Mchenja Bush Camp - Norman Carr Safaris
$149
InterContinental
  • Pool
Hotels.com
All reviewsnorman carroutdoor showerparticular tripguide johnoverlooking the riverbush campluangwa riverwildlife viewingsun downerrooms are largeother guestsgame drivesopen fireland roverlion killpark gatesafari vehicle
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This was our next stop after our stay at Nsolo and our sleep out in the bush. When we walked in from the bush, we were surprised by the beautiful location at the edge of the Luangwa River. As in Nsolo, the staff was amazing, the food spectacular and the game viewing exceptional. I think South Luangwa combined with one of these lodges from Norman Carr Safaris must be the ultimate african experience!!!!! Hope to come back soon !!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Mchenja is an intimate camp with very comfortable accommodation situated along the Luangwa river. We spent 3 nights in tent 1 and wished we could have stayed longer. Amba and the whole team were so fantastic and made us feel like family. Our guides Simon and Andrew were incredibly knowledgeable and entertaining. The food was some of the best we had on our safari in Zambia - compliments to chef Reuben. A highlight was definitely having a leopard walk past the room as I was sitting outside reading. Visit Zambia and stay with Norman Carr Safaris if you have the chance.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank gbwt
Reviewed October 6, 2011

If you're looking to do a walking safari, go to Zambia. And if you're in Zambia, go with Norman Carr Safaris; we can't recommend them enough.

We stayed at three of the five Norman Carr Safari lodges in South Luangwa for two nights each. Luwi was our first stop and we then proceeded to Nsolo and last of all Mchenja. We liked doing it this way as you see progressively more game as you go along - though we spoke to other guests who liked the reverse; see lots of big cats etc then head to the more remote camps to appreciate the smaller things. Who knew dung would be so fascinating?

Mchenja is also the most luxurious of all three camps (we hear very good things about Kapani and Kikuli but didn't get to those two) and even has a bath. At Mchenja we were very well looked after by Katie and our guide and scout, Simon and Kimisa (so sorry if the spelling is wrong!) were just magicians who seemed to know where all the animals in the vicinity were hiding at any given moment...

We saw hyeana knocked off a kill by lions and got to watch another pride work their way through a buffalo over a few days (note: it definitely gets a bit woofy after the third, park upwind...). We also saw a hippo at, well, fairly close range, which was a bit of an adrenaline rush - however, the guys were totally professional, made sure we were out of harm's way and we always felt entirely safe.

Walking is by far the best way of having a look around and we had some pretty magic encounters with elephant and buffalo as well. Even if you've seen 40 elephant already from a vehicle, seeing them on foot is just amazing.

The food, the view and the service are all spectacular at Mchenja, with heaps of animals and birds just hanging around near camp. We could hear a lion roaring one morning while drinking our coffee watching the hippos in the river - and I think that will be one of my great memories of South Luangwa.

Having done safaris in SA and Namibia, I can safely say Zambia is the best place I've been, in terms not only of the variety and numbers of game we saw but also the sense of remoteness which just makes it all much better.

To Katie, Simon and Kimisa, thanks so much for such a great time, we're sorry we didn't get to write in the visitors' book! Wishing you all the best,

E&T

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brunswick_travellers
Reviewed August 30, 2011

After driving from Luwi Bush Camp, I arrived at Mchenja for my final nights of my safari in South Luangwa. I moved from Nsolo - a drier environment, to Luwi - a greener environment, to Mchenja along the banks of the Luangwa River. The beauty of the camp and of the chalets themselves was matched by the knowledge of the staff and their ability to understand how to increase odds of seeing what you seek. As I have mentioned in my reviews of Nsolo and Luwi, in the vein of these three bush camps in which I stayed, the staff is all highly interactive with the guests, which makes the stay much more personal, warm and genuine. The experienced guides have a great passion for their work, and it was a joy to see the wonder with which my guide, Innocent, also observed the things that I was lucky enough to see - like lions stalking, killing and eating an impala or methodically pursuing a herd of buffalo and tactically trying to separate the herd and attack. With grace and elegance, Mchenja is as pretty it is as lively - the hippos communicating all day and night directly below us in the river particularly sang great bedtime lullabies. This was the perfect capstone to my safari first focusing on walking and appreciating the smaller wonders of the bush to focusing on game drives (especially the exciting night drives) appreciating the big picture, also moving from the more rustic to the more elegant.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Rachel K
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Good evening,

we would like to thank you for the
great experience with you in the
wilderness of Africa.

Best food, best accomodation,
most competent and committed
leaders, drivers and other staff
made our stay to a perfect ex-
perience.

Specially we thank John, Levi,
Shaddy and Andrew they explained
us the secrets of the bush.

Also we thank Charles and Bwalowe
for driving us and Katy, Sarah and
Glenn for caring us in the camps.

At last we thank all staff helped us
to have unforgettable holidays.

continue doing so - much success
in future