“lOVELY pROPERTY, THE WORST EVER MANAGERS”
Review of Vila Do Paraiso

Vila Do Paraiso
Los Angeles
“lOVELY pROPERTY, THE WORST EVER MANAGERS”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

If you are looking for lovely self-catering houses with a great location and don’t mind being verbally assaulted, insulted, condescended to and made to cry by the nasty piece of work who serves as manager, then Villas Do Paraiso is for you.
I’ve noted that the several other reviews of this property are generally positive, but my experience was exceptionally different. From the outset when the manager was annoyed to have to show the unit during lunch time to the fact that I somehow was made to feel guilty for the geyser (hot water) not working, I felt uncomfortable and unwelcome, was yelled at, accused of lying and smoking illicit substances (the only thing I’ve smoked for the last 20 years is over-the-counter cancer sticks!).
Having for years worked in service industries, including hospitality, I can tell you that the denigrating treatment I received was despicable. I don’t care if for some reason a guest rubs you the wrong way, when you toil in the hospitality trade, you are tasked with catering to the client, to creating a happy and memorable experience, and to treating each and every paying customer with respect. For as we all know, word of mouth goes a long way. Not to mention Trip Advisor reviews. But I couldn’t get a smile out of this sour-faced woman, every attempt at friendliness I made was met with a snide rebuke. To wit: Having spent a few days on an island I told her how wonderful it was and asked if she’s been. Her aggressive response: “No. SOME of us have to work!” Huh? Are you implying that your guests don’t work to pay for their holiday?
Let’s begin with what turned into a hellish experience at the beginning: I stayed at Villa Do Parasio twice, separated by a three day hiatus. I was given (probably a low season, single person) quote for the expansive house. I was thrilled. DSTV, laundry, the works. First day there was no hot water and I reported it. There was a charity event going on that weekend on the property, and I was in fact informed before I checked in that it might be noisy. No problem. I was down there enjoying the festivities. My issue was that outside people were parking on the property and potentially blocking my car in. Oh, how absolutely horrible that I cited my concern!
Second time I returned I was given a different house which had a bit of an ant infestation. When I asked if they had any bug spray I was dismissed with a curt “no” so I went out and purchased my own. Then the DSTV stopped working. I realize some folks don’t want to watch TV on holiday, but I was happy to have a chance to relax in front of the boob tube. I was aggressively told that the bill had been paid, but hey, can’t control the cable company and besides for my rate, DSTV isn’t normally offered. When I mentioned that since all the units had TV, I just assumed it was included, I was dismissed offhandedly. “Really, are you kidding?” She maligned. “For what you’re paying?” I felt two inches tall. Then I came home one evening and the air conditioning wasn’t working in the bedroom. By this time I was simply too afraid to report this so did without. Afraid? Of the manager of a place where I am a paying guest? But so it was. Finally, I was emerging from the shower, unclothed with the bedroom door open and hear the cleaning guy in the kitchen. I went in and requested that he not enter the premises without first knocking. Not an unreasonable request I thought. I asked him to leave until I was dressed. He reported to the manager that I didn’t want him to come in the house. When I indicated that I never said that, she responded that I was lying. No, I’m not. “So are you calling him a liar?” No, I’m not calling anyone a liar I said. I suspect it was simply a misunderstanding due to the language barrier. But why must I even explain? If I didn’t want the house cleaned, wasn’t that my prerogative anyway while I’m in residence?
Besides, she queried, “Were you walking around the house naked?”. No. “So what’s the problem?” Yowza. But what if I WAS walking around naked? My space, my prerogative, no? Just knock before entering please. The real issue is how she spoke to me. I felt diminished and cowed. Knots in my stomach type nervousness. Whatever happened to the service philosophy that the customer is always right. Even when we’re not, there’s a diplomatic way to handle such situations. At the resort in Costa Rica at which I worked, customers were upgraded, given free services, etc… all in the name of making and keeping them happy. But sadly, that ethos has seemed to escape this manager. Customer service is a tough gig. You need to have the patience, empathy and temperament to deal with all sorts of clients. One thing you don’t do is insult, demean or otherwise ostracize your guest. It’s just not cool. And it’s not good for business. So, to the managers of Praia do Paraiso, I respectfully and humbly submit that if you can’t or don’t want to deal with the small stuff, or clients you deem irritating -- and if you’ve got your own problems as you told me after I mentioned mourning the loss of my father -- well again, I respectfully submit that you are better suited for another type of job.
I hope the owners read this, because they should be aware of how their beautiful property is being marred by less than beautiful managers. This experience totally soured my otherwise nice time in Vilankulo. Great property, horrific management. Buyer Beware!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank GailLosAngeles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Pretoria
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Many places call themselves paradise, few deserve it – this one does! We thoroughly enjoyed this secluded spot where we could totally unwind and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere. We stayed for 8 days with four adults and our 3 year old son – but our house could cater up to 8 people comfortably in four self-contained bedrooms (each with its own bathroom).

Vila do Paraiso is situated in the North of Vilanculos, with a pristine beach at its doorstep. The town is within walking distance, though for shopping you would want to use a car (transport can be offered by Vilas do Paraiso. Our house was beautifully furnished and decorated with nothing missing and an excellent fully equipped kitchen. The villas are well-built houses that are windproof, should you require to close windows and doors (other than other most places we saw around the bay). Most bedrooms have marvellous views of the ocean and each house has a small swimming pool on their terrace. Houses come with their own staff – so you need not worry about cleaning nor cooking, all done by friendly, professional staff. The management even offer you a shopping list that you can fill prior to arrival and you will find all items already waiting for you when you arrive – we certainly appreciated this service.

There is also a restaurant/bar on the premises by the pool overlooking the ocean and offering a good menu. The establishment also offers fishing trips and other watersports, which we didn't do, but we certainly enjoyed the marvellous fish. Diving is possible in nearby Vilanculos Beach Lodge which run a professional PADI dive center.

Vilas do Paraiso are excellently run by Sharne and Shaun, who are wonderful hosts and are most helpful to advise on anything you may require – from Dhow trips to the island to best shopping in town.

Vilas do Paraiso are the perfect holiday destination and we certainly hope to return very soon!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Dirk M
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed as a family of four, with two teenagers, in August 2011.
Wonderful, wonderful location. Sean and Sharme are most helpful and realy helped to make our stay that much more special - never afraid to give advice and to help, including a taxi service to a restaurant on our last night.
The houses are wonderful - very, very large, clean, well decorated and furnished.
Mateus, our house assistant, was always on hand to tend to our every need - cleaning, washing, prepping and making the most wonderful bread.
The new restaurant/bar and infinity pool in the grounds are fantastic - worth eating there.
The beach is a stones throw away and incredible, Trips out to Bazaruto and 2 mile reef are a must. We just wish we had speant more time and seen some more of Vilanculos.
Mozambique is stunning. Go and be amazed. Go to Vilanculos ad stay at Vila do Paraiso.
Issues ?
One night the local club played music very loud. Not really a tremendous problem and not something anyone could do anything about.

Room Tip: All of the houses are fantastic !
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob T
London
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Travelled from the UK and spent a few days at Vila Do Paraiso after spending some time in the Kruger Park in South Africa. Flights were direct and very easy. We could not have felt more welcomed and Sharne made the trip completely seamless.

The villas are stunning all with beach views and private pools. The terraces are amazing and everything was spotless. Shopping and cooking was all done for us and the house attendant was brilliant. Would thoroughly recommend the speed boat trip to the islands as they are deserted with great snorkelling and crystal waters.

Walking around Vilanculos this is easily the best place in the area, completely safe and you would not want to be anywhere else. A very personalised and friendly service which will only get better...especially with the stunning new beach bar! After staying here we travelled down to Tofo and Barra in the south. Villa Do Paraiso is a much classier location with Vilanculos being equally if not more stunning.

Will definitely be recommending Vila Do Parasio to all of our friends and it is an absolute must especially if travelling to the Kruger Park area.

Thanks to Sharne, Shaun and the team for making our stay so special and memorable. We hope to see you all again soon.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Villa do Paraiso was everything and more.

We decided to go self catering this time round and by the time we arrived at the Villa - our shopping had been done - from a list issued to us before arrival.

Direct flights from Johannesburg were pleasant, on time and safe.

The Villas are absolutely spotless and serviced by a houseman who also does all the required cooking if you so wish. The houseman and ground staff keep the property in immaculate condition and the resident wild fowl and prolific bird life are awesome.

The bathrooms are state of the art luxury and hot water supplied by gas means no waiting for hot water. DSTV and DVD's kept us entertained.

The beaches are spotless and trips to the Islands are arranged by the Lodge. The water transport was safe and reliable and the crew were most helpful in finding whales and schools of dolphin. A trip to The islands of Bazarutto and Benguerra is a must.

The Villas are enormous with 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and total each villa has it's own private swimming pool on the decked patio.

The managers always informed us of any special foods that were available and the driver would then purchase the most sublime local prawns for us.

There are many restaurants in the town and we tried them all.

Overall - a wonderful stay and a pleasant self catering experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple