“The farm is great, the grill is not”
Review of Fishkill Farms

Fishkill Farms
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I came here apple picking with my husband and some friends, and we had a great time! We always buy Fishkill Farms produce and eggs at our local farmers market, so when we decided to go apple picking, we picked Fishkill. The trees had plenty of apples, and there's a tractor that drives in a big circle through the orchards that you can hitch a ride on if you don't feel like walking. With a 4 year old in the group, we took advantage of the ride. Some of the trees had branches low enough for him to pick his own apples, which was great. The apples there are outstanding, and they use the minimum pesticides possible in New York. I know they have actual organic trees, but I don't think they're open for pick-your-own. At the main entrance to the farm, they have a market full of other produce and local meats and dairy. FYI, the only bathrooms are porta-potties. There were a lot of them, so we didn't have to wait long.

The only reason I gave this a 4 instead of a 5 is that the grill is just surprisingly awful. We waited almost an hour on a line that really wasn't that long, because we figured the weather was nice and all their other food is good, so who wouldn't like the sound of local, pasture-raised hamburgers and hot dogs? For the time it took, you'd think they were making the food to order. It was cold. All of it. Not even slightly warm. I guess the food was all made ahead of time and the servers were just really slow in putting them in buns? The hot dog tasted good, but it would have been much better warm. The hamburgers were really thin and dried out and flavorless. The only thing that saved the day meal-wise was the warm donuts, which were outstanding. We kept going back for more.

To sum up, I highly recommend Fishkill Farm for apple picking, produce, and their warm donuts, but avoid the grill.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place is an absolute gem! Surprisingly, it's only an hour away from NYC and only charges $5 for car admission. There's a variety of different types of apples and pumpkins to choose from and as a bonus, this farm also produces their own organic vegetables!! We ran into bushels of sage, peppers, spinach, kale, collards, basil, oregano...etc.

Once you're done picking apples and pumpkins, enjoy the live music, fresh donuts and burgers from the outside pit! This place is even pet friendly so if you have a dog, don't hesitate to bring it along.

To top it off, we only paid $9 for our fresh, organic apples we picked (it was only a third of the bag but I counted at least 17 huge apples).

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Fish Kill Farms is good for pick your own produce such as peaches and apples. The selection is good and they have many different types to choose from. The only downside is that prices have gone up and it does get busy on weekends. I would suggest going early and leaving early on weekends in the fall. The fall weekends are fun since they have cider donuts, a grill and very often a band playing.

1  Thank Ed C