“PADI course”
Review of Odyssea Dive

Odyssea Dive
Ranked #4 of 18 things to do in Vilanculos
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive or snorkel on the amazing Bazaruto Archipelago, climb the amazing Dune of Bazaruto, admire one of the best reef in Mozambique, and have a look at the desert paradise of Benguerra.Day trip everyday with our speed boat from Vilanculos.English, Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese spoken.
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We got recommended Odyssey by the Hotel we stayed in and thank god for the recommendation! The guys are extremely friendly and very patient with all of the tasks that we are asked to do when completing our PADI course. Seriously, i am an experienced diver who traveled with my girlfriend and friends who did the course and the team couldn't have been better in helping them get their certificates. The diving is also fabulous set in a national park with rays, turtles, angel fish, crocodile fish etc etc the list goes on! As well as Dolphin sitings on the boat to the dive!

1  Thank Rob M
DenisMoz, Owner at Odyssea Dive, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Nice review Rob, many thanks!

We hope to see you all again!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Thank you Francisco for the wonderfull dive experience, what a turtule we saw, and Sabrina for organizing, we will definitely be back.

Thank you GoncaloF74!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Some positive remarks first. Virginie and Francisco were some of the best dive guides I had in more than 25 years diving and more than 300 dives on my clock. All briefings were spot-on. It wasn't their fault that the dive sites here do not offer anything special

No reason to travel to Mozambique for what's to see under water. Especially if you consider the price for a 2-tank-dive here. Hawaii, Egypt, Indonesia - it is cheaper almost everywhere where I have been diving in the world. Some places in the Caribbean and Australia beeing the exception. 2 meager sandwiches for lunch and one bottle of water for the whole day? That is penny pinching. It must be the lack of competition that allows such a outrageous pricing.

The gear seemed to be in less than optimal condition. Several o-rings blew in a group of only 8. I was on dive boats with 30 divers in the Red Sea and that didn't happen once. Could it have been coincidence or bad luck?

What was definitefly no bad luck were the fins. There are fins suitable for snorkling and then there are those for scuba. This has a reason. Having to use snorklers fins is not acceptable for such a high price. For that I expect adequate gear. The instructors had proper fins (probably their own) the rest had to cope with what they gave us.

If you have very deep pockets and not seen much before in your divers life, you might like it - otherwise go someplace else.

4  Thank HappyShake
DenisMoz, Owner at Odyssea Dive, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thanks for your comments, HappyShake, it's always good to receive "average" comments, it helps to improve...

We are very proud of the quality of our instructors, and they were happy about what you said regarding their briefings.

Quality of the dive sites: you must have been very unlucky. Two Mile and Sao Sebastiao are considered as ones of the best dive sites in Mozambique. It's still the ocean, the visibility might have been poor this day, but I can't believe you haven't seen some of our turtles, devil rays, giant groupers and the full range of tropical fish we have here, on a pristine coral reef.

Price: the day trip is 90km long, on a speed boat. If we could do cheaper, we would... I don't know Hawaii, but for sure Indonesia and Egypt are much cheaper and offer great dives. They have as well bigger boats, and much more divers, above and underwater. Were you talking about a group of 30??? We never have more than 10, then in two groups, and usually we are the only boat on the reef... Explains the price! And there is competition here...

Sandwiches? most of our guests love them! I'm sure you will find comments on trip advisor, either on Odyssea's page or Casa Babi's. Did you like the cookies, back at the dive center? They are quite famous here...

Equipment - o-rings: this is actually a nightmare for us. All o-rings are tested before departure. It's so hot here in summer that they suffer a lot. We try to put some shade on the boat as much as we can (not easy on a speed boat) to protect the gear, doesn't help much. Now, we sometimes have one or two blowing in a day. Most of the times, none. We are actually moving to DIN regulators to reduce this known problem.

Equipment - fins: I take it. We use Aqualung Caravelle fins, sold for divers. They can be a little bit weak for a strong diver in current. I would love to change them all for Stratos fins, stronger - and not so expensive, but Aqualung doesn't do them in yellow anymore, and I want bright fins for safety reason if the visibility is poor. I will look for other brands... The closer dive shop is 1500km away, please understand it's not easy to extend the number of my providers. The instructors have their own, powerful fins, of course, they have their powerful legs as well and are supposed to be able to rescue quickly any diver into problem. Most of our divers would get cramps using this kind of fins...

Equipment - not said: wetsuits, most of them brand new. BCD, regulators, any leak? that would be a real problem...

Anyway, we are already working on this o-ring problem, and I will work more about the fins, starting with asking my guests if they really would prefer stronger ones.

Kind regards,
Denis

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We knew that Bazaruto is a fantastic place but we didn't know that the 2-mile-reef is such a beautiful place for diving/snorkeling. We travelled with a 21 month old baby girl; so I skipped the diving and my wife and me snorkeled instead. Let me assure you that we were really happy to go with Odyssea Dive. We felt very comfortable with them and had an awesome day.

DenisMoz, Owner at Odyssea Dive, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Many thanks for your great comment!

Indeed, Two Mile is great for diving and snorkeling.

Our skippers love kids and would have been super happy to take care of your 21 month old baby girl, so you would have been able to dive...

Next time?

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I travelled to Vilanculos specifically to do my Open Water Course with Odyssea Dive. My husband is an experienced diver, but I have always been extremely afraid of the sea.
On our last visit to Vilanculos in June 2013 we managed to get me as far a the snorkelling trip with Odyssea Dive which despite being terrified I actually enjoyed.... so I decided to take the plunge.
I needed however to do it in an area I was familiar with, and where I vaguely knew the drill, so all that would not be too much of a shock.
Having done the snorkelling before I had already experienced the long ride out on the boat and the 'washing machine' plus I have watched how the divers do their checks and go off the boat, so I could visualise it and that helped. For any nervous people that might want to learn to dive I highly recommend doing a snorkel first, just seeing that bit is really helpful!

My instructor was Virginie Montaner. One of the most patient women I have ever had the pleasure to meet. We worked slowly together over the 4 days, and she kept everything at a pace where I would feel comfortable and not freak out...yet still actually moving forward.
There were certain skills like the mask clearing that I was very nervous about doing, but when it came to it and we were on the sea floor doing it she managed to create such a feeling of calm that it was no problem at all. Virginie is a fabulous instructor :o)

My husband dived mostly with Francisco and the rest of the group of divers, and has some fabulous video. he hasn't stopped talking about the trip!

I cannot recommend Odyssea Dive highly enough.

Great review, Gemma!

I must say Virginie is quite proud of herself, but you did most of the job!

Greetings to Tarron...