“A Fantastic Welcome to Zambia”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Luangwa National Park
Chamilandu Bushcamp - The Bushcamp Company
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My best friend and I arrived at Chamilandu in the evening, and were left breathless at the view in the morning! The camp, and Georgie, are so warm and welcoming, and Gilbert is a terrific guide. Having lunch at the hide was a real treat, as we could watch the baboons playing while we ate. There was absolutely nothing we could have wanted that the staff didn't think of!

Room Tip: Since there are only three chalets, all with a river view, all are great.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed two nights here and had a wonderful time. It has to be one of the best laid out camps and as it is built out of traditional materials it fits very sympathetically in with its surroundings. The guiding and hosting were outstanding. Gilbert had a vast knowledge of game, birds, plants and just about eVerything else! Finding a Leopard kill during a morning walk and going back in the evening to watch a mother leopard and her two cubs was the highlight of my visit. Georgie was very attentive without being intrusive and looked after all the guests very well indeed.

The bed was very comfortable and sleeping with nothing but a mozzie net between me and the bush was a great experience - especially when the wind blew!

The view from the terrace was spectacular and the hide is an equally good place to spend a quiet couple of hours.

Room Tip: All the chalets are the same and any would be comfortable and a great place to stay.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kdc_9
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Had a wonderful stay in the open-to-the-elements lodges. Food really good and on the first brunch we had a 'make your own pizza' session under the guidance of the chef. Great fun!

The safaris were great and used the old Land Rover Defenders. I was impressed with what excellent off-road vehicles they are. The guided bush walk in the morning was a much-needed bit of exercise and you get to know all you ever wanted to know about different types of animal droppings.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed at Chamilandu with my wife for 3 nights earlier this month. We have been on numerous safaris, staying at many camps and lodges over the years, and Chamilandu is at the top of the list. It amazes me that in the middle of the bush, The Bushcamp Company, has built a remote yet luxurious hideaway. The beds were so comfortable with open views to the river. The bathroom had all the comforts of home with the surreal experience of being watched by baboons while I showered and looking out at hippos in the river. The camp is not fenced in and I enjoyed sitting on my personal deck and watching the elephants graze around our chalet all night. There is a "hide" which is more like a high-end cabana with views to all the animals below. Georgi, the expert camp manager, made sure we were always comfortable, well fed and had a cold drink. The chef, George, made delicious creations that surpassed many high end meals I've had in restaurants that have all the modern gadgets and amenities.....he made the best crepes over a bucket of coal!! Most importantly, the sightings were numerous and incredible. Owls, leopards, elephants, birds etc...all within close proximity of the camp! Thank you, Georgi and crew!! PS, thanks for showing me the Giant Eagle Owl and to Gilbert for the Pel's Fishing Owl!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NOSNED
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at Chamilandu for three night and had an amazing experience. Seriously did not want to leave. They only have three chalets so it's a very personal experience. The rooms are what they call treetop and simply wonderful...words can't express how lovely this camp was. 5 star service from Georgie and her team. The food was excellent and the views were amazing. It's an open room meaning you only have three walls and an outdoor bathroom which made for some seriously funny experiences for us... We had some unexpected visitors which I loved. What can I say but taking a shower outside with a baboon watching is an interesting experience!. We were lucky to have elephants two nights right outside our room. We watched them from our deck for hours... Nature just outside your room.. What more can you ask for and what can I say about the baboons that are always by chalet number 1. They are so fun and interesting to watch. This is a must for anyone visiting this area....we will be back one day! Thank you Georgie and your team for your wonderful hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ilovetotravel1966
Reviewed July 3, 2012

After our stay at Kapamba (see seperate review) we (2 adults and 2 kidz) spent two nights at Chamilandu and were blown away by the experience. The 3 stilted chalets overlooking the Luangwa river are built from wood and thatch and were absolutely stunning. The levels of service from the staff was first rate and the food was awesome. A surprise lunch was arranged for our family at the game-hide at the back of the camp nect to a permanent waterhole........a clay pizza oven and each of us could make our own pizza with different toppings. Our guide at Chamilandu was Gilbert who has been doing this for 21 years in the Luangwa Valley............the safari walks led by him was excellent......and a must-do activity, as were the gin-and-tonics served for sundowners every evening somewhere in the bush! After dinner at night a camp-fire was lit and hours spent talking about our experiences of the day....and just the meaning of life in general. Chamilandu is a special place and we reccomend it highly.

Room Tip: Only three rooms, stunning views..........anyone will do!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jacques_11_11
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Chamilandu is without a doubt the most delightful bush camp I have ever visited. Over the past twelve years I have stayed at camps in Botswana, Tanzania, Kenya, Zambia and Uganda, and this camp wins the prize for best views, unbelievably delicious food, and fantastic service provided by delightful staff! Georgie, lovely camp manager, and Gilbert our ever-smiling guide, made us feel as if we were their personal guests for our three night stay, not just clients. My mouth waters whenever I think about the delicious meals prepared by George and his staff. I can't wait for the cookbook to be posted! As mentioned in previous posts, the open chalets are beautifully appointed and have fantastic views of the Luangwa River and Chindeni Hills. We learned so much from Gilbert on our walks and drives, and it's obvious that he enjoys sharing his knowledge with others. We had night sightings of lionesses, hyena, genet, civit and even a martial eagle. Days were filled with hippo, giraffe, puku, impala, warthog, baboon, vervets, buffalo, plants, trees, flowers and numerous bird sightings. I added 16 new bird species to my list during my stay. I usually select camps based on wildlife viewing and reputation of the guides, not luxury and comfort, but Chamilandu has it all! My visit was simply enchanting!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends