All reviews cocktail hour wedding venue dream wedding the main house european style breakfast this past weekend bit dated guests taconic
Reviewed April 29, 2014

A recent wedding brought me to Le Chambord Inn. We stayed in the "Tara" building. Although the website states that the rooms have canopy beds, our room did not have a canopy bed. I can only speak about the rooms in the "Tara" building as I did not see the rooms in the Inn itself. There is definitely room for improvement as the entire building is very dated. Although the bathrooms have been retiled/refurbished, the fixtures and wallpaper have not been updated. Even the pictures on the walls are faded, showing their age. The entire building needs refurbishing. I like colonial decor so my comments are not based on personal style preferences. The colonial decor is most definitely the original from when this building was built in the 1980's. The rooms smelled musty. The entire building needs a face lift! We had been told that a breakfast would be provided each morning. The breakfast is muffins, scones, and croissants with cold cuts and cheese, coffee, and juice upon request. The food at the wedding was good. I cannot say it was over the top. The staff: cleaning crew were grouchy and could be heard complaining. Wait staff at breakfast: lovely. Wait staff at the reception: fine. These comments lead me to an average rating at best.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Travelerreview2014
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My bf & I had a blast since it was our first road trip/vacation from Baltimore, MD to New York. We spent two nights at the Inn with free breakfast. Breakfast starts from 6:30 - 9:30am & like others said it was fresh & great with the exception of the fruit salad in my opinion. I believe they should be covered with clear wraps for those that come in later. Now the rooms were big & comfortable & I loved the vintage look. Wedding was lovely, staff were great especially Joe whom I believe was in charge of the wedding & food was delicious. Very lovely weekend & would definitely revisit in the future.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Spent 2 nights there for our daughter's wedding. Turned out to be a big family & friend reunion. We had all the rooms in the Tara building, which made it perfect for gathering in the 2 centralized rooms in the building. The staff was not intrusive; but where very helpful when needed. The rooms could use refurbishing however they were big, comfy and pretty sound proof. The wedding was SPECTACULAR (the weather may have contributed to that fact). The cocktail hour, food and service was wonderful. The morning breakfast was great as was the service. Would go back for a family reunion.

Room tip: All room in the Tara building are equally as nice. Can`t coment on the rooms in the main bldg.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2014

It is conveniently located right off the Taconic which is a huge plus! Also, the free breakfast was great. The fresh baked croissants, scones and muffins were warm and delicious! Juice was fresh, coffee was strong, fruit salad was also a delight. No on to the rooms. . . . there is a reason they only cost $104/night. They are very large which is a plus, but they have not been renovated in what seems like over thirty years. The vintage country look is great, love the couch, free standing mirror and canopy bed however the wallpaper/curtain combo needs a re-do. They also need to invest in new carpeting, new mattresses, complete bathroom renovation is also desperately needed. This place has such amazing potential! I really think they should invest in renovating the property next winter in time for 2015 wedding season. They will get a lot more brides if they do! I can't imagine spending my wedding night in one of those rooms nor my guests. Overall it was a convenient one night stay on our way up to the Berkshires on a late Friday night but if it was more than just a stop over, I would have been very disappointed.

Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bklyngrl11
Reviewed February 1, 2014

A large group of us were staying at the Le Chambord for a wedding held there that weekend. The surroundings and hotel looked quaint when we drove up, but when we entered the inn, there was no one to greet us or check us in. When we finally did get someone to check us in, there was no welcome, and no instructions were given regarding the inn, room location or breakfast times. She instead curtly asked us our names, barely scanned a handwritten room list, and then handed us our keys to two rooms. We then settled in our rooms and left for dinner. However, while we were out, we got multiple calls from other friends trying to check in who told us that the inn staff was accusing us of "stealing and switching rooms" and blaming us for the confusion for the entire party. When we got back to the inn, we chose not to say anything to the inn staff and management as most of our friends had gotten rooms. However, one more couple arrived later that evening and again, we got a call from this couple, saying that check-in DOWNSTAIRS was having a hard time finding a room as they said we had switched rooms without asking and taken the couple's room. This was the 4th time our friends were reporting such things being said about us. At this point, we were very upset about this accusation, so I went downstairs to clarify the situation.

As a service industry, one would think the hotel staff and management would listen to their customers. We had only checked in and gone to the rooms given to us by someone who obviously was careless and did not care about her job. When I tried to explain the situation, an inn staff member again accused us of causing problems with check-in that day for the ENTIRE inn, which I again tried to clarify. Only when another staff member stepped in did I ever hear the faintest of apologies (if you can even call it one).

Yes, the wedding was beautiful and seemed to go off without a hitch that weekend. Yes, we enjoyed seeing old friends from all across the U.S. But the whole incident left a bad taste. When we checked out later that weekend, we never did get any type of real apology or some type of acknowledgement of the distress they caused our entire group. Le Chambord caused this entire situation themselves. There's a cardinal rule in the service industry: "The customer is always right". Too bad this establishment doesn't understand this. t have never had such awful customer service at a hotel or inn as we experienced at the Le Chambord.

Date of stay: September 2013