“A treat you don't expect”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Luangwa National Park
Mfuwe Lodge - The Bushcamp Company
Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
“A treat you don't expect”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We spend 2 nights at Mfuwe lodge. What an amazing place! You feel truely like a guest, staff is very very friendly and willing to help. The place itself is so mind blowing great, beautiful situated, perfectly 'English' style. Inlcuding a very very large lounge and dining area. Terrace with overview over the Luangwe river. Including afternoon tea, incredible food!

2 game drives per day, and very goodI must see! We have seen lion, leopard the first drive! :-)

And in November the mango tree in the garden has fruit, wich atracts the elephants, baboons etc. Sit down with a gin and tonic and enjoy!

Altough pricy.... if you want to spoil yourself this is a great place!
(ps we combined it with a few nights bush camps)

Room Tip: Either the pool or the river are good. I think chalets at the pool a big larger (but who needs such...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Yorkshire
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Fabulous accomodation. We arrived at 7pm so it was dark. We were delighted with the ambience and comfort of the reception area as lucy explained all we needed to know regarding facilities. The large detached individual lodge rooms all overlook either the hippo pod or the family room 'crocodile', which we had even thought there were only 2 of us is 2 storey with 2 balconies and overlooks a bathing pool frequented throughout the day by elephants warthogs and zebra.
The food is superb. I am vegetarian and my husband cannot eat fish- we were more than amply catered for- our waistbands proving this by the end of the holiday!! Afternoon tea is a sumptuous affair before departing for a second game drive, we were amply fed 4 times in the day and I am delighted to say that Lisa the catering manageress, always looking for new recipes to tempt the clientele has adopted one of my vegetarian soups as a regular feature!!
Game drives are superb. We tracked a large pride of lions which started across the water from a sandbar then rushed back having been warned off by some crocodiles. The leopard was seen up close during an evening and daytime drive, lots of zebra and giraffes and beautiful carmine bee eaters- a special tribute here to Alec our guide who remembered from our first evening at dinner that I particularly wanted to see them and made sure that I did. When we were out on game drives a very important point struck me. Very few game lodges (ours being one of them ) have overhead canopies on the vehicles- essential to keep the hot sun off your head- there were some other vehicles that we saw with rather hot looking passengers as the sun beat down on them - I was very glad of the protection our canopy afforded and it meant that whilst in the vehicle you didn't have to put a hat on unless you particularly wanted.
All game drives finish with a fabulous sundowner. The sunsets are picturesque here and as the park is not overcrowded we never saw another vehicle at the end of the day enjoying the same wonderful view- magical!!

Each night at dinner was different, including dinner in the bush which was wonderfufl and on the last night a local acting group who spend a lot of their time acting and educating people on health issues showed us their repertoire that they have showing the importance of man and the animals of the bush working together in harmony- very very good.
The manager Ian is a pleasant chap who kep my husband upto date with football results back home which made me chuckle.
Bongo drums announce meal times and I was allowed to have a go for afternoon tea when I said to our guide Alec it was something I had always wanted to try!!
Nothing is too much trouble for the staff here and even though I am not really a 'spa visitor' I can honestly say that the foot and leg massage after travelling was very good and not overpriced as so many are. The swimming pool overlooks a natural water pool so there is always something to see whilst resting either at the edge of the pool or on the bed area around it.
I can highly rate this lodge and I can find nothing negative about it at all. The setting is beautiful, game is prolific (as proved by Kate Humble's recent documentary here), the staff are wonderful, the food is superb. I can't rate this lodge highly enough, there is absolutely nothing I can find to fault and I am very pernickety. Staying here you would not be disappointed. We will come back again in the green season - I'm sure it will be evey bit as wonderful.

Room Tip: All good but the 2 double storey lodges, one at at either end (ours was 'Crocodile' over lo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gilly88
Bienne, Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

If you are amazed by the sight of hippos, baboons, cevets, crocodiles, impalas and many more this is the spot to be. Within the first 5 minutes after leaving the lodge for game drives we saw four of the Big 5. Also, (wild) elephants were coming to the reception everyday to feed on fruit from the trees! It is a once in a lifetime experience.

Staff, food, room, guides and everything else was equally great.

The only annoyance was an angry, elderly German couple :-) .

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitefish, Montana, United States
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Mfuwe Lodge embraces true MAGIC! I have been a guest two times with "Dazzle Africa" and can tell you it is an experience of a lifetime. The staff, chalets, and service are first class. The animals are abundant and just when you think it doesn't get any better - it DOES!
Love to all at Mfuwe!

Room Tip: They are all INCREDIBLE! I have stayed in Kudo and Lion!
1 Thank Caroline J
Reviewed November 23, 2013

From the moment we arrived at Mfuwe Lodge we were treated like royalty. Our safari guides took us on incredible safari's every day. We always returned from safari to beautifully prepared meals, drinks and relaxation. Our stay at Mfuwe lodge was a once in a lifetime experience. We will return someday!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Beautybabyxoxo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I just finished my third stay at the lodge and my experience just keeps getting better and better. The staff that I've gotten to know over the last 3 years is always impeccable, friendly, fun and makes sure that every person on our group trips for Dazzle Africa are completely taken care of...the Wildlife flourishes in front of us while sitting on the deck or in the pool - watching elephants, zebras, warthogs and more meander through the lodge grasses or the valley. Go to Mfuwe Lodge and relax at the Spa, have a Mosi in the pool, adventure on Safari with incredible guides and see wildlife that you can't see anywhere else in the world up close and personal. The most challenging part is leaving!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Mfuwe and it never disappoints - from the thoughtful, helpful management, caring friendly staff and knowledgeable and safe guides! We brought 13 friends this year and all had positive experiences. The food is top notch, setting idyllic, accommodations stellar. I can't wait to return next year :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Luangwa National Park
Croc Valley Camp
Croc Valley Camp
#16 of 43 in South Luangwa National Park
Mushroom Lodge
Mushroom Lodge
#33 of 43 in South Luangwa National Park
Sanctuary Chichele Presidential Lodge
Sanctuary Chichele Presidential ...
#13 of 43 in South Luangwa National Park
#17 of 43 in South Luangwa National Park
Anabezi Luxury Tented Camp
Anabezi Luxury Tented Camp
#7 of 13 in Lower Zambezi National Park

Been to Mfuwe Lodge - The Bushcamp Company? Share your experiences!