaneously watch the activity in the nearby Zambezi. It also featured a personal plunge pool. There is now a spa and massage centre.
The other facilities in the lodge such as the bar and restaurant are still first class - there's nothing quite like sipping on a gin and tonic as you watch the elephants and hippos performing in the nearby Zambezi. As for the food - it was delicious and just kept on coming. I personally thought that the best meal they served was (ahem) the bream they served the evening after we had caught them.
As for the activities during the day, there's never a dull moment. Canoeing down (much easier than canoeing up) the Zambezi, tiger fishing, game drives, eye balling lions from about 10 metres away, even bird watching and treks. There seemed to be more animals than last time, and we certainly seemed to get a lot closer to them.
Then there's the RZL staff - from Tony the manager, Darrel the chef, Natalie and Debbie the lovely hostesses, through to the guides, kitchen hands and personal room cleaners, you could not hope for a more friendly and helpful bunch of people. We especailly loved our last evening when the staff sang a farewell song to us along the lines of "GOOD BYE, OUR GUESTS, YOU ARE GOING HOME" - it was great.
Just a small tip - don't take too many clothes with you - there is a laundry service every day. It's collected in the morning and returned that same evening.
I thought our trip in 2005 deserved GOLD. This time, I'm upgrading it to PLATINUM!

3  Thank Aussie_Grey_Power
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Enthralling, enrapturing, entrancing, enchanting and any other 'en' you can think of and it still doesn't come close to describing the week I have just returned from. I am well into the latter third of my life and one's senses become somewhat jaded with the passage of time, but I rediscovered the child within, as it were and learned how to become a human being again, as distinct from a human doing.
We spent two days at 'The Smoke that Thunders' before flying to Royal and this was a jaw-dropping prelude to that. I beg you, do not miss this. Nothing you have read or seen can possibly prepare you for this; it is positively awe-inspiring. Don't miss breakfast on Livingstone Island and the 'assisted' gaze into the abyss at the very brink of the Falls.
Once at Royal Zambezi, in beautifully appointed chalets within literally 10m of the mighty Zambezi, we settled in for the ride of our lives.
On the very first night I heard a loud rustling noise nearby and woke to find a vast hump right outside the balcony. Investigation proved it to be a LARGE ellie chomping on some reeds. I roused my wife and we gazed in wide-eyed awe at this astonishing sight. Had I wished, I could have easily leaned over the balcony and patted him on his rump. I considered asking him if I could be of assistance or was he happy just browsing.
I had not heard of tiger in Africa before my arrival, but before the week was out I had 4 of them in the 'bag' They were quite tiny - 6, 2x8 and a 9.5lb - and were, in fact fish. These are apparently, pound for pound, some of the most exhilarating fighting fish in the world and I won't bore you with the monster that got away. They do go up to 30lb, I understand.
Elephant, hippo and lion as well as birdlife by the truckload complete the picture. This is not wildlife at a distance, but up-CLOSE and VERY PERSONAL. Imagine, if you will, being in an open Land-Rover, quite still, and staring into the eyes of a fully-grown lioness at about 5 paces. Exciting stuff and about 98% safe. It was that 2% which concerned Every day was crammed full with activities for those so inclined, but down-time was also available. Bush walks with guards and guides armed to the teeth were fascinating, but even more so were the game drives at night with the possibility of watching a pride devouring their kill.
Highlights included a magical night under the stars al fresco candlelit dinner out in the bush with the full complement of staff dancing attendance on us. Marginally behind was a similar lunch.
Please, I beg you, do yourself a massive favour and experience the African bush on the banks of the fourth largest river in Africa. I'm sure you will find it one without parallel.
In the words of the Nike ad - JUST DO IT!

2  Thank greatwhitehunter70
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Where does one start to praise this lodge and all of its staff......

We were met at the airstrip by our guide for the week, Brian, he imediately made us feel welcome and was well informed with the check in proceedure at the lodge which was a 5 min trip in the Land Rover. We were met with drinks and breakfast on arrival at the lodge (breakfast was basically tell us what you want and we will provide it!!) by Darrel the head chef. We were taken to our "tent" and were fortunate enough that as only two couples were in the whole camp (us included) that we were upgraded to one of the supior suites (wow...... what more do you need to say, view the pictures.....)

We had a trip out on the river after breakfast with Brian and Enoch, we saw several hippos, crocs, eagles ,baboons etc it was all quiet overwhelming having only arrived half an hour before, but what a way to start off.

The whole week was very casually planned each night with the guides, they gave us various suggestions for what we could do the next day, then once chosen went off and organised it, breakfast could be taken before going out or breakfast sandwiches (recommend these!!!) could be taken out on a game drive, we could opt to stay out for as long as we wanted, I suggested going out one day at 6am and possibly staying out all day and into the night, Brian said OK, like it was no problem to work 16 hrs straight!!!! (we did however come back for an afternoon break and a spot of fishing that day....this was our choice, brian was happy to accomodate us!)

we had a fantastic bush BBQ one night as a suprise for the whole camp (now two couples and four fishermen) this was awsome and not to be missed out on. The staff even set the bar up in the bush, does it get any better????

My wife used the Spa with Jill and said it was the best massage she had ever had so that box was ticked as well.

The food was good to excellent at all times with plenty of it with both fine dining provided in camp or at lunch times out in the bush, how cool was it to have table and chairs with a table cloth and full service for lunch in the bush!!!

Make sure you take advantage of the "sun downer" option.... Gin and tonic never tasted so good, watching the Elephants eating and playing during sun set over the mountains...

There was always a choice of starters and main with well balance tasty dishes at every meal. I actually ate so much that I put on 5 pounds in a week which was pretty good going on an active weeks holiday!!!

The "tent" or should I say very large room/ suit/ complex..... was perfect, be prepaired to meet elephants face to face in camp along with monkeys, crocs!!! and even the odd lion (don't worry the camp runs full security and protection of guests is at the top of their list of priorities) The hippo that woke us up every morning at 3am on his way to water was an experience I will neber forget, (waking up from deep sleep with a hippo roaring ten feet away from your bed was a new experience for us!!)

The guides can not be thanked enough, Brian ,Simeone and co. really know their stuff and are constantly quizzing each other to check everyones knowledge and understanding.Great humour all week, well done boys!!

After having spent a week here being royaly spoilt we almost felt that we were part of the lodge family, this was in a good way at all times. Credit to Tony, Nats, Darrel, Jill and everyone else involved in making our stay so special. Thank you

Room Tip: book through imagine africa they have their own tent being built at the moment to gaurantee an upgra...