“Vila Do Paraiso & HAC, never forgotten...”
Review of Vila Do Paraiso

Vila Do Paraiso
Reviewed April 8, 2013

You can look at any picture to see how beautiful Mozambique is and I’m sure there are many luxurious resorts. I’m going to tell you why I think Vila Do Paraiso and HAC Airlines are the ones to choose.
There were 8 of us traveling from Johannesburg, we were luckily enough to fly by private charter on HAC Airlines. I have flown on Emirates, KLM, Air France, BA. SAA and our local airlines but I have never experienced anything like this.
We were met at Lanseria Airport by the HAC crew. Our luggage was whisked away and not seen again until we were in our Villa in Mozambique. We were flying in the morning so had a scrumptious buffet breakfast with everything any one could ask for.
Our seats were made of soft leather which reclined and swivelled so you could talk to anyone on the plane without breaking your neck to do so. Our crew consisted of Dave, our pilot, Craig, the co-pilot and Sue, our wonderful stewardess. I always thought private charters to be for the rich but if you are travelling in a group it is worth it checking out the price. It may work out more or less the same as a commercial airline.
We were met at Vilanculos Airport by Sean, it was a short drive to Vila Do Paraiso were we Shown to our Villas by our Stewards who also took care of our luggage.
Our Steward was William who obviously wanted to make sure we had everything we wanted or needed. The Villa was beautiful, we had 4 double bedrooms, a downstairs and upstairs lounge, an upper deck and a lower deck with a private pool. Each villa has a selection of board games which we found to be great fun.
We ate breakfast and dinner at the pool bar situated just above the beach. The food was delicious and the seafood freshly caught.
On both days we were there we took a boat to the Islands. We saw Dolphins, Dugong, Sand Sharks, Leather Back Turtles and more fish than we can remember.
Can you imagine an island without a single foot print, it felt as though we were the only people to have ever been there. The water was crystal clear, we swam and snorkelled with the swarms of small fish that thrive in the area.
Our crew set up a gazebo and a delicious braai for us for lunch. We sat under the gazebo eating, chatting and playing board games until the tide changed and the water crept up or legs forcing us to return to the boat. By the time we set off for our Villa our island was gone, only to return with the next turn of the tide.
When we got back to Vila Do Paraiso we were met on the beach by our stewards with cold scented face cloths which were very welcome after a long hot day in the sun. It was then into the pool for an hour until dinner.
I could go on and on about how amazing our trip was. If you are thinking about going to Mozambique please contact HAC (flyhac.com) or Vila Do Paraiso (viladoparaiso.com). They made us feel more than just a customer, they made us feel welcome and to me that makes all the difference.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 5. Fantastic view, 2 lounges, 2 upstairs bedrooms had private decks.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lesleykzn

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were a group of seven guys that visited VDP on a fishing trip. We were picked up at the airport and once we arrived, we were welcomed by the friendly staff to a stunning 4 bedroom (all en suite) house, outside was a patio with it's own private pool, overlooking the beautiful ocean. During daytime we would go fishing on a huge supercat. Once we got back on land we would treat ourselves at the pool bar with some fine R&R ( Rum & Raspberry ) and then we would go up to our unit's patio to be spoiled by our butler ( William ) with some Tutti Fruitti ( a cocktail made with vodka, fruit juice and some fresh fruit ) , there William would treat us with superb dinners like shrimp cocktail, peri-peri prawns, fresh sashimi to nice bbqd steak and chops. We really enjoyed our stay and we were treated like nobles, perfect venue for family or friends!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Klipkraal
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I am sure any one with descent family values can only agree to rate VDP as exceptional. This destination is for people who want time with their family having great fishing, snorkeling and scuba diving adventures which include your whole family, then this is for you. The managers and staff work hard to please you but also give you your privacy, wonderful people wonderful place, no problem recommending this one on.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We love visiting Vila Do Paraiso! It has a great location, right up from the beach and within walking distance from the shops. The houses are clean and well kitted-out, with fantastic views of the renowned Indian Ocean. The managers, Shaun and Charne, are lovely people, friendly and welcoming. They are always willing to help, and the staff are polite and friendly. We heartily recommend this as the place to stay for a family vacation!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2012

What a place!
Stayed here with friends after it was recommended to me.
Stayed at VDP for 10 nights in mid August and our time there couldn't have been better. Fantastic house with acres of space and brilliant house staff who cooked the most amazing dishes for us. Our every whim was catered for with nothing being too much trouble.

Mr & Mrs O'Donovan were the perfect hosts during our time; sorting out shopping, fixing troublesome generators and aircon units and all other manner of ad-hoc tasks as they cropped up. We felt very welcome indeed from the unloading of our vehicle when we arrived until it was time to depart.
Would thoroughly recommend staying here. I will certainly be doing so and judging by the comments in the guest-book, so will a lot of other people.
Mr O'Donovan was also very ill during our time there - I do hope he has now fully recovered.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SofabedDan
Reviewed September 14, 2012

If you are looking for lovely self-catering houses with a great location and don’t mind being verbally assaulted, insulted, condescended to and made to cry by the nasty piece of work who serves as manager, then Villas Do Paraiso is for you.
I’ve noted that the several other reviews of this property are generally positive, but my experience was exceptionally different. From the outset when the manager was annoyed to have to show the unit during lunch time to the fact that I somehow was made to feel guilty for the geyser (hot water) not working, I felt uncomfortable and unwelcome, was yelled at, accused of lying and smoking illicit substances (the only thing I’ve smoked for the last 20 years is over-the-counter cancer sticks!).
Having for years worked in service industries, including hospitality, I can tell you that the denigrating treatment I received was despicable. I don’t care if for some reason a guest rubs you the wrong way, when you toil in the hospitality trade, you are tasked with catering to the client, to creating a happy and memorable experience, and to treating each and every paying customer with respect. For as we all know, word of mouth goes a long way. Not to mention Trip Advisor reviews. But I couldn’t get a smile out of this sour-faced woman, every attempt at friendliness I made was met with a snide rebuke. To wit: Having spent a few days on an island I told her how wonderful it was and asked if she’s been. Her aggressive response: “No. SOME of us have to work!” Huh? Are you implying that your guests don’t work to pay for their holiday?
Let’s begin with what turned into a hellish experience at the beginning: I stayed at Villa Do Parasio twice, separated by a three day hiatus. I was given (probably a low season, single person) quote for the expansive house. I was thrilled. DSTV, laundry, the works. First day there was no hot water and I reported it. There was a charity event going on that weekend on the property, and I was in fact informed before I checked in that it might be noisy. No problem. I was down there enjoying the festivities. My issue was that outside people were parking on the property and potentially blocking my car in. Oh, how absolutely horrible that I cited my concern!
Second time I returned I was given a different house which had a bit of an ant infestation. When I asked if they had any bug spray I was dismissed with a curt “no” so I went out and purchased my own. Then the DSTV stopped working. I realize some folks don’t want to watch TV on holiday, but I was happy to have a chance to relax in front of the boob tube. I was aggressively told that the bill had been paid, but hey, can’t control the cable company and besides for my rate, DSTV isn’t normally offered. When I mentioned that since all the units had TV, I just assumed it was included, I was dismissed offhandedly. “Really, are you kidding?” She maligned. “For what you’re paying?” I felt two inches tall. Then I came home one evening and the air conditioning wasn’t working in the bedroom. By this time I was simply too afraid to report this so did without. Afraid? Of the manager of a place where I am a paying guest? But so it was. Finally, I was emerging from the shower, unclothed with the bedroom door open and hear the cleaning guy in the kitchen. I went in and requested that he not enter the premises without first knocking. Not an unreasonable request I thought. I asked him to leave until I was dressed. He reported to the manager that I didn’t want him to come in the house. When I indicated that I never said that, she responded that I was lying. No, I’m not. “So are you calling him a liar?” No, I’m not calling anyone a liar I said. I suspect it was simply a misunderstanding due to the language barrier. But why must I even explain? If I didn’t want the house cleaned, wasn’t that my prerogative anyway while I’m in residence?
Besides, she queried, “Were you walking around the house naked?”. No. “So what’s the problem?” Yowza. But what if I WAS walking around naked? My space, my prerogative, no? Just knock before entering please. The real issue is how she spoke to me. I felt diminished and cowed. Knots in my stomach type nervousness. Whatever happened to the service philosophy that the customer is always right. Even when we’re not, there’s a diplomatic way to handle such situations. At the resort in Costa Rica at which I worked, customers were upgraded, given free services, etc… all in the name of making and keeping them happy. But sadly, that ethos has seemed to escape this manager. Customer service is a tough gig. You need to have the patience, empathy and temperament to deal with all sorts of clients. One thing you don’t do is insult, demean or otherwise ostracize your guest. It’s just not cool. And it’s not good for business. So, to the managers of Praia do Paraiso, I respectfully and humbly submit that if you can’t or don’t want to deal with the small stuff, or clients you deem irritating -- and if you’ve got your own problems as you told me after I mentioned mourning the loss of my father -- well again, I respectfully submit that you are better suited for another type of job.
I hope the owners read this, because they should be aware of how their beautiful property is being marred by less than beautiful managers. This experience totally soured my otherwise nice time in Vilankulo. Great property, horrific management. Buyer Beware!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank GailLosAngeles
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Many places call themselves paradise, few deserve it – this one does! We thoroughly enjoyed this secluded spot where we could totally unwind and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere. We stayed for 8 days with four adults and our 3 year old son – but our house could cater up to 8 people comfortably in four self-contained bedrooms (each with its own bathroom).

Vila do Paraiso is situated in the North of Vilanculos, with a pristine beach at its doorstep. The town is within walking distance, though for shopping you would want to use a car (transport can be offered by Vilas do Paraiso. Our house was beautifully furnished and decorated with nothing missing and an excellent fully equipped kitchen. The villas are well-built houses that are windproof, should you require to close windows and doors (other than other most places we saw around the bay). Most bedrooms have marvellous views of the ocean and each house has a small swimming pool on their terrace. Houses come with their own staff – so you need not worry about cleaning nor cooking, all done by friendly, professional staff. The management even offer you a shopping list that you can fill prior to arrival and you will find all items already waiting for you when you arrive – we certainly appreciated this service.

There is also a restaurant/bar on the premises by the pool overlooking the ocean and offering a good menu. The establishment also offers fishing trips and other watersports, which we didn't do, but we certainly enjoyed the marvellous fish. Diving is possible in nearby Vilanculos Beach Lodge which run a professional PADI dive center.

Vilas do Paraiso are excellently run by Sharne and Shaun, who are wonderful hosts and are most helpful to advise on anything you may require – from Dhow trips to the island to best shopping in town.

Vilas do Paraiso are the perfect holiday destination and we certainly hope to return very soon!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dirk M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilanculos
Bahia Mar Boutique Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bazaruto Island
Vilanculos Beach Lodge
Vilanculos Beach Lodge
#2 of 25 in Vilanculos

Been to Vila Do Paraiso? Share your experiences!