“a wonderful bush camp experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Luangwa National Park
Kuyenda Bushcamp - The Bushcamp Company
London, United Kingdom
“a wonderful bush camp experience”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for 3 days and had a truly amazing time . It was a small camp but let that not detract from hospitality and wealth of knowledge shown by Phil and Babette the owners. Without a doubt a truly inimitable and treasured Safarian experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Caerdydd
Reviewed October 11, 2013

If you're looking for Disneyland parades of animals or engineered situations then stop reading now as this isn't where to find these. Instead here is a gem of a place. Tucked away amongst the Bushcamp Company is Kuyenda Bushcamp. What a revelation - we spent time at Mfuwe Lodge and Chamilandu before getting to Kuyenda and had already been blown away by the lodges, foods and guides. And so we arrived at the most authentic of camps. Grass huts fitted to the highest degree and the amazing star gazing from the open topped bathroom was a real fantastic discovery. The food was top notch and really was the best coffee that I have had in Zambia yet (after 2.5months here). Waking every morning to sounds of animals and birds and then a copper jug of hot water for a wake up wash was fantastic before breakfast. However the highlight - even more so than the copious amount of game that we saw, were the hosts Phil and Babette. NOTHING can describe the absolute priviledge my friends and I felt from sitting at the same table as these legends of the Zambian safari world and the real fight for the anti-poaching movement. All of which was totally kept quiet especially by Phil - who is the ultimate gentleman and enjoys nothing of the spot light and would rather be taking the guests out walking though the bush to observe the flaura and fauna. I felt the guides everywhere with the Bushcamp company were tremendous but Phil was by far the most knowledgable - no sound,leaf, petal, footprint or flash of colour escaped him and his knowledge of anything to do with Zambian wildlife is an absolute treasure trove and was complimented fully by the scout Esseiah. Babette is Phil's wonderful partner who welcomed us so warmly- like one of their extended family. She later (after much prompting) regaled us with so many tales of their safari experiences that has taught us so much about things we knew little about prior to our trip. Babette's classy stamp was all over our fabulous sundowner moments and the amazing food that we ate. There wasn't a thing that they didn't or wouldn't do for us to make sure that we had the most amazing time. This safari was one of my best holiday ever - and I feel that I have not only exerienced great safari wildlife moments but by staying at Kuyenda we really experience first hand what safari is about and this phenomenal experience will stay in my mind for decades.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

If you are considering a rural/pure Zambian experience, then this is probably exactly what you are looking for, with fairly basic open air (temperamental) bathroom facilities and small rooms constructed with natural materials. Kuyenda is not set by a river or lagoon which I feel detracts from the setting and also impacts on the sighting of fewer animals/birds.

The guests we shared time with at this Bushcamp all seemed to love it and indeed one couple were returning for their second visit, which speaks volumes for their opinion. We, perhaps might have shared this opinion had we not been first to stay at Chindeni Bushcamp, where the accommodation was more highly appointed and there was a buzz of excitement with frequent animal sightings. In consequence, Kuyenda's quieter, rural setting felt more obviously tame.

Nevertheless, our delightful hosts Babette and Phil were charming company and did their best to make us feel welcome. The dining experiences were memorable with really good food, clearly influenced by Babette's culinary skills and meals were always beautifully presented.

The walking safaris and night time drives were interesting but perhaps not as fruitful or educational as our similar experiences at Mfuwe Lodge or Chindeni Bushcamp. The sundowner moments were fun and presented the opportunity to hear more from Phil who is a naturally quietly spoken gentleman. He has some extraordinary anecdotes to share reflecting his many years of experience in the bush.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gail F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Kuyenda Camp is a real Bush Camp, away from the Luangwa river, and has more of a real traditional bush camp than some of the other camps.
Those looking for the real "In the bush experience" will love it. Those looking for modern luxuries, with occasional sights of animals will not.

Room Tip: Some huts are further from the main camp, great for the "In the bush experience" not so gr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Wow. This is a treasure of a bushcamp! Babette and Phil and all the staff are amazing. The guides are all knowledgable and the schedule so pleasant. The food was delicious and the small size was ideal. I'll never forget the fantastic wildlife I saw, heard and experienced there. One night, we were served traditional Zambian food and serenaded by the staff. Another time, my sister and I were able to hang out with the kitchen staff and play mancala and tic tac toe. The bushcamp company will set up an amazing, life-changing safari for you, and Kuyenda will definitely be a highlight.

Room Tip: There are only a few rooms, so don't be worried if your children are in a separate hut from you...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I absolutely loved my four-night stay at Kuyenda. This was my first time to Africa, and my first of three different bush camp stays, and I feel so fortunate to have chosen both the South Luangwa area and Kuyenda as my introduction to this experience.

Other reviewers have summed up the beauty and uniqueness of Kuyenda in ways that I can only echo. It is a truly rustic camp in the best sense of the word, leaving you feeling part of the bush while at the same time allowing you to dine on five-star meals and luxuriate in thatched-roof chalets with amazingly comfortable beds. (There is no electricity or running hot water in the chalets, all of which makes the hot pot of water they bring you in the morning – and the hot-water filling of the shower tank in the attached, outdoor bathroom, at whatever time you request it – that much more enjoyable and appreciated!)

But the best part of the camp is the staff and of course, the legendary Phil. What a privilege to be able to spend time with him, and not just for his vast knowledge of the area and ability to find so many animals in places where we were the only vehicle around (among the 'big ones' were elephants, zebras, hippos, giraffes and even a leopard, as well as a beautiful lioness that walked right alongside our vehicle), but also for his sense of humor and obvious great love of this region and its wildlife.

Babette was unfortunately not there at the time I was, but Lisa was fantastic and could not have made me feel more welcome and looked after. We had many great conversations at meals and around the fire after night drives, and also in the morning while drinking our much-needed coffee! The entire staff, in fact, made me feel quite at home, and Kuyenda will always remain special to me in large part because of that.

Overall, it was an incredible place, and one that I so hope to return to some day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank bamboostation
Yardley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Kuyenda is a wonderful, secluded camp. Surrounded on three sides by dense bush, with only one side open to a field visited by all kinds of wildlife, the camp is practically hidden away. Like all other Bushcamp properties I've visited, the accommodations are very comfortable, the food delicious, the staff very friendly, and the attention to detail impeccable - as demonstrated by the novel napkin creations decorating the dinner table each night. It was a thrill to meet the legendary Phil Berry, and Lisa, in Babette's absence, was most hospitable. Dinner conversations were lively and informative, and we really felt like part of the family. We had very good sightings, including lion and leopard, and an ellie family visited our rondavel daily.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family