“Definately worth a visit”

Ndomo Bogolan Textile Workshop
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Segou
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Definately worth a visit”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

The Ndomo workshop is a social enterprise run by a very talented artist, Boubacar Doumbia, who employs and trains young people from Ségou who together, make beautiful cloths that are sold worldwide. Check out [---]
I have been three times, taking friends new to Mali and each time I understand things better. The demonstration and workshop is really good and hands on participation is encouraged. As well as being introduced to the vegetable dyes used and the plants that they come from, you will be told the meaning of some the symbols used in Bogalon, and get to design your own fragment using the symbols. If nothing else, you will appreciate just how skilled these guys are. After visiting you will see the Bogalon cloth in a new light - understand it's a language, not just squiggles on a cloth. Well worth it. It's free and there is no pressure to buy, but you will probably want to.

Visited February 2011

Saline, Michigan
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“I am glad I spent the morning at Ndomo.”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Traveling with 4 others for 5 weeks in West Africa, I was not interested in learning about bogolan products but I went anyway. The presentation by the Ndomo staff was enthusiastic and I was soon caught up in the demonstration of the process; made all the more fun & interesting when I got to design and hands-on produce my own small fabric. The result was amateurish but is now on my home bookshelf with other neat travel items. The gift shop was excellent: fixed prices made for no hassle, no pressure to buy and nice variety of items to choose from. Do it!

Visited February 2011