“Expected better”

and 1 more site!
Pestana Inhaca Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Inhaca Island
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Overall I was disappointed. I was not expecting great luxury, but had been told the food was good - it wasn't. One of the attractions of Mozambique is great sea food - each night we had a buffet and it was mediocre, with poorly done food, poorly presented and overcooked fish - the prawns ran out.

There was a constant kitchen smell in the dining and lounge areas.

The pool is great except they overdo the salt !

I found the staff unenthusiastic about doing any of the activities on offer if the weather wasn't clear, calm sunshine (which it wasn't for the 2 days we were there). I would have been happy to windsurf/ canoe in a drizzle; or snorkel in less than perfect visibility, have a fish etc, but they were not interested.

Positives: friendly hotel staff, rooms not too bad, comfortable beds, good cocktails. The flight over was fun and the ferry back (2hrs) was relaxing.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank HBWhiteRiver

Reviewed October 25, 2007

Booked the hotel through Pestana homepage. As it was not clear about the transfer facilities form Maputo, wrote the email to them and never got the reply.
Hotel itself is for sure the best on the island, but nothing special indeed. Not more than 3 stars, although they claim 4.
Spacious AC rooms, however no great views trough the window: just either another rooms or distant fence.
Swimming pool is OK, although it is worth the short motorboat trip to the Portugiese island to enjoy the beach, as the beach at the hotel side is not as nice and sometimes quite busy with fishermen boats.
Food is also OK, but do not expect too much. However, the best Prego Nao Pao (beef in bread) in Mozambique.
All in all: OK hotel to spend the week-end, but nothing more.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Kasparainens
Reviewed June 16, 2007

First, let me say that I wrote the hotel a letter of praise and complaint and they have been very nice and offered me a repeat stay over the next year and if I can find the time, I will definitely go again.

We arrived on Inhaca by air and were picked up at the airport and immediately felt the positive spirit of the island when the local children chased us down the road racing the open pickup not begging just running for the fun of it.

The facilities of the hotel, both public and our room were all in very good shape, not overly-polished five star but very nice four star. OK, the fan in our room (there was air conditioning/heating too) was noisy but not so much so that we complained to have it fixed.

The first thing we did was swim in the ocean, the beach was lovely, water was very nice perhaps a bit cool but it's winter in the southern hemisphere in June. Next we went to check out the water sports which is why we were there, after all. Unfortunately the Hobie cats and windsurfers had not yet arrived so we scheduled some scuba dives and snorklling for the next few days.

Dinner that night was superb. Lots of Queen prawns, enough so that my wife and I had to struggle to finish all of them (and we are big hearty eaters). In addition there was a buffet with salads, samosas and a stir-fry.

Breakfast the next morning was also buffet with a full-english breakfast, cerials, fruit salad etc. Good stuff and lots of it.

Unfortunately there are very substantial tides at Inhaca and the boats can only go out at high tide so there was only diving in the afternoon while we were there. We decided to sit by the pool and watched the fisherman unload their boats. It was lovely seeing the people from the village help unload the boats (they could walk right out to them as the sand dried).

The pool is very large and relatively deep. It is salt water but there are showers when you get out so you don't dry out with salt on you when you sunbathe. Strangely the pool is cooler than the sea.

When we got to snorkle, we found visibility was not all that good. There were some very nice fish, rays, etc.

The staff were all very nice.

Minuses?

The entertainer at dinner was extremely annoying, we think he had one album by Satchmo and he tried to imitate it using a keyboard, trumpet and scratchy voice.

Diving is much more expensive than we are used to paying in South Africa. Because of the tides you are limited to one dive a day most days. Also because of the tides the visibility can be limited as it churns up the silt.

Dinner can be hit or miss. There is not a wide variety to choose from and mostly buffet style. As breakfast and dinner are included, you might choose to eat lunch in the village. We found Lukas Place to be lovely when it doesn't rain.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ibkazin
Reviewed May 2, 2007

I loved staying at Inhaca Pestana Lodge. The place is very nice with the palm trees, and the great sun shining. The food was ok, and during dinner there was a very good group of singers to welcome the guests. The staff is very nice, but some times a bit slow, but if you are enjoying the sun and calm of Inhaca, like I was, you forget that. It was a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We went to Inhaca to spend our 6th anniversary and it was like a second honey-moon to us. We had a great time over there. We booked by the internet. When we arrived we also booked by the Pestana Inhaca Lodge trips to the Farol (light house), to the Portuguese Island and to snorkel to see the corals of the island.
We also spend a lot of time in the pool, relaxing. Over there you have a great view to Portuguese Island and to the ocean. We also saw the beautiful sunset. You can also have brunch or lunch near the pool. They have great natural fruit juices. The waitresses are very friendly.
The room was clean and with a perfect decoration matching the colors of the island. The bathroom was also clean. At night a nice waitress came to our room to put the mosquito net over our bed.
We also tasted Mozambique’s most popular dishes, as “caril de carangueijo”, delicious fishes and some deserts. The food was delicious. I even congratulated the cooker.
In Saturday, during our dinner, we had Inhaca’s dancers and players. It was great to find out more about the culture of the island.
It is a little bit expensive, but I will recommend to some of my friends that are planning to come to Mozambique next summer. I also sent them some pictures of Inhaca Island and the Pestana Inhaca Lodge and they loved it.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vi0let
Reviewed April 22, 2007

I came from Portugal to spend my first holidays in Africa.
I was expecting to visit some of the most famous spots on the surroundings.
Regarding that I have booked some days in Bazaruto and in Kruger National Park as well as in Pemba.
Unfortunately due to the cyclone, my days in Bazaruto were gone…. :((
Kindly the Pestana Staff immediately prompt to change me to Pestana Inhaca Lodge.
I can not deny that I felt disappointed because I was expecting something different. However, everything went so well at Pestana Inhaca that I almost forgot about my disappointment.
I have some wonderful days there for me to remember later.
Nice food, nice views, and most of all extremely kind service. The weather was nice to, and we enjoy the swimming pool with some soft drinks :))
Congratulations to Pestana Hotel Staff and thank you so much for such pleasant holydays.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank smille
Reviewed April 21, 2007

Hello everybody.

Happy new year @ Inhaca was fun, fun, fun….

For the first time all my family were there eating, drinking, swimming, trying to sleep…… and for the kids…… too much fun.

A trip to the Portuguese Island… for free…. For 3 hours (it is a desert island)…. Simply PARADISE.

The service and the food, 5 stars in a 4 stars Hotel.

Price / quality very good.

Go there, I will again….. this year…

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
Polana Serena Hotel
#3 of 23 in Maputo
Montebelo Girassol Maputo Hotel
Maputo AFECC Gloria Hotel

Been to Pestana Inhaca Lodge? Share your experiences!