“Beautiful”
Review of Casa Babi

Casa Babi
Ranked #1 of 10 Vilanculos B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed with a friend here before and after setting off on our Sailaway Dhow safari. What a fabulous place - the staff were so friendly & accommodating and Sabrina even took us to the chapa stand and made sure we were safely installed in the chapa we took down to Machite (I think she thought we were mad taking public transport but she made sure we weren't ripped off!). The location is a little out of town but Vilankulos accommodation seems to be spread out anyway & we didn't have any problems - we walked back along the beach from the gallery at the other end of town for dinner then took a taxi back to the guesthouse. We had lovely views over the sea from our room. The food was excellent - dinner was one of the best meals we had in Mozambique - and breakfast was also delicious. We only wished that we'd had more time to stay here for longer!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
sabrov2, Owner at Casa Babi, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Hello LovLiv, this is such a nice review, especially coming from guests who spent such a short time with us. Thank you very much. Hope you managed to finish your Dive Course in SA and will come and dive on our side one of these days. I hope I didn't look too doubtful about the chapas! They can be pretty uncomfortable but are definitely part of the travelling experience. See you soon hopefully. All the best,

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We just spent an amazing week in Vilankulos and we couldn't have chosen a better place to stay (and eat!!!)
Rooms are very comfortable, have an amazing view of the beach and every detail was taken care of (special plugs, beach towels, even iPod charger). The French owners, Sabrina and Denis, really made us feel at home while giving us the space and independence that we needed. They also organised our open water diving course at the nearby Bazaruto Archipelago, a true paradise. And when we thought it couldn't get any better, dinner was served and it was just the best food I've had in the whole of Africa. Normally we like to explore new restaurants and places but with such nice meals, we hardly made it to other restaurants. I would definitely go back!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
sabrov2, Owner at Casa Babi, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Hello N&G, a million thanks for your great review... and for your company while you were here. I'll share the comments on the kitchen with Myriam and Zita who definitely deserve it! We hope you'll continue diving around the world and are still working on the chocolate fondant to make it perfect for the next time you come! all the best, Sabrina and Denis, all the staff, dogs and cats!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed 4 days at Casa Babi in Vilankulo and this made our honeymoon even more special. Denis and Sabrina are very easygoing while always making sure we were having a very good stay. All the rooms have varandas and face the ocean, with sort of a natural 'plasma' facing the very long Vilankulo beach. Moreover, the rooms were also very nicely decorated and impecably cleaned. We still remeber the daily delicious breakfast, cooked by Rosa and Anita, specially those big fruit plates and homemade jams. Casa Babi was our perfect spot to relax inbetween safaris.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
DenisMoz, Owner at Casa Babi, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

We are very proud you chose Casa Babi for your honeymoon, and even prouder that you enjoyed your stay here so much!

Greeting to Rui
Denis, Sabrina, and the kitchen team

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had a really lovely stay at Casa Babi in May. It was very relaxed and homely, and Sabrina and Denis were always helpful but didn't fuss which we liked. Our upstairs room out of only 4 rooms was large and cool with plenty of space and storage and a beautiful view of the beach and Indian Ocean; a great place for local colour with the fishing boats coming in, but the tides were not always easy for swimming. It was our kind of place and we would go again rather than to some luxury featureless lodge. This is Sabrina and Denis' home and dive business, so it was cosy and personal with good food straight from the sea. We also had the additional excitement of puppies expected but we had to wait for an email from Sabrina when we got home to hear all was well with 7 arrivals! We thank them most warmly for their hospitality

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
sabrov2, Owner at Casa Babi, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Hello John and Anne, all the family, puppies included, thank you for your nice comments on your stay! Sorry for the tides that don't make swimming easy... we'll try to re-organize that as well! We'd be very happy to welcome you back whenever your travels will take you again to this side of the world. All the best

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Travelling by myself I always have to make some research, but I have to say Casa Babi quite amazed me in every way! I was expecting it to be fine but it was great!
I have food intolerances, so my limitations are many. Once I arrive at Casa Babi, I spoke to the owner Sabrina and her staff and they exceeded themselves. They cook from local ingredients, Mozambican products, fresh seafood and use fusion cuisine. Among other things I had the best risotto of my life!!! A calamari risotto! Thanks Miriam ;) They cook astoundingly! Special mention for homemade jams at breakfast!
At the same time I was there, for 2 days there was also a vegetarian guest. The staff managed to adjust the menu so we were all eating at the same time, looking like we were all eating the same thing, but we were 5 people eating 3 different dishes. Even at the dessert!
The ambience is homy, but has a charm, an elegant style, a refined way in every detail! Decoration is Mozambican, but comes out interesting when it´s French and Italian who do it! I´m talking about the owners who welcome you in a special way and make sure your stay is the best possible every day.
Accommodation: really comfortable room, with a nice fan, large mosquito net and everything you could possible need! The mattress is just heaven! Nice bathroom, very airy and classy!

Service: perfect cleaning everywhere! Accommodation and bathroom, eating facilities, hotel shared facilities, pool, gardens.
The location is great. The hotel is literally on the beach! From there you can easily walk to the village; in 10 minutes top you´re in Old Central Market.
Odissea Dive is affiliated with Casa Babi and gives you 15% off if you stay at the Casa. Highly recommended activity if you want to dive or snorkel on Bazaruto Archipelago. I went to snorkel at the reef and it was amazing! They use a speed boat! Super fun!
At Casa Babi they will help you find other tours and activities like horse riding or dhow sailing.
What I paid was more than reasonably priced.
Will be back for sure!
Sara Soares, Lisboa, Portugal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
sabrov2, Owner at Casa Babi, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Ciao Sara, many thanks for such a great and detailes review. I shared it with Myriam and Zita who were so proud on the special mention for the jams and the risotto. They do such a great job it is very nice to see it is so well appreciated. Only surprised you don't talk about the puppies! see you soon hopefully. All the best

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The place is run by a well-traveled and warm French couple who will make sure your stay is very comfortable and cater to all your needs. The atmosphere is low key and homey, but chic and tasteful.

The food deserves special mention: cooked from the local ingredients (mainly seafood), it's very fresh and unique blending the best from many cultures. We loved everything from homemade jams like passion fruit & sweet potato to dinners like prawns and octopus. We tried a few other places in the village, but decided Casa Babi food is the best and stopped cheating:)

Accommodation: when making a choice about where to stay we considered luxury hotels on the islands and very happy we chose this boutique place. You get so much more for 1/3 of the price: fantastic location, real life happening right outside the hotel, really comfortable rooms where you have everything you need.

We went diving with Odissea Dive shop that is affiliated with Casa Babi and gives you 15% off if you stay at the Casa. Highly recommended activity even if you want to snorkel or hike on the islands. Casa will help you find other tours - we tried and highly advise you go on a guided village tour where you can see life how it is beyond the hotels and dhow sailing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hotelguy81
DenisMoz, Owner at Casa Babi, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Many thanks Jonathan for such a nice comment and pictures, and greeting to your lovely wife!

Denis & Sabrina

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I spent wonderful 5 days in June at Casa Babi and would love to return (i'd love to return to Mozambique!) It's a perfect place to relax and leave behind all work stresses. Beautiful view out over the beach and sea. Very comfortable room, excellent food, good chat at the bar, easy walk into town. I went snorkeling with them and it was excellent. Excellent patient service on the trip (particularly for clods like me who aren't totally at ease keeping my head underwater) and a great snorkeling location. Had a wonderful time (I still say "star fish" rather than "sea star" though.)

Sabrine and Denis provided me with good practical info on getting to Vilankulo from Maputo (I took the Intercap bus) and then to their Casa from the bus. They put me in touch with Faquir who does a great guided tour of the town.

I did a long walk along the beach beyond the harbor and popped into a couple of the expensive places to stay. Got the impression that Casa Babi is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JenONeill
DenisMoz, Owner at Casa Babi, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Many thanks for this nice review, Jennifer,

For the last time, a fish has bones, plus most of the times fins, and the mouth and anus are quite distant, which is not the case for a sea star.

;)
All the team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilanculos
Bahia Mar Boutique Hotel
#4 of 9 in Vilanculos
Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort
Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Bazaruto Island

Been to Casa Babi? Share your experiences!