“Isolated, remote and lots of fun!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Skeleton Coast Park
NWR Terrace Bay Resort
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We visited Terrace Bay as my husband had a desire to travel up the coast as far as we could drive. This place is primarily a fisherman's paradise and we understood that before arriving. It's not a 5 star resort and doesn't pretend to be. It's seriously remote. There is nothing up there and mainly fishing people stay there. So understand that and expect that and you'll be fine. The rooms are basic but as clean as can be, we had a fridge which was handy. Surprisingly even though the bed felt lumpy slept well. Dinner was great in the restaurant - spinach soup, kingklip. We found the staff very good and very chatty with us. In short we had no issues here and would definitely come up for another visit, the scenery is remarkable in its desolation. We were hoping to catch a glimpse of the terrace male lion while we were there but missed out this time. We did see lots of gemsbok on our drive out though which was great.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LKK01
There are newer reviews for NWR Terrace Bay Resort

Reviewed December 20, 2013

First of all I would like to congratulate the people that keeps this place running as I dont think it is an easy job in such a remote area. The scenery is majestic the food is excellent. The people are so friendly! To the person who wrote the previous review, I think he is from Ireland. I read your review before booking my stay and I was hesistant, but decided still to come. First off al comparing Namibia to Ireland is sad...and your review is pathetic, unworented and not a true reflection I hope someone remove it. We will certainely return and bring more people with! Ps our showers were awesome!!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank ElsebiGadney
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This has to be one of the bleakest places in the world. I spent six years, or, more accurately, wasted six years of my life in Scotland and couldn't wait to get away partly because of the inhuman weather, bleak scenery and constant drizzle.

Terrace Bay is like that .

While the staff are friendly enough they are, however, useless when it comes to organising and serving a set meal. The meal is (if memory serves) available from 7 o'clock. There couldn't have been more than 40 people but three servers couldn't get their act together to serve us in less than two hours.

I'd have cooked it from scratch and served 40 people myself in under two hours.

Some of the guests were reduced to simply walking into the kitchen and helping themselves to the already cooked food. That's what's so galling. It's already cooked. It's a set meal. It just needs putting on a plate and bringing out.

Made worse by having time to read all the nonsense people have written on the walls of the dining room about how it's a 'beautiful place' and 'proof of God's existence'. If anything it is proof of Satan's existence. Why does everybody think they're a poet in these places when most of them clearly haven't written more than a postcard since leaving school?

The accommodation is basic and not particularly expensive and I'd have entered into the spirit of isolated bleakness were it not for being starved for two hours for no reason other than utter incompetence.

The drive down from Terrace Bay to Swakopmund is worth it though. Past all those shipwrecks (signed from the road) and the incredible seal sanctuary at Cape Cross. Don't forget to stop and show your kids the massive salt crystals forming as trapped seawater evaporates. Ionic bonding doncha know.

I'd have bought the T-Shirt but then I'd be advertising the place and, frankly, it doesn't deserve to be advertised.

You can get a fill of petrol though so no need to panic if you're running low.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived there was no people at reception for hours. They left our room open and arrived in the evening.
There was no water due a problem to the water pump.
People at the restaurant was unfriendly.
The only thing to save is the location that is amazing

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Chiaraeanis
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Without doubt the worst place we stayed for many years. After a long drive the staff were uninterested, not helpful and laughted when we mentioned the cold sea mist, saying we had better get used to it!.
They did not bother to show us to the room just pointed in the general direction to a challet! (shed) which was to say the least shabby, dirty with cigarette burn holes in the bed linen, curtains hanging off the rails,a rusty fridge and a mouldy bathroom. The only good thing about this place is the mobile phone signal which enabled us to book new accomodation for the next night as there was NO way that we would have stayed for the second night. Avoid unless you like fishing which we were told was great. Shame that we got a small piece of microwaved frozen fish for dinner.

Room Tip: Anywhere else would be better!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank carey326
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you want to get to the most northern part of the Skeleton Coast, you have to stay at the NWR resort at Terrace Bay. It is old and tired but not without its charm. Ignore the flaking paintwork on the outside (and inside) of your chalet and enjoy the glorious isolated beauty you can only find on this road less travelled. On the road north to Terrace Bay, you will pass a handful of water holes by the side of the sand road. Stop at each and take pause; listen and look for a while. You will be astonished at the variety of wild life that lives around these waterholes. We saw springbok, Oryx, flamingo, wildebeest, two varieties of heron and five different varieties of duck/goose. We also learned that there is a single male lion that inhabits the area but we were not fortunate enough to see him. It was unbelievable to find any life at all in such an inhospitable environment yet alone the variety we did see.

The Skeleton Coast has an unique haunting beauty I am finding difficult to describe. It is only by way of using a combination of our senses that you can indelibly capture this unique beauty in your memory banks. Visually the colours are subtle but as the sun moves, the colours change and as the wind blows, the sand textures change and the colours change again. The desert wind warms your skin and your heart then the colours and textures in the landscape become more friendly; but the cool breeze from the sea, chills the body, brings in the clouds, dims the sunlight and the colours and textures of the landscape start to threaten as the goose pimple rise on your skin: yet each subtle change creates its own inflexion of beauty. I had waited for years to get to the Skeleton Coast and, the my anticipation of unique splendour was at its height as I approached the brow of a hill from the east, knowing I was about to get my first glimpse of this personal holy grail. The actuality, opening up before me, immediately presented as beyond my expectations: but it was only when I got closer and the divisions between sky, sea and land became more distinct, it was clear that my first glimpse was being born out as gob-smackingly true! This is truly an unique part of our planet and I can only hope that I have scratched enough of its beauty onto this review to inspire others to see for themselves.
My Five Star rating is more for this part of the Skeleton Coast. NWR Terrace Bay scores 3.5

Room Tip: Don't worry about your room. Put on your walking boots and go outside to inhale true beauty!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank FulmerJohn
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We spent 3 nights at this isolated spot on the Skeleton Coast. Located in an old diggers' village, the rooms are simple, clean and sea-facing. Breakfast and dinner are included and for such a remote spot, the food was excellent. Four course dinner with 4 choices for the mains. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
#5 of 15 in Damaraland
Grootberg Lodge
Grootberg Lodge
#1 of 15 in Outjo

Been to NWR Terrace Bay Resort? Share your experiences!